It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

DNA Analysis Reveals New Wrinkle in the History of the Shroud of Turin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:17 PM
I still kind of like the idea that it was a shipping cloth draped around a bas-relief statue of Jesus that got tanned/burned in the sun. The Jesus in the image is obviously not a full, round three dimensional figure. Wrap a real person in a cloth and the resultant contact image wouldn't look anything like that, even if he had a magical radiation glow. it would be nice to find the sculpture it came from, but that would really be a longshot.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:32 PM
So.. There's a funky picture on a bedsheet stolen from a hotel somewhere?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:05 PM
Nary a more ineffectual investment of time has there been than in investigating myths and superstitions. It's tantamount to druidry or phrenology. *retardface.bmp*

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:29 AM
a reply to: Hyperia

Well, the possibility that a relatively big piece of linen cloth as it is the Shroud was manufactured in India and then sold in a market of Jerusalem to be bought by Joseph of Arimatea is certainly considerable.

There is enough historic evidence that Palestine at times of Christ was a land where a lot of trading routes from near and middle east converged into Egypt or coming from Africa.

So the Shroud itself perfectly could be a linen fabric weaved abroad before to be used as the Burial Cloth of Jesus Christ. This is definitively pretty interesting since practically bury all the so bold pseudoconspiracy theories we have listened along the last 20 years trying to "expose" this object as something made in Europe by the Church of somebody working for it.

I am adding this Hypothesis to the ones we already are discussing in the thread opened in science and Technology forum about this same topic.

By the way the news of the Indian polen at last leave the great Leonardo Da Vinci to rest well in his tomb, after years to be falsely accused by fanatics of to be the brain of a supposed forgery.

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 10/20/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:45 AM
a reply to: Revolution9

Excuse me Revolution, I certainly agree that there were not just one but various pieces of linen, including also strips of that material, involved in the burial of Christ, according with the gospels narrative but I encourage you as soon as possible to check carefully the characteristics of the Shroud before to say that it was never mentioned in the gospels, a statement that it is definitively wrong.

It is clear that you have a very incomplete information of what is the shroud and also of the existence of those other elements that you have mentioned, that with the help of God were also preserved until our days from anykind of attempts to destroy them.

First at all the Shroud has attached side strips of the same length and material that were clearly used to fix it on the body of the death corpse, so there is essentially noting missing on what it was used in a traditional hebrew burial of the time, that is already certified since years ago.

Use of side strips attached to the Shroud in the burial

Who kept the shroud from the prosecutions against Christianism in the first three centuries of our era took good care to knit all the pieces together in order to prevent they became lost or dispersed in multiple hands. The only one that remained separated was the cloth used to wipe the hair of Jesus, for the simple reason that it was used only in the taking down of the body from the cross, not in its burial.

Now, apart of those long strips of linen there was also a second smaller piece of linen that was exclusively used to dry the mane of Jesus from the blood produced during his execution process, that is the Holy Sudarium that was brought from middle east to Spain in the VII century.

The Sudarium used to wipe the head of Christ is right now kept in the Cathedral of the City of Oviedo in Spain, there is more information about it and its undoubtful matching with the Shroud in the thread we have on this same topic in the forum of Science and Technology.

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 10/20/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:57 AM

originally posted by: Revolution9
a reply to: theantediluvian

Also, check John 11:44 about Lazarus (who would have been buried the same way most likely as He was a Hebrew, too):

"And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with grave clothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

Some say Ohhh the gospels were translated badly and the Mishnah says this and that, but I am holding with the Gospels, especially when the multi accounts are in tandem.

Luke 24:12; "he saw the linen cloths by themselves". Notice here, too, we have the plural of cloths. It seems they used strips of linen upon the body and a face cloth over the head as far as the theory I side with contends.

Hey, but when did that stop the Catholic Church? They like to go their own way you see and get people believing all kinds of stuff that does not appear ANYWHERE in the NT.

You obviously haven't read NT

Acts 19:11 "God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them."

Matthew 9:20 "Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. She said to herself, "If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed."
edit on 20-10-2015 by Ove38 because: text fix

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
I will bet there's Martian dust on it too.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:57 AM

originally posted by: Q33323
I will bet there's Martian dust on it too.

Confuse and confound the human (always a good hoodwink) especially when utilizing (contaminating with extra DNA) a precious artifact they seem to value. Keep them running in circles so as not to notice the obvious gameplay.
edit on 21-10-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:52 AM
a reply to: Blue Shift

The Jesus in the image is obviously not a full, round three dimensional figure.

It's the image itself on the shroud that testifies to it's authenticity.
If man made it man could reproduce the image easily.
Even with todays technology he can not.
That fact alone dates the shroud to the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The only other event known whereby the image could have been
put there by something besides man. And it is three dimensional.

edit on Ram102115v53201500000017 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:43 AM

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: theantediluvian

John 19:38-42New International Version (NIV)

The Burial of Jesus
38 Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. 39 He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds.[a] 40 Taking Jesus’ body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs. 41 At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid. 42 Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

It should be covered in myrrh and aloes and be in strips.I doubt Jesus would have left behind an object to become venerated and worshiped.

Absolutely agree. This would have been the way of burial. Like the mummies (strips of linen - like what my avatar's head is wrapped in, hahaha!).

Also there is another account at the resurrection:

Luke 24:11; "Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened."

See, strips of linen every time, not a "fabricated" shroud (pardon the pun, lol). It is the same hoax as the spear and all the other icons, of which there seems to be about a million of each circulating, all saying they are "the one"; just like little fake messiahs that Jesus said look out for.

Unless strips of linen meant nothing more than instead of a nice cut, it was instead crudely torn from the bolt of original cloth and not necessarily strips meaning thin long pieces. Because two relics exist in Europe explaining why it says linenS which are the shroud and sindon the latter much more realistic and just in 2014 it was proven that
A:the Sindon was compromised of stains of 1/6 blood 5/6 lung fluid which would be expected covering a crucified persons head and
B: The stains are located where they should if Jesus were lain face first in the dirt by Joseph to allow him to be pried from the wood...leaking out the nose and mouth then smashed into the rest of the face and
C: the two cloths have very distinct histories but with 100 percent certainty initially covered the same head/facial carving for forging or whatever the story is. Netflix streaming has finding Jesus or search for Jesus episode one I think worth a watch
edit on 10/21/2015 by AlexandrosTheGreat because:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:56 PM
a reply to: randyvs

Well dear Randyvs, I agreed with the fact that all attempts until now to try to reproduce an image of the same quality and characteristics of he shroud have failed dramatically, it can be copied in some of its aspects but not in all.

Now coming back to the 2015 results we are discussing to suggest negligence or a plot from the laboratories is not fair, It is understandable that 35 years ago they were not following better quality control standards surely because who carried out the tests were not even aware of heterogeneity of the object, and of course this object is extremely singular in its History with respect of many others science has tried to date.

The dates produced by the attempt of dating of 1980 are only showing the average of the different ages of all the materials contained in the sample, and well if you date together material from the 1st century with material from the XIX or first decades of the XX century it is easy to conclude that all comes from the 10 century as a natural mean value of the ages of the two components.

Now, what it was definitively an error of the laboratories is the way they decided to remove from the data values that were showing disparity in their results. In order to arrive to such average at least two different dates produced from the sub sampling were eliminating by the laboratories as outliers since with them there was no way even to match their results.

Pls read:

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:35 PM
a reply to: The angel of light

it can be copied in some of its aspects but not in all.

Not as far as I've been able to find.

top topics

<< 1   >>