It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Ideas needed for non-lethal home/personal protection...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
One of my neighbors was recently the victim of an attempted armed home invasion of sorts, which has left all of us more than a little on edge. There is an ongoing investigation, so we have been asked not to speak about the specifics of the case... I will only say that I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if it had not been for a good guy with a gun to stop the bad guys, that unspeakable slaughter would have ensued. A gun served its purpose very well, but is only part of the solution. I have been trying to think of ideas to help all of us find non-lethal means to not only protect ourselves, but also let the rest of the neighborhood know if anyone needs help.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. This is what I've come up with:

1. Yard lights: Solar powered motion-activated lights make it impossible for anyone to approach the house unnoticed.

2. Car key fob: Keep car key fob close at night to hit the panic alarm to get the attention of the neighbors if needed.

3. Home phone: Keep home phone close so when calling 911 on the home phone, the dispatcher will immediately know the address where help is needed, even if the caller has to drop the phone.

4. Wasp spray: Wasp spray will release a concentrated, focused stream up to 25 or 30 feet.

5. Whistles: I ordered a dozen storm whistles this morning that can be heard up to 1/2 a mile under optimal conditions for alerting neighbors.

6. Bells: A string of bells on each door that will alert everyone to an unwelcome visitor.

Obviously, all of these ideas have their strengths and weaknesses and will only be effective in certain circumstances; but all are valuable for their psychological effect as well as their practical effect. We can't live in fear, and I want to help empower my neighbors to think in terms of being able to protect and defend themselves, not just as victims. Then, when and if something happens, we are all more prepared to deal with it. Not just during, but after too -- which we found out is just as important!

I'm very blessed to live in a neighborhood where we all know each other and take care of each other. But that night, although we all heard the gunfire, it happened so quick that by the time anyone got outside, the bad guys were taking off, and we had no idea who needed help until we heard someone screaming. So when the whistles come, I'm going to share with all my neighbors, and all of us will know that if we hear those whistles, someone needs help and we know where. The whistles can also help during/after a storm as well (we can get some doozies!). Or lots of other emergencies.

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated... and I hope it empowers some ATSers too

One more thing: I have to say that our police were amazing. I have nothing but good things to say about them and how they handled this crazy hell.
edit on 19-10-2015 by Boadicea because: ETA "attempted" in first sentence.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

A dog might help (if you are a dog person). Even a little obnoxious yelping one. Sometimes bad guys follow the path of least resistance and a barking dog can draw attention.

A sign indicating the house is protected (even if it is not).

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Sounds like lots of fun in your neighbourhood. Wow, you are suggesting a right arsenal for yourself. Do you really have to live in that much fear and insecurity from your fellow? I hope sleepy where I live never gets like that. Something is well wrong in a society if it is getting like this. That is as sure a symptom of it as a giant tumour.

Honestly, if things got that bad for me I would just turn the other cheek if it comes to crescendo of being attacked. All this tooling up is just gonna wind up and hype the situation stretching to ever more extreme tactics.

Isn't it the police's job to protect and serve? Oh nooo, that changed somewhere along the line didn't it!

I'm really sorry to be so frank, but something has got to give. Someone needs to start de-escalation proceedings. Do you people really want to live like this?

link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

A dog might help (if you are a dog person). Even a little obnoxious yelping one. Sometimes bad guys follow the path of least resistance and a barking dog can draw attention.

A sign indicating the house is protected (even if it is not).

Both excellent suggestions!!!

My dogs... my "crew" as my hubby calls them... give me the greatest sense of security.

I think I've seen bogus home security yard signs/window stickers on Amazon or somewhere. I'll check that out. Thank you!

link   
DOGS help a lot. And "BEWARE OF DOG" signs (even if you don't have a dog) will likely reroute them. Also, signs that indicate your home is protected with a security system (whether it is or not)...

All of these (and the things you mentioned above), are effective deterrents. (My hubby is a former Military Police officer and agrees with all this). Professional pepper spray is good to have nearby (wasp spray is fine, too)....and having a baseball bat within reach at the entrance (your side of the door, etc.)

It is scary, I understand.
Also - you might consider looking into whether or not your neighborhood as a "Neighborhood Watch - WE CALL THE POLICE" sign within sight of your home. Or has a neighborhood watch organization. In my city they put the signs up without us having to 'pay dues' or go to meetings or anything......

