It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Ideas needed for non-lethal home/personal protection...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: namelesss

Beautiful poem... so let me ask you... when someone is firing into your living room as you sit with your children while watching TV, what is the appropriate course of action?

Assuming that we have survived the attack, We'd probably get down on the floor, in a safe corner and wait for further developments to determine action.
Your scenario is so bereft of context that that is about the only reasonable answer.
Should I have run into the yard, gotten into my war surplus tank and start shooting at everything that moves?
Maybe if I were a frightened teenager...
But I'm not.

When you're asleep in the middle of the night, and someone breaks into your home, what is the appropriate course of action?

If I am asleep, then the appropriate course of action is to roll over and keep snoring.
IF they woke me, being the head of security for this organization, I would, all things being equal (again, no context for a 'specifically focused' response), most likely grab my 'cane' and find the problem.
The 'cane' is a cane, not a weapon unless I use/need it as such.
And I have never have had to.
Others depend on my 'first line of safety', and they have yet to be disappointed.

I have yet to ever harm someone with anything greater then some powerful nuggies (knuckles to the cranium), but he was a grown adult, insane, and all I did was to help him focus his attention on more pressing problems than messing with me.
He safely staggered away to contemplate the error of his ways! *__-

When you see a man accost and rape your daughter, what is the appropriate course of action?

Neutralize the threat, with the least amount of energy expenditure and damage.

I am not being facetious. I sincerely want to know. When one person is perpetuating violence upon another, what is the appropriate course of action?

Sometimes it is just to move on.
It is not incumbent on me to 'save' anyone!
But it does depend on my mood.
I can step in and stop the violence, as I have done, and I have walked away, knowing that;

"Sometimes we get what we want, but we ALWAYS get exactly what we NEED!"
Sometimes, it is Painful.

At some point, you apparently felt physical force was the appropriate action... what changed your mind? What did you find to be a better option?

If a 'fight' has to happen, you already lost!
It is much simpler to 'control' someone's thoughts and imagination then it is to 'control' his body.
The epitome of all martial arts is to master life that no one would think of attacking you and yours!
Weapons practice is part of boot-camp. *__-
I did grow to love weapons practice, gong fu weapons, staves, flexible weapons, bladed, flaming...but it is all for 'inner' reasons! Like dancing.
I couldn't imagine harming 'another' with them!

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

You are speaking in riddles. I'm sure it means something specific to you... but there is no rhyme or reason to me. You lecture me about love and fear, suggest no action, then speak of your own efforts to stop others. You say you are your family's first line of defense, but say you don't have to save anyone. I ask for non-lethal ideas for defense and protection, and you suggest I'm looking to kill.

There is a time for everything under the sun... a time to flee and a time to fight... a time to protect and a time to defend... and so on. No two situations are exactly alike. No two situations require exactly the same response. Love can include acting to protect the innocent. Fear can include reasonable precautions. Those who are prepared are more likely to act reasonably and rationally in direct proportion to the threat.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: namelesss Love can include acting to protect the innocent.

True.

Fear can include reasonable precautions. Those who are prepared are more likely to act reasonably and rationally in direct proportion to the threat.

I might disagree there.
Acting' on imagined threats/fear is rarely 'reasonable' and 'proportionate'!
'Fear' and imagined threats are emotional (feelings' rather than logic), egoic, and not rational.
If I were afraid of every shadow, and imagined terrible monsters within, and packed a gun for protection, eventually, I will shoot a monster!
Problem is it was just my kid getting a drink of milk in the night!
Yeah, I was 'prepared' for my imaginary scenario!

"Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true." - Demosthenes

I will add, that if you are looking for some non-lethal, and the correct term in 'less than lethal, because most 'non-lethal' weapons can kill, you'll need something readily at hand, wherever in the home you are!
Ase you so frightened that you'd be willing to carry around a fully charged taser at all times?
In the bath? Making dinner? Playing with the kiddies?
Brass knucks are vicious, they cut! Deep! And are against the law, for good reason.
Thugs are afraid that their victims might fight back.
What are you willing to carry at all times? Or plant all over the place for easy reach wherever, and hope the kids don't taser each other!
A 'BB' gun in a shoulder holster while watching TV?
Know Yourself!

edit on 28-10-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join