It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Ideas needed for non-lethal home/personal protection...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dezertdog
a reply to: Boadicea

A home security expert once shared with me that he removed all the window stickers and yard signs of the company that installed and monitored his home security system replacing them with a different companies signs and stickers.

The idea being to trip up any thieves who have cased your home.

LOL! I never would have thought of that... thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

Be sure to compare the grips of a regular bat and a junior size bat to see which one you can hold more comfortably. You can get both of them cheaply at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Thank you for this! Very good to know

Self defense classes can give you a few techniques to protect yourself.

I've been thinking about this. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a group rate thingee.

edit on 19-10-2015 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If you're committed to non-lethal solutions, maybe consider the following:

1. Reinforce windows and doors. This will slow the attacker's ability to gain entry and give you time to prepare or call 911.
  2. After the doors and windows, upgrade or reinforce door and window locks. This includes stronger door jambs. Again, this will buy you a bit of time and will make more noise when an attempted breach occurs.
  3. You can create a decoy. Place a siren or lights in a locked room at the other end of the house. This will draw the attackers the wrong way.
  4. Have an escape plan. Be able to escape a 2nd floor window or from the basement. If you choose not to fight, then be prepare for flight.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It wouldn't suit everyone's way of life, but when I lived in the City I put bolts on both sides of every door of my apartment.

If I was in a room, I could bolt myself in. If anyone came in through a window, the door would be bolted on the other side and they would have a problem getting into the rest of the apartment.

I suppose if someone came in through the window of a room I was occupying I would have just had to clobber them

I did read that some low elements of society leave chalk marks on the pavements outside houses to indicate whether they are worthy of attention or not. It might be an idea too find out the 'criminal code' for you area and then put the 'don't bother, occupants are crazy' sign outside your door...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Cheddarhead

Be sure to compare the grips of a regular bat and a junior size bat to see which one you can hold more comfortably. You can get both of them cheaply at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Thank you for this! Very good to know

Self defense classes can give you a few techniques to protect yourself.

I've been thinking about this. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a group rate thingee.

You mentioned bells on the doorknobs. I forgot about door alarms. When we changed insurances a few years ago, they gave us 9V battery operated door alarms that mounted on the inside door and the trim around it. You can set it to just a chime when the door opens or switch it over to full alarm, where you have just a few seconds to punch in your code before the earpiercing, screaming alarm goes off. There's no alarm company involvement, and I thought I had seen something similar for travelers to use on hotel room doors.

BTW, the junior size baseball bat in slightly shorter than the regular size one, but I can hold on the smaller size grip much more easily.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Thank you! These are ALL excellent ideas.

I think we all -- or most -- have deadbolts and steel security doors, but that didn't stop the perps. Reinforcement is a great idea.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I recall watching this documentary where a young child was left at home alone. He was able to neutralize two professional career criminals by strategically placing marbles at the head of the stairs and then knocking the intruders unconscious with a well placed blow from a rope-suspended paint can to the head.

Most effective.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
It wouldn't suit everyone's way of life, but when I lived in the City I put bolts on both sides of every door of my apartment.

No, it wouldn't work for everyone, but for some it might be a Godsend... or lifesaver. One of the officers told me these type thugs often enter through the garage, which isn't always as secure. That might be a good place for a deadbolt.

I have also read that double-keyed deadbolts with a key in the lock is almost impossible to pick. We've been doing this forever.

I did read that some low elements of society leave chalk marks on the pavements outside houses to indicate whether they are worthy of attention or not. It might be an idea too find out the 'criminal code' for you area...

Thank you. I'll keep an eye out... pass it on... and ask the local cops next time I have a chance.

...and then put the 'don't bother, occupants are crazy' sign outside your door...

That may be very effective! A friend of mine was walking to her car after work one night when a couple guys jumped out at her. She said she threw her arms up in the air and looked up and yelled, "Lord Michael before me! Lord Michael behind me! Lord Michael all around me! Lord Michael protect me!" And before she even finished they both ran off calling her a "crazy ass bitch." I'm sure the yelling was the biggest deterrent, but I'll bet it spooked them at least a little! I asked her how she ever thought of that, and she said she had read it somewhere, and in the moment that was the only thing that came to mind...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

BTW, the junior size baseball bat in slightly shorter than the regular size one, but I can hold on the smaller size grip much more easily.

Thanks for pointing that out -- it's important to feel comfortable (for want of a better word) with whatever weapon one chooses, and be confident you can use it effectively!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I recall watching this documentary where a young child was left at home alone. He was able to neutralize two professional career criminals by strategically placing marbles at the head of the stairs and then knocking the intruders unconscious with a well placed blow from a rope-suspended paint can to the head.

Most effective.

Ah yes... the booby trap defense!!!

I used to put the ottoman in front of the door every night... not quite as impressive... but I figured anyone breaking and entering wouldn't expect it nor see it in the dark and it would give me a heads up when they tripped over it. And that was when I still had a firearm in the house. Forewarned is forearmed!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I used to put the ottoman in front of the door every night... not quite as impressive... but I figured anyone breaking and entering wouldn't expect it nor see it in the dark...

I should loan you my black cat for awhile. That son of a bitch likes to sit on the stairs at night because, as far as his evil ass is concerned, every single human being is a home invader on his planet.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I used to put the ottoman in front of the door every night... not quite as impressive... but I figured anyone breaking and entering wouldn't expect it nor see it in the dark...

I should loan you my black cat for awhile. That son of a bitch likes to sit on the stairs at night because, as far as his evil ass is concerned, every single human being is a home invader on his planet.

Lucky you! I've had a couple black cats like that... the green-eyed long haired ones... both females too... yikes! They would attack anyone they didn't like -- especially if they dared try to pet them. Oh the horrors!!! And one of them would even half-attack me if she was all cuddled on my lap and I had the audacity to want to get up. She used to steal my toast right out of my hand too... My daughter was convinced that she was plotting to take over the world

I sure miss that beautiful crazy kitty.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

There's some really funny signs here. These are metal... I'll look for some cheap plastic ones that I can afford!

I thought you might enjoy some of these too

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just get a big "This home is protected by smith and Wesson sign"

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

There's some really funny signs here. These are metal... I'll look for some cheap plastic ones that I can afford!

I thought you might enjoy some of these too

Some of those are hilarious. It just crossed my mind. If a person put up a dog sign, and yet the intruder didn't see any dogs. They would always be wondering when the dog is going to come out of no where. Lol.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Most effective.

Not all kids are dumb and scared, are they? That's funny.
edit on 10/19/2015 by Klassified because: ?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Not all kids are dumb and scared, are they? That's funny.

It was indeed funny. But also quite sad, as it appears that this was the first of several times the inventive young lad found himself in such precarious circumstances. But we can breath a sigh of relief as his resourcefulness was able to thwart the home invaders with inventive, non-lethal solutions is these subsequent encounters as well.

edit on 19-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Some of those are hilarious.

I liked the ones that said, "I can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds... how about you?"

It just crossed my mind. If a person put up a dog sign, and yet the intruder didn't see any dogs. They would always be wondering when the dog is going to come out of no where. Lol.

LOL! THAT ^^ would make a funny sign too! "Dogs in hiding... when and where they show up, nobody knows... feeling lucky?"

edit on 19-10-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're too funny! But I can't bear to watch this... I'm a party pooper!

Our august friend here is playing with you... he's referring to the antics of Macauley Culkin (sp?) in the "Home Alone" movies... and the movies were pretty funny!

edit on 19-10-2015 by Boadicea because: clarification

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Stop being a female body part and get a shotgun. ...you're welcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join