It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I love it when christians say one story is allegory but another is real....all in the same book....those tricky bible writers...always keeping people guessing.

You know it isn't one "book", right? That it's an anthology of historical prose and poetry (among other styles) written at various times by various authors over the span of hundreds and hundreds of years?

Yeah...It has a bunch of authors. It is a bunch of stories.

So, like I said, which ones are real and which ones aren't? It is silly to think that someone should believe in one story, but not another in the same book, and yes they are all in the same book as in when you buy a bible you don't buy 60-80 books (number depending on denomination).

And wouldn't using metaphor for some and not others be dishonest and an abomination in God's eyes, along the lines of being a false witness say?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: Vasa Croe

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

So...creationism is a metaphor/parable? Or was that written before the quotes above and is therefore considered to be literally accepted? Or is it just the timeline for creation that is the parable/metaphor yet creation really happened?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

Just because you don't believe doesn't mean you have to call names.

Please don't be disrespectful.

(post by windword removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It is obvious you don't know how to interpret what those scriptures say. You are reading it all literally without processing the actual meaning. A tower to heaven means a device that can transport. Something that could maybe teleport a person right into the midst of heaven? Uninvited? No appointment? But if you read the verses as a child would read them, then yes, it is going to be confusing.
I know it's difficult, but you gotta grow a few IQ points first, and then read it all again.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

A 3500 year old prophecy that correctly predicted there would be people scattered across the entire planet who all spoke different languages.

I find the prophecy to be quite interesting. Since historical evidence suggests that no one from the East knew the Americas existed until at least the Vikings sometime AD.

Remember the earth used to be flat and if you sailed to far west you would fall off the earth.

edit on 19-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

So, like I said, which ones are real and which ones aren't? It is silly to think that someone should believe in one story, but not another in the same book, and yes they are all in the same book as in when you buy a bible you don't buy 60-80 books (number depending on denomination).

To the believer, the lesson is far more important than the historicity, which is something some "fundies" erroneously base their faith on.

Anyway. When you buy The Collected Works of William Shakespeare, are you really buying "one book" (or two)?

Or is it more accurate to say you are buying a literary compilation of poetry and prose? "Yeah, I've read Bill Shakespeare. His new Collected Works is some great s#."

You see what I mean? Each piece is different. When you look at them in context, the stylistic inconsistencies across "books" are actually irrelevant.

And wouldn't using metaphor for some and not others be dishonest and an abomination in God's eyes, along the lines of being a false witness say?

I dunno, you'd have to ask Him. I'm not sure where literary inconsistency ranks on the abomination scale.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The Shinar Directive:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

A 3500 year old prophecy that correctly predicted there would be people scattered across the entire planet who all spoke different languages.

I find the prophecy to be quite interesting. Since historical evidence suggests that no one from the East knew the Americas existed until at least the Vikings sometime AD.

Remember the earth used to be flat and if you sailed to far west you would fall off the earth.

Interesting....well here is one for you that nobody seems to ever be able to answer:

How was Moses able to read pre-Tower of Babel texts?

And no....there is ample evidence many thought the world was round for a long time...hell, some even suggest the bible makes reference to it.
edit on 10/19/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

It does actually... It actually says both flat and round... One just has to understand the reference to a "flat earth"

but here's the round version...

Isaiah 40:22: He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

To the believer, the lesson is far more important than the historicity, which is something some "fundies" erroneously base their faith on.

Anyway. When you buy The Collected Works of William Shakespeare, are you really buying "one book" (or two)?

Or is it more accurate to say you are buying a literary compilation of poetry and prose? "Yeah, I've read Bill Shakespeare. His new Collected Works is some great s#."

You see what I mean? Each piece is different. When you look at them in context, the stylistic inconsistencies across "books" are actually irrelevant.

I dunno, you'd have to ask Him. I'm not sure where literary inconsistency ranks on the abomination scale.

Just one by , questionably, a single author/writer. If it is called the collected works I expect it to be a bunch of stories in a single book.

Stylistic inconsistencies don't account for which ones are literal and which ones are not. They account for just that, stylistic inconsistencies.....

So I should consider creation or the ark or adam and eve as stylistically written and just understand that the real meaning is inconsistent with limited fact to be based in? More of a folklore or a tale to pass down a moral code and learn from?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

A flat round circle?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Admittedly It doesn't say a sphere...

that's close enough though... it actually doesn't specifically say "the earth is flat" either...

It says "its like a seal" which is flat

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Talking in gibberish brings you to a truer understanding of God?
Only through weeding through 1000 pages of uncipherable texts and stories that are so far fetched even to the common ignoramus?

Hey, lets talk about Revelation. Everyone gets that one

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Haven't you people ever heard of metaphor?

How about allegory?

Parable? Surely you've heard that one.

Or are you just giving a straw man the business? You construct an argument against a false representation of what you want others to think all Bible-believers are--literalists.

Perfect.

The bible was written by very intelligent MEN, which is a metaphor to the human mind, body, soul. The real holy trinity. . (Father, son, holy ghost? Your calling the women a ghost? Hm.. metaphorically different from forcing women to hide their faces, niqab?)

Powerful and intelligent people have always ran the churches from their origins. Mental engineering 101, humans finest invention to control fellow brother or sister. .
To act, and follow through, role play the masses, and keep the wealth and knowledge to oneself.. such is the ways of priests, popes, kings and queens, prime minister and presidents..(check out that evolution theory).

The church. And it's wealth. And it's investments. It's knowledge - riddled in stories of copied texts ad infinitum - hidden in plain sight. If the people aren't aware of symbols, and the truth being riddled, you can put anything in front of them and they will be oblivious to its meaning!

So they grasp onto the bridge to their faith the words of god written by man or prophets (those who profit), become mentally (and metaphorically) slave to the doctrination or belief of characters being played in their book and their church.

This is not a put down or bash. I'm just pointing out my own understandings, and what I'm seeing unfold.

"I'M AM A JELEOUS GOD"

Is all I have to read before closing a clever-but-terrible story.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

All of the scriptures can be considered folklore handed down to teach moral code.

People make to big of a deal of whether the stories really happened or not. I believe the stories are real, simply because I believe in miracles and it's much cooler to believe the events are real IMO.

But real events or mythology has very little to do with what you are supposed to learn from them. Arguing over the validity of the stories destroys the moral lessons within the stories IMO.
edit on 19-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Perhaps you could elaborate on the moral of the flood?

Don't piss off God perhaps?

edit on 19-10-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Isurrender73

Perhaps you could elaborate on the moral of the flood?

Kind of like $hit....extinction happens.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

More evidence that literalists remain ever clueless!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Just one by , questionably, a single author/writer. If it is called the collected works I expect it to be a bunch of stories in a single book.

You have a problem with the Bible because the title is singular and not plural?

Maybe they should start calling it "The Good Books".

Stylistic inconsistencies don't account for which ones are literal and which ones are not. They account for just that, stylistic inconsistencies.....

What I mean by style is how certain literary devices are used to convey meaning. Metaphors are used in an allegorical style. Statements of fact are used in an empirical style, and so on. Both styles are present in the Bible because of the diversity of authorship and length of time involved. It should, in fact, be expected.

Perhaps "diversity" is a better word than "inconsistency". Don't you agree?

So I should consider creation or the ark or adam and eve as stylistically written and just understand that the real meaning is inconsistent with limited fact to be based in? More of a folklore or a tale to pass down a moral code and learn from?

Whatever floats your ark.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join