It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffins: What is the Point?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

Cremation should be mandatory unless they met with suspected foul play, but the ship has sailed and if they want to put me in a sack and swing me over their shoulders, I will not care one bit. As to whether or not I want them to do that to my loved one, no problem play a song and dance to the beat.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Lol, we can all agree somewhere sometimes

...still don't believe in the soul claims though of course, and I'm happy enough just knowing my Mam will be feeding worms and an oak tree when she goes.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

This is all you need:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sure would be nicer to just celebrate the life, rather than mourn. The military plots are just space takers too. If they served us with honor, we can still honor them in a different way, unless there was foul play, cremate them and memorialize them in a mausoleum.

Thank you for your service, too.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

originally posted by: CallYourBluff

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: CallYourBluff

Funerals are the same thing... Just a racket. You don't need a body to have a funeral. Get your friends together at someone's house and talk about the deceased. You don't have to pay someone who has no idea who the departed even is.

What utter drivel.It's about respect, for the deceased and those wishing to pay their respects.

You sound like a mortician!

Don't give the game away.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The Egyptian mummified because they believed the body was needed for the afterlife and resurrection.

The Zoatrians were told to let the flesh be removed from the bones by natural causes outside the city, without touching the body. Then they could move the bones.

This Jews burried or entombed the dead then the bones were placed in an ossuary, likely an extension of Zoatrians.

The Christians bury the dead and leave the bodies/bones because the texts say the dead will rise from the graves.

Hindus cremate with a few exceptions.

The burial or cremation practices all come from the various religions. Most of these practices seem to be written for sanitary disposal without contamination of the people, and to avoid superstition.

However some misunderstand the metaphors in the texts and still believe in the ancient superstitions.

edit on 20-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You must realise funerals, coffins and burials are for the living not the dead. The dead don't give a hoot at what hapens to them. So when you realise that then there is only one conclusion you can come to and that is the vanity of the living.
Or "oh look at how extravagant our dear departed is being sent off" because we really loved them.
I have seen quite a few extravagant, expensive funerals with mountains of flowers and churches full of mourners, yet the dead people were the most evil, nasty and dangerous people you would not want to meet.
Vanity, vanity it's all vanity.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The point is profit, and I believe has darker intentions then what people in society are lead to believe...

I think the soul/consciousness of that person, is still self aware, in another space.

Which is NOT the space of 5/PHI - Geometry (human body).. but a plane of existence where awareness is still self aware and can operate on thought and feeling excluding physicality.

As the spirit separates from body, it happens quite quickly in most cases, but the spirit can linger around and the believe the body acts as a BRIDGE until that conscious spirit finds its way on the other side.

Locking the now dead body up in a geometric box, hinders the bridge and pathway for the spirit to cross over. Also, adding a tombstone over it represents "dead weight", weighing the spirit down in the underworld.

I think burying via coffin is sick. Also, cremation is destroying that bridge so fast with fire, this to me seems like a bad deal for a lingering spirit. . And utterly destroys the bridge.

But that's my understanding, could be way off lol. I'm open though

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

As far as the cemetary itself: Sacred Space. For most people, it works better than having a reminisce with Grandpa Joe at the park (looking like an insane person) or in your living room. People want a set-aside place for the thoughts and emotions.

Now as far as the coffin, I personally want a wood box that will rot nicely. I want to decompose fast and furious, with the help of insects, worms, bacteria, etc.

As far as the land use...I realize peaceful, serene, green spaces are not everybody's thing, but what's your preferred alternative? A Wal-Mart? Golf Course? Honestly, I love the peace and serenity, the history, and the perspective of cemetaries. I'm a nature lover too - cemetaries are a whole different experience than a walk through the forest, etc. They're also more readily available where I live.

All that said, again, yes, let me rot away into the ground!

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

What exactly would a "green burial" entail?

I linked to a site, but basically, it's being buried without embalming, without a casket, or in a biodegradable one.

Seems as though cremation and scattered would be green enough.

I don't know how green a crematory fire is...

