It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can Grow New Brain Cells

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Scientists are now saying that it's possible for adults to grow new Neurons in a process that's called Neurogenisis. Apparently, stress, lack of sleep, and aging all reduce the natural rate of neurogenesis, however, learning, sex, and aerobic activity all increase neurogenesis. Also of note: the researchers say that dark chocolate also encourages Neuron growth..

Can adults grow new neurons? Until relatively recently, experts believed the answer was no.

But as neuroscientist Sandrine Thuret explains in a new TED Talk, humans can indeed generate new brain cells, a process called neurogenesis. More importantly, doing so has a range of important benefits, including improving mood, increasing memory formation and preventing the decline associated with aging.

Sex and Dark chocolate increase Neurons! This is great news! What say you, ATS?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

There is a video but it doesn't work.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

That's going to come in handy seeing we just won a majority liberal government in Canada tonight. Which means here comes the pot. One of Justin Trudeau's campaign promises

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This has been known for a few decades. First, they thought it was only in the area of new memory formation. Slowly study after study showed this to be false, and the mechanisms which bring about neuronal growth are being discovered. I tailor my lifestyle, diet, and supplements in an attempt to maximize optimal brain function. Pruning is part of the cycle as well, and we don't quit that, either. More of this, less of that, cycle seasonal or however you feel is best... still a big experiment this all is.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Now I have an even better reason to eat a ton of oh so delicious dark chocolate.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm thinking that the neuroscientists who studied this like sex and dark chocolate. They also like watching the opposite sex do aerobic exercises in their skimpy outfits.

Now, the copper in dark chocolate may help build new neurons but it also causes a reduction in new memories forming from short term memories. Copper enzymes produced from copper in cocoa coupled with other chemistry in chocolate break down the prion like compounds that form new long term memories if consumed before going to sleep, effectively erasing the short term memories. If you do something wrong guys, make sure to give your wife chocolates.

Some of the chemicals in fish can stimulate brain cell regeneration.

Now, I do know that stress is bad and causes a lessening of healing and cellular regeneration, but you could just watch a funny movie to reduce stress. Walking reduces stress too.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'm thinking that the neuroscientists who studied this like sex and dark chocolate. They also like watching the opposite sex do aerobic exercises in their skimpy outfits.

Now, the copper in dark chocolate may help build new neurons but it also causes a reduction in new memories forming from short term memories. Copper enzymes produced from copper in cocoa coupled with other chemistry in chocolate break down the prion like compounds that form new long term memories if consumed before going to sleep, effectively erasing the short term memories. If you do something wrong guys, make sure to give your wife chocolates.

Some of the chemicals in fish can stimulate brain cell regeneration.

Now, I do know that stress is bad and causes a lessening of healing and cellular regeneration, but you could just watch a funny movie to reduce stress. Walking reduces stress too.

Thanks for that even though it just ruined my excitement for sex and dark chocolate.....oh well...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

If you want to further research look into BDNF & NGF. Everything mentioned so far increases expression of one or both of those.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Very good! Endurance exercises've been shown to cause neurogenesis of the hippocampus, which is responsible for memory and learning.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Yep. You grow them every day--just as long as you use your brain. That whole neuroplasticity shtick.

Gingko biloba is also very good for neurogenesis--and can regrow damaged receptors (in animal studies, at least). Oh, walnuts are also good for your brain.

And, when in doubt--smile!

edit on 20-10-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory
Now I have an even better reason to eat a ton of oh so delicious dark chocolate.

You're supposed to eat the sort without sugar or cocoa butter in, though. It's a bit...tart.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
O_O

They have basically listed most of my favourite activities here. Brb, need to go erm... do some activities....

Yano... Gotta regrow some brain cells

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Sex and Dark chocolate increase Neurons! This is great news! What say you, ATS?

Lol, now if they can come up with a diet for losing weight like this which includes pizza, maybe they could tackle the obesity epidemic.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What do you do to the ginkgo biloba to make it edible? Crush Leaves? I go to a plant school so people are obsessed with this tree because of how old it is evolutionarily. It's growing everywhere around here! a reply to: rukia

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Guilt free cocoa : hot milk (or substitute), cocoa powder, and stevia

a reply to: Bedlam

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

"Copper enzymes produced from copper in cocoa coupled with other chemistry in chocolate break down the prion like compounds that form new long term memories if consumed before going to sleep, effectively erasing the short term memories."

So I can blame my guilt free cocoa for short term memory loss?
lol.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

The thoughts of how one would go about making various combinations of chocolate and sex and fish.

That should have some positive effects on brain development in and of itself.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

The darker the better

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory

40 pounds of chocolate eaten in one go will kill you, so a ton will kill your family as well...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

"Copper enzymes produced from copper in cocoa coupled with other chemistry in chocolate break down the prion like compounds that form new long term memories if consumed before going to sleep, effectively erasing the short term memories."

So I can blame my guilt free cocoa for short term memory loss?
lol.

Nope, short term memories turning into long term memories as we sleep are reduced. Short term memories use a different system. So you might forget what you did yesterday if you had chocolate last night. Sometimes that is very handy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join