Our community expounds "community policing" - (ALWAYS call the police). And they are very prompt to respond, at least here.

EDIT: lol!! I see others have already mentioned my tips.
Be safe!

edit on 10/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ours is a very nice, legally shortened, Mossberg shot gun.

We don't have little kids, so that's why it's kept within reach, and loaded.

I'm convinced that someone came into our house over the summer. I was home alone and heard someone down stairs walking/rummaging.

I picked up the Mossberg and quietly got to the bottom of the stairs then racked it...Said a few choice words, heard some more foot steps and then quiet.

I never saw anyone so I didn't call the police. But about a month later I realized the screen was up outside our kitchen window. Pretty sure that's where they came in then left out the slider in back.

Was I scared? Maybe a little. But, I had a nice gun and knew how to/would've used it.

I know that if I didn't have that weapon, I would've pooped a brick, I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
A dog for an alarm system.
A can of wasp spray.
A baseball bat is only as lethal as you make it.
A shot gun loaded with rock salt.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Make yourself a stun-gun using these cheap high voltage modules (free shipping):
www.banggood.com...

Together with a 18650 battery or two in series it will kick serious ass!
Trust me, I have tried.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
DOGS help a lot. And "BEWARE OF DOG" signs (even if you don't have a dog) will likely reroute them. Also, signs that indicate your home is protected with a security system (whether it is or not)...

All of these (and the things you mentioned above), are effective deterrents. (My hubby is a former Military Police officer and agrees with all this). Professional pepper spray is good to have nearby (wasp spray is fine, too)....and having a baseball bat within reach at the entrance (your side of the door, etc.)

Also - you might consider looking into whether or not your neighborhood as a "Neighborhood Watch - WE CALL THE POLICE" sign within sight of your home. Or has a neighborhood watch organization. In my city they put the signs up without us having to 'pay dues' or go to meetings or anything......

Our community expounds "community policing" - (ALWAYS call the police). And they are very prompt to respond, at least here.

EDIT: lol!! I see others have already mentioned my tips.
Be safe!

This. My little dog alerted me that something wasn't right. She's a smarty pants and didn't bark/growl but came up to me and just kind of whined I guess you'd call it. It was a DIFFERENT kind of whine, more like her telling me something was wrong downstairs. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would've noticed the sounds/rummaging I heard. Whomever it was in our house that day, they were VERY quiet. Living in a house for years, you learn the normal house sounds. These weren't normal, that and the screen being up, convinced me that someone was in my house that day.

They left swiftly, and quietly though. Thanks to the Moss!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Isn't it the police's job to protect and serve? Oh nooo, that changed somewhere along the line didn't it!

The police cannot be everywhere at once... and therefore cannot always be at the scene of a crime when it is happening. Our police were there within a few minutes.

I'm really sorry to be so frank, but something has got to give. Someone needs to start de-escalation proceedings. Do you people really want to live like this?

"Frank?" Really? That's the word you think applies to your surrender to those who would do you harm? Hmmmmm.... You were obviously never a Boy Scout, or you would know the value of being prepared. Guess what... the world is filled with bad people who will do bad things to you, me or anyone. I will not live in fear, but neither will I live in ignorance. I will take reasonable precautions for reasonable threats. I truly have no idea how you can consider such an "escalation of proceedings."

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
1. A big dog, or even a small dog, I have 2 yorkies that are very good alarms for alerting.
2. I put up warning signs on my property, thats Reads " Guard Dogs on Duty Beware".
3. Camera's, they dont even have to work, usually just the sight of one, will deter most people.
4. An alarm system, or even just the sign itself, if you cannot afford the system.
5. Motion lights, window alarms.
6. Good quality dead bolt locks on all entry doors leading into house.
7. Pepper spray, Tazers, a Blinding Spot light, Whistle, learn self defense. etc.....
8. Hand gun with Rat shot as your ammo, it wont kill just really really pepper the crap out of someone.
Or a Shotgun, then purchase special non lethal ammo.
9. Crossbow, Compound bow, etc...
10. A good ole Wooden Baseball bat.
But personally, I prefer my Smith & Wesson handgun 17 Hollow Points ready to go, Or my 12 guage shotgun with Buck shot, if that fails then ill break out the AR-15, AK-47, 30-06 remington.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Hell yeah it was! All the neighbors were really amazing though, as were the police, and that's really good to know.