But I've been looking into this and found that the laws in my state would allow for a green burial, if the cemetery OKs it. No law requires a casket for burial, but the cemetery can require a certain type of container. Hopefully, a cardboard or homemade pine box would suffice.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I've got no-one to 'tend' to me after I go, so last month I arranged my funeral. I asked the nice lady (over the phone) at the Funeral Parlour for a Direct Cremation which I thought would be simple and cheap.

How naive am I? It's cost me an arm and a leg even when I specified no embalming, no viewing, no service and no music. I asked if I could just have a Body Bag rather than a coffin but apparently the Crematorium insist on a coffin. I do wonder if they burn the coffin or if they save it for the next dead person, which would make make more sense.

I've just had to accept that, in my position, I have to pay the full whack for the Undertakers to take all the responsibility for my disposal.

I did ask about what I should wear and apparently they'll come to your house to pick up you Sunday Best and store it for you until the time comes. That was a step too far for me, I just couldn't have the Undertakers coming to the house for my outfit so, since it was all thrown in, I said I'd have a shroud. I asked for a black one but apparently they don't come in black. "We've a nice selection of colours though" said the nice lady "We've got white, cream, pink or blue satin"

"Cripes" I said "you'd have to be dead to wear one of those". And, no, she didn't laugh.

So, it's all fixed. I'm going to be cremated in a tacky cream shroud with nobody to send me off because I don't know anyone who'd want to bother coming all the way out here to sit in a crematorium for half an hour. And I forgot to ask where they're going to scatter my ashes...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

No you don't. Just let who ever finds you deal with it. The state can foot the bill.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Perhaps I should have said that if i wanted any degree of control over what happened then I had to pay the Undertakers.

I wouldn't want to leave even my dead body to the tender mercies of the State, ta very much.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Well, depends on how you see it, if one considers a useless corpse to be someone they loved and cared about, and interacted with, it can be only seen as sign of respect to put them in a box and perhaps go through with funeral formalities.

On the contrary I do agree about the funeral expenses, it gets a bit to much sometimes when you looking at shiny coffins and headstone.

But hey think about the trauma people go through when their loved one's go missing, it's very heart breaking to think about and certainly, they long for their loved ones bodies to be retrieved so to pay it due respect and proper burial.

A lot of other cultures however, celebrate when others die because they believe their soul moves on to a better life, and so are inclined to cremate the useless corpses.

Peace

edit on 20-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yup I don't disagree at all and a great movie aswell. I like the idea of being fired off in shot gun shells also.

a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

edit on 20-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
In Tibet, they the just chop the guy up and feed him to the birds..

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Cremation is the best to me, providing you wait for a period of time, akin to nearly a week or so, I think is good.

The coffin as soul trap geometry akin to egyptian rites, I've read of. And its too creepy to be put in a coffin anyway, more a field of flowers in a mountain meadow, thank you very much and a memorial in a loved ones home.

However, fear based things don't appeal to me because I know that you're free when you cross over, your body is nothing and geometry is just a part of the set.

They're magic and knowledge is really nothing, of no importance to a soul leaving here.

The biggest thing in the duality testube is tiny compared to who you are.
edit on 20-10-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Ok, When I first read your thread title, I thought it was about "coffees" but quickly realised my error. I just got a Keurig and, well, no comment.

Coffins are more for the living than the deceased. It gives those of us left behind a sense of "home" for our loved one. That and it's a money maker for some people.
No, I'm not bashing morticians, in fact, my dearest friend in the world is a mortician. (Jay, you know who you are, bro!)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I haven't read any others comments so perhaps this has been brought up already. Its atrocious and dispicable. Just today, an elderly man told me his wife was cremated (she passed several years ago). Somehow, it was discovered 3 months after his loss that there was a "pile" of bodies out-back of the funeral home and it turned out she was one of them! Yes, they are "gone" but how could they? I totally get what your saying but being fraudulent in their line of business takes it to another level for me as to looking into other options.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Coffins prevent animals like wolves and bears from digging up dead people and leaving them scattered across the countryside. I agree with the main point though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join