It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals Win Resounding Victory in Canadian Elections

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

A move away from throwing money at the wealthiest Canadians and less taxes for the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: DBCowboy

A move away from throwing money at the wealthiest Canadians and less taxes for the rest of us.

Less taxes is always a good thing. Congrats for your country!

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Did you hear Doug Ford speaking about it.."he smoked pot" meanwhile your brother the mayor was doing crack in his office and hanging around crack dealers/gangsters

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
At least Stephen Harper wasn't taking us further into debt when it wasn't needed. Our kids will pay for this.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Thanks for that tidbit.

Seems like 'Ford Nation' has been significantly reduced in the GTA, wouldn't you say?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
As an American, I'm curious. What changes do you think you'll see with this new administration?

If the Liberals follow what was promised?

A return of prominent, non-partisan, scientific and statistical government agencies.
A return of government environmental oversight, coupled with more open and transparent discussions about Canada's energy future.
A re-evaluation of Canada's tax policies, most likely returning to equal-burden concepts as the primary driver.
A reigning in of specific, aggressive, foreign policies.

Granted, it is very hard to say what will actually happen versus what is said to happen.

Also, Masqua, you're gonna have to give at least 12 months. A lot of the promises made require rebuilding agencies/offices that were gutted by the Cons. That will take time to rebuild before campaign promises can even start to be enacted.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: palg1

150B in debt is what Harper has left us with. I know that sounds like a trifle compared to the US debt in the trillions, but that Conservative election boast about 'balancing the budget' came after raiding the EI coffers and selling GM shares (among other 'trifles').

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Oh yes it has..lol, surprisingly Ford was still quite popular in the midst of his issues. I'm sure Harper wanted to crawl out of those pics

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Canada just elected a pothead named Justin.

I thought the U.S. had the worst candidates.

I was wrong.

Shakespeare was a "pothead". So is Morgan Freeman. So are a whole bunch of incredibly intelligent people whom you would stand no chance against in a battle of intelligence or wit.

Your antiquated and incorrect views of people who use that substance seem to be on par with your antiquated and incorrect views on how much "poor people" should get paid.

Thankfully, views like yours are fading out fast, soon to become extinct.

Don't bother coming back to me with some sort of antiquated "pothead" insult either. The Dark Ages are calling and they want you back.

edit on 20/10/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: DBCowboy
As an American, I'm curious. What changes do you think you'll see with this new administration?

Also, Masqua, you're gonna have to give at least 12 months. A lot of the promises made require rebuilding agencies/offices that were gutted by the Cons. That will take time to rebuild before campaign promises can even start to be enacted.

Yes. I agree it's going to be a long haul. I can't wait until the Commons resumes sitting. Whoever replaces Harper after he's quit (significant) is going to have to tread a little more cautiously, use less 'talking points' and actually start answering questions.

That is, IF Trudeau follows through with his promise to stop the divisiveness in that House.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

In my heart I don't dissagree, I though a minority might happen but I also think they would not of played together and then another election like last time..that gave Harper too much power..I would of been ok with a coalition though.
Cheers

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Canada just elected a pothead named Justin.

I thought the U.S. had the worst candidates.

I was wrong.

Why is being a "pothead" bad exactly? I'd rather a politician be a pothead than a drunk or womanizer or warhawk.

PS: Just about every politician running for Presidency in the US has admitted to smoking pot.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
A majority liberal win is just the lesser of 2 evils, now heres hoping trudeau can now make is promises come true.

Promises to spend well beyond our means, driving up our debt, post consecutive deficit budgets and pander to terrorists? Yep! He'll keep those promises.

He is going to spend so much money we don't have we're going to look like Greece in 20 years.

edit on 20-10-2015 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Economists disagree.

It is a good idea to spend during tough times, especially in rebuilding failing infrastructure. Think about those 8 billion litres of sewage Montreal wants to release into the St Lawrence river. Do you think some treatment plants need an upgrade there?

Rebuilding projects create jobs, employing a lot of young people who desperately need them. It also creates tax revenue.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Economists disagree.

It is a good idea to spend during tough times, especially in rebuilding failing infrastructure. Think about those 8 billion litres of sewage Montreal wants to release into the St Lawrence river. Do you think some treatment plants need an upgrade there?

Rebuilding projects create jobs, employing a lot of young people who desperately need them. It also creates tax revenue.

I'm sorry, but the world is full of examples where those policies fail.

A business friendly, low tax environment is what many other economists agree is a better solution.

Not all economists agree throwing good money after bad is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I get what you say but we are not Greece..not even remotely, we have enough resources.. now that Stevo can't completely sell us off to China
edit on 20-10-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The interest rate to borrow for infrastructure spending is also at its lowest point in a long time. Best time to get these problems fixed.
Like how borrowing on equity to fix up a home is considered "good" debt. Especially if the rates are low.
Canada needs these jobs.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I agree.

But since economists were mentioned, perhaps it's a good idea to see what they had to say before the election was called.

Some interesting reading here (yes, it's long and boring).

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Isn't it common knowledge yet? The media has been preening and gleaming the premier of Saskatchewan for (ever) but heavy the last year or so. He's such a nice guy. He's been so good for the economy, they say. An average citizen will ask who's economy with wage drops, de-regulation and disappearing tax dollars.

But then it looks like the avg citizen was convinced the cons are good for sask... not many can believe those poll results with the cons scoring every seat except 2, in Sask. I've heard talk since of questioning results. Looks better if Harp's replacement comes from a con-rich province, no?

When the province thought oil was the saviour those few years ago, guess-who was visiting a Bush in that big, white, house as oft as he could get invited.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ItsEvolutionBaby

Brad Wall is Harper Lite.

Strong on rhetoric and denial of science, but weak on foresight.

My guess is Jason Kenney, Tony Clemente or Lisa Raitt.
edit on 20/10/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join