It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham Police Are The Best On The Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
www.thenorthernecho.co.uk...

....Durham Police rated the best in the country, prompting Chief Constable Mike Barton to claim it was the best on the planet....
I think this is a fair assessment.

When I was sixteen in Durham and a crooked copper set me up, they didn't beat me up, they just said, "If this was Chester-le-Street you'd have had you're head kicked in by now".

Durham Police. Best on the planet. I feel proud.

Makes me feel like going up there and kicking off, maybe rob a store just to get the nice treatment.
edit on 20 10 2015 by Kester because: spacing

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Durham Police in action.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I am on the whole proud of our police.

Sure we have a few bad apples but all my dealings with them have been superb.

Down in medway I cant fault them.
Hell I crashed my car into a unmarked police car once and as soon we got over the shock and I apologised they bent over backwards to help. They could easily have nicked me for dangerous driving instead.

They have been amazing with my cousin who had ADHD and suffers PTSD from being abused as a child by his uncle. He gets violent and even attacks his mum and police when in a psychotic state. And the police always with out complaining safely secure him (at risk to themselves ) and take him to a secure mental health facility and do there best to keep him out the criman justice system and in the mental health system (though not always successful as thats the NHS failings).

I also witnessed such professional restraint the other week at a hospital. Two little teenage #s were trying to act tough and goad the policeman into a fight. He stood his ground and refused to escalte the situation even when pushed. Only on the 3rd push and 3rd warning he cuffed the little twat and put him in the police van.
All i could think was if that was the USA they would of shot the kid dead after the first push!

Our police are not perfect. But they are still a million times better than almost anywere in the world.

edit on 20-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

You can only take them as you find them I suppose. Lancashire police have been very decent with me even when it was involving 'mischief' in the 90s...cough cough 'rave culture' ahem cough cough. Merseyside police have also been pretty decent although there's a well-established grape-vine of rumours of misbehaviour. By this, I mean some of the well-known bad lads have been known to 'resist arrest.'

All I can say is, in my experience, a smile and respect begets a smile and respect.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

A notorious pedophile didnt exactly resist arrest here....but the clumsy guy kept slipping on the cell floor and broke a arm.......

Needless he didn't get much pity

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It used to be the case that the back of police vans were slippery and drunken disorderly types kept falling over getting in the back of them. A notorious heroin dealer came a cropper through 'resisting arrest' too.

When people act like animals, it's hard to drag up a lot of sympathy.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Hear, hear.

mentalhealthcop.wordpress.com...

"If had to choose single best thing on Twitter, it'd be #MentalHealthCop - Michael Brown." --- Tim NEWBURN, Professor of Criminology, London School of Economics.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

So much is in the first split second of body language.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

A notorious pedophile didnt exactly resist arrest here....but the clumsy guy kept slipping on the cell floor and broke a arm.......

If you condone what I think you are saying here you are a thug. There is NEVER an excuse for police brutality. The judge decides civilized atonement for crimes, not henchmen in a cell battering individuals. No matter what the crime is there is no excuse for that behaviour. It ends up a right corrupt mess if you allow that, like police in the developing countries. THINK about what you are condoning.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It used to be the case that the back of police vans were slippery and drunken disorderly types kept falling over getting in the back of them. A notorious heroin dealer came a cropper through 'resisting arrest' too.

When people act like animals, it's hard to drag up a lot of sympathy.

Wow, what a thug like attitude. I would have expected better from a moderator. Do you really think that is any way to treat suspects. That individual has the same rights as you. What kind of law pervades when the police are allowed to be like that? THINK about that. You end up with indiscriminate targeting of black people and craziness like that. I'm disgusted by your comment to suggest police brutality is in any way excusable.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Why don't you join the police, mate? If you bother to look at this institution there are still many areas of corruption. Ask the black community about past brutality and the stop and search powers that were so abused and all the women who were not taken seriously when they reported rape.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: crazyewok

If you condone what I think you are saying here you are a thug. There is NEVER an excuse for police brutality. The judge decides civilized atonement for crimes, not henchmen in a cell battering individuals. No matter what the crime is there is no excuse for that behaviour. It ends up a right corrupt mess if you allow that, like police in the developing countries. THINK about what you are condoning.

*shrugs*

I never saw what happened

My cousin who was raped since the age of 5 never saw what happend.

The pedo lawyer did not see anything.

So it was between the word of a now convicted pedo or a policeman?

Think I will go with it slipped.....

Call it reasonable doubt on the policemans part.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Did I order a side-order of offended with chilli-sauce? Nope. Hold on....let me check again...

Still no.

I was actually thinking about the drunken guys who punch random people who pass on the street. In fairness, I don't care if they get a slap as long as they also get prosecuted. Instead of writing a passing, conversational comment, I should have gone onto greater detail and context to forgo being chastised over the internet.

Consider me suitably chastised; I'll go away and 'THINK about that.'

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Here you'll see my thread about racist stop and search. There are grey areas. www.abovetopsecret.com... Culminating in finding the Holy Grail. www.stopandsearch.org...
Please link to your thread on the subject that led to a positive way forward.

Also I believe we've already discussed James Patrick who risked everything to defend those traumatised by sexual assault and then failed by those they appealed to for help. Not only women despite your absurdly sexist assumption.

Me? Join the police?????????
They haven't got over this yet, they don't want another one.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

There's good and bad everywhere.

My experience of Durham police, and to be honest it is fairly extensive, is that they have their fair share of complete twats.

Don't get me wrong, some of the coppers I've come across have been sound, but........

Good job I'm a law abiding citizen these days and I tend to have a decent bit of craic with some of the older one's who've been around a while.
They tend be quite nostalgic about 'the old days' when they knew exactly what they were facing and when certain 'rules' were adhered to.......not like today.

To be honest I think they have a bit of a thankless job today and they have to try and do it with one hand tied behind their back a lot of the times.
Politicians and the PC Brigade certainly haven't helped them.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

There's always one, or two. www.bbc.co.uk...

Two Durham police officers who sold on guns which had been handed in to the force for safe disposal have been given suspended prison sentences.
Pc Maurice Allen, 47, and Pc Damien Cobain, 41, had admitted misconduct.
The pair were arrested in February 2009 when officers investigating a gun theft were told it had been bought from police.
Suspended sentences? If I was suspending them it wouldn't be by their sentences. Double standards.

Still, when my mate in Durham opened his front door to see what the commotion was and found his chest covered in red dots, it all ended with a bit of paperwork and some stern words about threatening behaviour. This isn't the U.S. They don't start by shooting the dog, then the kid, then the person who called the police, and eventually 500 rounds into the villain. "Chihuahua! Bring the .50 cal.!"

I tend to stick up for the underdog. British constables these days are pretty much the underdog.

edit on 20 10 2015 by Kester because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

From the BBC article you linked.

"Mrs May said she hoped the figures would act as a "wake-up call".
She quoted data suggesting four forces - Cheshire, Durham, Dyfed-Powys and North Yorkshire - did not have a single black officer."

"Det Con Waheed Mughal, chair of Durham Black and Asian Police Association, said: "I can confirm that the force does have a British Black Caribbean officer who serves in the north of the county as well as at least 19 other black and minority ethnic officers."

Someone's telling porkies here. Who would benefit from this obvious lie? If it is a lie. These people would be likely to know. www.nbpa.co.uk... Their address is care of City of London Police. Theresa May must have staff capable of simple communication.
edit on 24 10 2015 by Kester because: condense

new topics

top topics

join