It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady of the Flaming Torch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A study in be careful what you wish for and beware of imitations, any investigation into Lady Liberty and her flaming torch will conclude that this was a somewhat shallow appropriation of the classical Goddess Libertas as a means to inspire the masses toward revolution on behalf of the Middle Class in order that they might more readily pursue the freedoms obtained through their newly acquired wealth, a token figurehead of the Hermetic Orders.

Libertas was the facile Deification of an abstract principle in the service of the Roman state, an extension of the cult of Jupiter with regards to the granting of freedom to slaves and therefore strictly limited in application, the Goddess then in terms of the revolutionary age of enlightenment became representative of the freeing of the masses from medieval feudalism and guarantor of limited political freedoms, but little more than that.

Of course people being what they are took this promise of freedom to heart, but when they pursued such beyond the regulations of the state they would generally find themselves confined within it's prison, true freedom really only had it's place in the brochures, however there was a Goddess from earlier times a certain Inanna or Istar and unlike Libertas she took freedom really seriously, at least as it applied to her;

Lady, you be the brightest of them, so may they call you Ištar of the Stars!

May your high position (relative to them) alternate between the two sides(east and west) triumphantly!

May your splendor be as abundant as that of the moon and sun in (their) watches.

May the flaring glow of your torch shine high in the sky!

May the people marvel at you as one for whom among the gods there is none to check up on her.

The text is from The Late Bilingual Exaltation of Istar in which the Anunna Gods convene on behalf of Istar/Antu and were she is given the sole right to do whatever she wants thus obtaining absolute freedom of action.

Let Antu truly be the spouse equal with you, may she rise up (equal) to the authority of your name

Moreover, in addition, let her carry out herself the decrees of Enlil and Ea.

When she alone has taken hold of the nose-rope of heaven and earth, she shall be our strength

In considering why it would be expedient for an Assyrian King to sanction a Theological treatise granting Istar absolute freedom of action with regards to running the world it needs to be considered that the King was understood as her consort, that his Queen represented the physical incarnation of her as Nanaya, so basically as long as you kept her sweet this suggested a Divine mandate to do whatever you wanted, acting on her behalf, but the Assyrians had already taken liberties with Mesopotamian tradition with regards to this sacred marriage involving Nebo, associate with Mercury, rather than Dumuzid, and it all eventually came to nothing with Istar reduced to the status of lesser spotted Demon in that region.

There are important pointers in the text though with regards to the tradition of Inanna demanding absolute freedom of action, she did represent desire for individual expression and freedom, her cult generally involving none recognition of boundaries and the blurring of distinctions to the effect that equality was a natural by-product, often with regards to gender and morality, even though she pursued freedom of action only for herself the same principles were practised and held in regard by her devotees.

The extremities of the cult of Istar would have been the last thing the Enlightenment revolutionaries would have had in mind or desired when they espoused the cult of Libertas, she simply wouldn't recognize their right to rule in any shape or form, yet she is the true bearer of the torch of freedom that cannot be reconciled with any secular state and it's provisions of limited right to self determination.

The proper consort of Istar as i mentioned was the shepherd Dumuzid, he could be expected to maintain the desire for personal liberty in balance, everybody can do whatever they choose as long as they only desire good things, through his spiritual influence, a secular state cannot nor can it deliver what it promises in terms of liberty, neither can one reduce a living spiritual expression, a Goddess, into an abstract principle that can be tolerated as one see's fit, having let the genie out of the bottle she will not be happy at being forced back inside, confrontation becomes inevitable, so even though Libertas was something of a sham these things take on a life of their own.

So there we have it, to establish the true rule of Liberty will involve something along the lines of the abolition of the secular state, the eradication of the atheist mentality and all religions that do not recognize the role of Inanna, as well as the tiresome followers of Nebo, this should allow her full expression ...

edit on Kam1031291vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1931 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

I prefer the Buddhist philosophy to solving secularism.

There is only One vehicle taught by many skillful means. This is freedom of choice. Freedom to choose leads to freedom of the will. Freewill leads to freedom.

