It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search For Intelligent Aliens Near Bizarre Dimming Star Has Begun

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I don't think Dyson Sphere's would be suitable for power generation of the future, but the shielding of the starlight at random times, in our direction, could be an attempt to gain our attention.

Maybe, maybe? Don't forget this is some 1500 light years away and 'they' would be facing us in 500AD. With your idea, we couldn't rule out 'them' being aware of technological advances and 'speculating' that 1500 years in the future might find a technological world capable of detecting their signals. It'd be unlikely imo, but what do I know?

The next few years should be very interesting. It's ironic that astronomy is in a Golden Age whilst, down here on the ground, it's getting like the Dark Ages in other quarters. Eh...life huh?

Gotcha. It's all relative.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

'zactly.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a question has been asked, if there is an alien race who built a mega-structure around this star, why would they need all this energy.

we know it takes energy to do a lot of things. look at what we consume without solar energy and that has been increasing every year.

where will we be in 100 years? using considerably more energy than today. where will we be in 1,000 years?

now i'm not saying that this dip in light is a mega-structure, but all known explanations have not held up, so what is causing it?

eliminate all possibilities, however improbable, and what's left has to be the truth. we just don't know what that is yet

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: darkbake

Do they really believe that an alien civilization that might have built solar panels around a star would continue to use radio waves? I guarantee you no matter what frequency their looking for their not going to find anything.
Cool discovery nonetheless

Why not? We're 12,000 years removed from the invention of the wheel and we have devices that can hover and fly, yet the wheel is still one of our most important tools.

Who is to say we understand all of the possible applications of radio waves? For that matter, who is to say we understand all of the possible applications of the wheel?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Could the large panels be used not to harvest the sun but harvest the atoms for construction?
The fact that they remain together in orbit is not the way regular planets would clump. That would imply the ability to maneuver these objects. The amount of energy needed for this would be truly enormous. That little fact would remove the need for a solar power collection. Perhaps they are harvesting the power of the sun with a completely different method than we can imagine.
It's more likely to be a unexplained natural phenomena. But it's fun to dream a little as long as they don't try to visit....

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: saudi
a reply to: krines
..."A highly advanced civilisation" that can come here and give us all the solutions to our problems..sounds like Jesus Christ coming to help us all.
If you can step back and observe you would find that it's the same scenario but with other characters.

Shhhhhh... maybe.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
A bird whispered in my earm , they had a eureka moment, they think the star lets go of energy by a exocomet or exoplanet.. When it blocks light out, its gravity pulls it inwards, so it goes within a state of Supernova but doesnt build iron in its core, its fluctuating .. It defies the laws of physics, since it doesnt explode..

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Just to have some fun

exocomet means = xxxmovie
exoplanet means = female

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox
Keep in mind, that China is currently building a HUGE telescope that will dwarf Arecibo. Do you know that? Let's work with the Chinese to figure out what we have found.

Kratos

edit on KWed, 21 Oct 2015 23:38:02 -0500pm3120150240 by Kratos40 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Out of all the ufo sightings and claims of alien visits, not anyone of those experiences led them to this alleged alien structure?

edit on 22-10-2015 by iUmEiT because: poop

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well I hope that any life on the nearby planets in the solar system don't need much of that's stars light to survive. Cause if something alien race did built a giant energy gathering star dome it's dimming the lights on them.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

Dyson Spheres are just plain silly.

Agreed. Apparently a Dyson Swarm is what you want. Interesting article

Would probably look more like a cloud of asteroids too.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Considering all the available and relevant sources of information, the application of Occam's Razor leads us to one inevitable conclusion: we are observing the use of the Hand of Omega.

I think that having mysteries to solve is probably more important to humans than actually solving those mysteries. It's what keeps us moving forward. As some as one amazing thing is identified and understood, we need to have another one lined up ready to explore. This particular mystery is very much welcome!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Could be SkyNet taking over.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Seems like SETI already found a strange periodic signal from KIC 8462852:
SETI Institute Undertakes Search for Alien Signal from Kepler Star KIC 8462852
edit on 10.23.2015 by Kandinsky because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I'm thinking this is not Aliens either. I don't really buy that Dyson Spheres are a thing. First of all, nobody needs that much power. In 100 years our Solar panel technology will be so advanced that we'll be able to power the whole world with just that. Without Dyson Spheres.

So with that in mind, why would an Alien Civilization even need a Dyson Sphere? What would be the point of using all of those resources that they would need, possibly for power that they wouldn't even need?

Maybe space exploration/expansion ? A type 2 civilization will not be bothered with their mother planet. They must already have that part covered long time ago, and they already have to have a pretty damn good energy source, because it takes a lot of energy to build any kind of structures that size.

So comparing our puny energy needs to power our little rock, is nothing in comparison to the energy requirements of a ultra advance civilization that is playing with controlling whole solar systems, or more.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DropMasta
Seems like SETI already found a strange periodic signal from KIC 8462852:
SETI Institute Undertakes Search for Alien Signal from Kepler Star KIC 8462852

The SETI scientist in that article is talking about the light flux already detected in the Kepler data in general terms, not a new observation by SETI.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the structure is supposed to look like? Are there any pictures we can look at? Is there even any concept art?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thill

originally posted by: amazing
I'm thinking this is not Aliens either. I don't really buy that Dyson Spheres are a thing. First of all, nobody needs that much power. In 100 years our Solar panel technology will be so advanced that we'll be able to power the whole world with just that. Without Dyson Spheres.

So with that in mind, why would an Alien Civilization even need a Dyson Sphere? What would be the point of using all of those resources that they would need, possibly for power that they wouldn't even need?

Maybe space exploration/expansion ? A type 2 civilization will not be bothered with their mother planet. They must already have that part covered long time ago, and they already have to have a pretty damn good energy source, because it takes a lot of energy to build any kind of structures that size.

So comparing our puny energy needs to power our little rock, is nothing in comparison to the energy requirements of a ultra advance civilization that is playing with controlling whole solar systems, or more.

You might be right, but you're basing this on one guy named Dyson and another guy that gave us a description for different types of civilization. Who's to say those two guys where right? Who's to say Drake was right or Fermi was right?

It's time to take what these great pioneers thought of, re think and move on.

Just my opinion and in no way am I trying to diminish what you're saying, or belittle you.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

No, there isn't. He have absolutely no idea what it might even look like kinda. So there is no artistic representations because there is nothing to go off of at this point.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join