It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Coffins: What is the Point?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:20 PM
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I agree. I think the idea of a funeral and storing a dead body is rather dumb. I've told my family on multiple occasions that if they wanted to wrap me in a bunch of newspapers and toss me into a ditch after I died, I wouldn't give a #. Instead spend that money on having a killer party to send my death off in style. I don't want people hung up on my death. I want them celebrating the good times and still living their own lives happily.

This is despite me getting a guaranteed grave spot for being a veteran. Let me decompose naturally. My body will do FAR more to assist nature and life decomposing naturally than it will being preserved in an overpriced wooden box.
edit on 20-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:28 PM
I didn't see that anyone had posted a link to why we bury our loved ones.

I personally don't agree with burial.

My family has always done a traditional burial, with the coffin, and church celebration of life.

For me, I want to be cremated. And then I want my loved ones to carry my ashes to a place that I feel happy and peaceful.

Then release them in the winds of that place. That way, I will become part of that place.
edit on 20-10-2015 by crappiekat because: sp

edit on 20-10-2015 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:35 PM
Before I got my job at the local water plant I was a grounds keeper at the local cemetery and the gravedigger. Put a few folks under the earth in my 3 year stint if I had to guess about 50 people or so.

Just like wedding dresses are expensive for nothing so are caskets and funerals. It's all in the ceremony really. Lots of it carries symbols and beliefs older then our current system. Plus caskets have handles so you don't have to hoist your dead loved one Palestine style and carry them threw the streets in a sheet.

They are often very plush giving the impression the person in them is resting or at peace at the very least comfy.

Also odds are if threw disaster or neglect the cemetery is lost the large often metal plated body containers serve as a heads up to those who might be disturbing the land unknowingly. They are also lined to keep the contents inside as the fluid that they fill you up with is very toxic.

Oh and in lots of places it's the law you need a casket for a full funeral. Here you even need a rough box for your casket so a box for your box. Same for urns you need a box for a urn by law.

All this also help keep track of the resting places of the dead aswell as providing significant income for the living. Death is big business.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

They can have a cemetery to bury urns if they want or they can have a group ash mound or a lake just for ashes. Of course, money is the obvious reason why the mortuaries exist, but there is, also, a religious aspect that has been shoved down peoples gullets.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:37 PM
Even if you have a full funeral you still return to the earth it just takes a lot longer. Ashes to ashes dust to star dust.

a reply to: crappiekat

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:38 PM
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yeah the religious aspect itself is a crock. If you want to believe your dearly departed is just sitting in the ground waiting for you to come by once a year to converse about old times give me a break.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
Cemeteries necessary for a movie like 'Night of the Living Dead'.
It would have really sucked without graveyards full of decrepit corpses worming their way up out of the earth.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
a reply to: Tiamat384

Funerals and memorial services, fine, but taking up land and bilking people out of money over a burial of coffins and headstones is ridiculous, culture or not.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:42 PM
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

No religion doesn't specify that, but religion sure plays into the guilty conscience one has when deciding what coffin to purchase and where to bury it. Many churches augment their own coffers by having their own mortuaries and they have no problem selling you a beautiful plot of land with that angel statue.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:46 PM
a reply to: SaturnFX

You mean like a park for people to go to and look at dead people? Yeah, I would rather go to an actual park and do the same thing, doesn't have to be a cemetery to be cathartic, does it? Nothing extravagant is necessary to pay tribute to a soul that has moved on.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:50 PM
Goin to a funeral to support the deceased family who are often still very much alive and grief stricken as you stated.

We don't always get the chances or the time to express how we felt or feel and some times it's to late to express. So they join together to grieve and discuss.

There are those who I've had very little to no contact with but our brief interactions were enough for me to stop and visit their graves just to pay a little respect after their passing.

I don't believe the personnel spirit is there watching or that my feelings toward them were conveyed in anyway. I just felt like this person should be acknowledged by me for their impact on me even if it was tiny or bad even. I suppose I do that just for myself.

Didn't feel like I came crawling at the end of their life but who am I to judge me. That's the worlds job.

a reply to: AccessDenied

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:51 PM
a reply to: chiefsmom

What else could he say, the alternative would be a flat out lie. Only reason to be in that business is to make money. As to the legalities of disposing ashes, I am sure it is mostly illegal in the majority of the states, but unless you are just outright stupid and do it in front of a cop with know heart, I suspect the amount of people incarcerated for such an infraction is nil, even those that have paid a fine.

We threw my Grandpa off the roof overlooking Wrigley Field right in front of 3 cops and all they did was salute him.

Me, I will be cremated and dropped in the bay where my spouse agreed to marry me.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:53 PM
a reply to: grainofsand

I shall frame this post for posterity. What a relief.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:54 PM
a reply to: searcherfortruth

Unlike your name searcher, many refuse to see the truth staring them right in the face.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:54 PM
I want one of these

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:56 PM
I forgot to mention but the caskets and practice of full body funeral with embalming seeks to preserve the mortal flesh for rapture. As though God couldn't sort out the details himself lol.

I forgot to mention my own stance on this as well. I personally won't be buried full body but cremated so as my building blocks will get to be reused that much quicker. All the little parts that were once me shall become many and spread across the world giving my body or at least it's components everlasting usefulness and purpose.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:57 PM
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Good for you. What exactly would a "green burial" entail? Seems as though cremation and scattered would be green enough. Fertilizer for the lawn, add to a compost pile?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:59 PM
a reply to: CallYourBluff

So there is no other way to pay respect other than funerals with expensive coffins? I suggest you come up with a better idea.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:01 PM
a reply to: greydaze

Okay, I'll give you that. Here is what should be done with any body that deceased under suspicious circumstances...they should be interred in a state owned medical facility that stores them in a cooler for a period of 10 years. After that, bye bye.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:02 PM
My mom and dad just passed over the last 15 months.
Mom wanted to be cremated so we did. Like someone else said you have to have a burial 'vault' even for ashes.
We got a nice granite urn with intention of burying her ashes, however we have not got around to burying her yet.
She has a nice memorial spot in our living room with pictures of mom in happy times. The whole family has found this to be very comforting and have chosen to keep mom at home. We may sell her 'plot' as my son has said he will take 'mom' when we pass.
My dad couldn't have been easier.
He donated his body to science and the whole process was free. They picked him up from where he passed and we will receive his 'remains' (ashes) when they are done.
He will go on the shelf next to mom for now.

I have just signed up to donate my body too. I have had some interesting, rare procedures done. My only regret is that I wont be around to hear the med students say WTF?!?. LoL

Funerals are all about the $$$.

ETA: We had awesome memorials at our church for free.

Donate your body so something good can come out of your rotting corpse.
edit on 10 20 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>