SnF

edit on 19-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I'm sure that system of thought will also teach that for every choice there is a consequence, what Istar sought was the right to do whatever she wanted without any fear of consequence, no Karmic Laws checking up on her ...

May the people marvel at you as one for whom among the gods there is none to check up on her.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You really like ishtar, don't you?
S&f never thought that libertas was a tamed form of the older version. Holding the flame of the renessaince, is a beautiful picture and i actually thought it was more about the flame than the one holding it.
But she does have the power to enlighten and ignite.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I don't believe in Karmic reincarnation, nor do I believe that is what Siddhartha Gautama taught.

I believe he taught that liberation comes from freedom and wisdom. Every action has a reaction. Sometimes the oligarchs believe their is no one checking up on them. But historically there is always a reaction.

I prefer to stay grounded in philosophy that has proven itself repeatedly throughout the ages.

"do what you wilt shall be the whole of the law", is always followed by consequences.

Wisdom is understanding the consequences and tailoring your freedom to achieve the most prosperous results. Stepping on someone else's freewill always has negative consequences, even if the consequences are not immediate. This is how I view Karma.

edit on 19-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I do, but it's also about putting into effect the decision of Anu and the Anunna Supreme Council...

Holy An, the great words of his mouth cannot be stopped The great gods bow down to him, like a curved staff, in approval of and in prayer to him

What you have commanded is just. (Like) that which a prince or lord has uttered, what youhave commanded is obeyed
An, your lofty command takes precedence, who would say No to you?

Father of the gods, your word, the foundation of heaven and earth, no god fails to heed it

Lord, you are the leader who takes only his own counsel, what should be our counsel?

Grant your strength to the maiden Ištar, whom you have loved.

Your reliable approval, weighty as heaven, make known (to her) in our assembly.

So really that ruling needs to be implemented, the granting of absolute freedom to Istar and her followers, it's there in writing.

a reply to: Isurrender73

I'm sure you have a point and this is why i pointed out the importance of natural balance with regards to the appropriate consort for Istar and the principle of being able to do whatever you want, there is the requirement for considerate behaviour and that is provided by Dumuzid the shepherd of the people in his natural protective role, thus the two have to be adopted in conjunction, so everybody is doing what they want but they are only wanting to do good things.

So as i considered, in adopting freedom as an ideal within a secular society there are no such spiritual acknowledgements and restraints, only the application of arbitrary laws and punishments and people getting away with whatever they can, a total mess generally and better they hadn't mentioned anything about freedom.
edit on Kpm1031291vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1931 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

edit on Kpm1031291vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1931 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
no hocus=pocus or invoking an ancient pantheon....

snip from Wikipedia:

Bartholdi and Laboulaye considered how best to express the idea of American liberty.[18] In early American history, two female figures were frequently used as cultural symbols of the nation.[19] One of these symbols, the personified Columbia, was seen as an embodiment of the United States in the manner that Britannia was identified with the United Kingdom and Marianne came to represent France. Columbia had supplanted the earlier figure of an Indian princess, which had come to be regarded as uncivilized and derogatory toward Americans.[19] The other significant female icon in American culture was a representation of Liberty, derived from Libertas, the goddess of freedom widely worshipped in ancient Rome, especially among emancipated slaves. A Liberty figure adorned most American coins of the time,[18] and representations of Liberty appeared in popular and civic art, including Thomas Crawford's Statue of Freedom (1863) atop the dome of the United States Capitol Building.[18]

Artists of the 18th and 19th centuries striving to evoke republican ideals commonly used representations of Libertas as an allegorical symbol.[18] A figure of Liberty was also depicted on the Great Seal of France.[18] However, Bartholdi and Laboulaye avoided an image of revolutionary liberty such as that depicted in Eugène Delacroix's famed Liberty Leading the People (1830). In this painting, which commemorates France's Revolution of 1830, a half-clothed Liberty leads an armed mob over the bodies of the fallen...

not too much exotic symbolism by an elite illuminati...just practical judgements about public acceptance....

no Native American females and no fighting female with bulging biceps like the French Dame either...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

When the church binds you to sin, and the law says innocent until proven guilty what would expect?