Thank you! I will do that.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. This is what I've come up with:

1. Yard lights: Solar powered motion-activated lights make it impossible for anyone to approach the house unnoticed.

2. Car key fob: Keep car key fob close at night to hit the panic alarm to get the attention of the neighbors if needed.

3. Home phone: Keep home phone close so when calling 911 on the home phone, the dispatcher will immediately know the address where help is needed, even if the caller has to drop the phone.

4. Wasp spray: Wasp spray will release a concentrated, focused stream up to 25 or 30 feet.

5. Whistles: I ordered a dozen storm whistles this morning that can be heard up to 1/2 a mile under optimal conditions for alerting neighbors.

6. Bells: A string of bells on each door that will alert everyone to an unwelcome visitor.

I like 1 through 3. These are all perfectly reasonable safety precautions. Except on #3 - I had someone try to break in once and the dispatcher needed me to tell them where I lived. This might be because I live in a small town though. Maybe not every department has the latest tech. Thankfully they just smashed the window and looked in and when they saw me inside they ran for it.

I'm not convinced of the usefulness of 4. I've read conflicting things online concerning wasp spray. Some say it works, others say it does nothing. My advice: get a machete or baseball bat. Preferably the machete, but that may be illegal in your area? A bat should be legal everywhere.

I'm not convinced of the usefulness of 5. Considering you would be using it inside your home the panic button your your car key fob is probably louder and would better get your neighbor's attention. But you can keep it with you when you leave home, so that's something.

6 is okay if you're a light sleeper but I would suggest a home alarm system if you are really that worried. Get quotes from a few different companies before you make your decision though. Or if you're really cheap and you just want a noise made when someone opens a window or door without your say-so they also have DIY alarms like this:
www.amazon.com... eywords=door%20alarm&qid=1445279848&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Further advice: get a dog. Even a small one! I have a chihuahua and she knows when someone's outside and lets us know it.
edit on 10/19/15 by peskyhumans because: grammar

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
double post. please remove.
edit on 10/19/15 by peskyhumans because: double post

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

A baseball bat is only as lethal as you make it.

Ain't that the truth! I have a length of heavy steel tubing that my hubby cut for me that I keep by the bed, and I know it's lethal in some hands, but I always wonder (read: worry) just how well I can wield it...

A shot gun loaded with rock salt.

Very interesting... I haven't owned a shotgun in years, but it's worth passing on to those who do. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanormalGuy
Make yourself a stun-gun using these cheap high voltage modules (free shipping):
www.banggood.com...

Together with a 18650 battery or two in series it will kick serious ass!
Trust me, I have tried.

Hmmm... very intriguing... but it's all Greek to me, so I'll let my hubby take a look.

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A nice .357 pistol is non lethal until you load it and pull the trigger.

Sometimes just the threat of an armed victim will do the trick.

edit on 19-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Ours is a very nice, legally shortened, Mossberg shot gun.

We don't have little kids, so that's why it's kept within reach, and loaded.

I'm convinced that someone came into our house over the summer. I was home alone and heard someone down stairs walking/rummaging.

I picked up the Mossberg and quietly got to the bottom of the stairs then racked it...Said a few choice words, heard some more foot steps and then quiet.

...[snip]...

I know that if I didn't have that weapon, I would've pooped a brick, I'm sure.

I had a very similar experience once... amazing how effective that sound of a shotgun being racked is, eh? But I was shaking like a leaf and almost couldn't do it. Had to have a very stern talk with myself over that!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777

3. Camera's, they dont even have to work, usually just the sight of one, will deter most people.

Yes! I thought of this and then forgot it... shame on me. I'm going to print up a list of all the suggestions I get here, so I'm glad you suggested it -- thank you!

7. Pepper spray, Tazers, a Blinding Spot light, Whistle, learn self defense. etc.....

Excellent!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Believe it or not... I know a few folks who have a conspicuous sign that reads; "Forget the dog. Beware of owner." Those homes have never been broken into, even though others around them have. Obviously that won't work for the whole neighborhood, but the premise is good. Give would be criminals something to think about when they enter your neighborhood.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join