A bunch of innocent sinners running around until someone proves them guilty?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've always felt that she was Artemis / Diana.

At the moment of her design in France they were enamored of ancient greek/roman gods, and knew very little about the Babylonian/Sumerian ones. If anything at all.

The key, for me is in the nose.
That and a very masculine form of face for the Greek/Roman periods.
Unmistakable to me. Here I've added a statue of Artemis,
and coin of Diana for comparison.

The story goes that Actaeon saw her bathing one day,
and she was angry enough to incite his own pack of hunting dogs to tear him apart.

^pic of his own dogs tearing him apart.

But why is that?
This question, and which version of the legend is right has echoed through the literature,
and is probably as old as civilization itself. Is gazing on a goddess (while bathing) the same thing as judging her?

For instance in the Elizabethan era (that period of literature where naughty books were banned, so descriptive country sides became an allegory for sex: "and they joined hands and walked the old country road together" ) it was considered a morality tale. That Actaeon, unlike Diana's many attendants and servants, had committed the sin of looking
upon her with lust.

To that I say really?

My feeling is that the great terrible secret,
the one worth killing for,
is that Artemis may have been a man in drag.

And if his/her/it's secret got out
it would be game over
for that goddess in
the ancient world.

So who is she?
I don't know.

But there is probably some modern version.
Some modern woman of great influence
whom no one knows is really a man.

/my two drachmas

Mike

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

On stylistic grounds there was a fair amount of borrowing from other Deities for the statue of liberty, but there is no doubt the French revolutionaries were only concerned with Libertas and her role in the freeing of slaves as represented by the Phrygian cap associated with her cult, the limited role was intentional and it was a mistake to associate her with all expressions of personal liberty, also her adoption by the United States was entirely ridiculous as they were in the business of importing slaves not freeing them.

a reply to: St Udio

Wan't that my point, that Libertas had very limited meaning...?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

On stylistic grounds there was a fair amount of borrowing from other Deities for the statue of liberty, but there is no doubt the French revolutionaries were only concerned with Libertas and her role in the freeing of slaves as represented by the Phrygian cap associated with her cult, the limited role was intentional and it was a mistake to associate her with all expressions of personal liberty, also her adoption by the United States was entirely ridiculous as they were in the business of importing slaves not freeing them.

Interesting!

So, just 26 years after the Emancipation Proclamation France gifts the U.S. with a symbol of Liberty/free-the-slaves.

Did Inanna have slaves?

Mike

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yes that could well have been the case that it celebrated the ending of slavery;

Bartholdi was inspired by French law professor and politician Édouard René de Laboulaye, who is said to have commented in 1865 that any monument raised to American independence would properly be a joint project of the French and American peoples. He may have been minded to honor the Union victory in the American Civil War and the end of slavery. Due to the troubled political situation in France, work on the statue did not commence until the early 1870s. In 1875, Laboulaye proposed that the French finance the statue and the Americans provide the site and build the pedestal. Bartholdi completed the head and the torch-bearing arm before the statue was fully designed, and these pieces were exhibited for publicity at international expositions.

The earliest records from Uruk do indicate that slaves captured in war were part of the Inanna household within her Temple complex.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt
So there we have it, to establish the true rule of Liberty will involve something along the lines of the abolition of the secular state, the eradication of the atheist mentality and all religions that do not recognize the role of Inanna, as well as the tiresome followers of Nebo, this should allow her full expression ...

I believe this ball gained momentum this year and is rolling nearly full speed ahead. The passing of the torch from Marduk/Nebo/patriarchy (Mars/Jupiter) to Inanna (Venus), to me, meant the shift in ages. She is returning, for sure.

This thread has made me consider something I've never thought of before. If you look at her timeline of events, it correlates with events from the US (Lady Liberty) in the last few decades. I haven't sat down and parsed it out yet but I bet a person could almost predict America's next big shift by studying what Inanna did after the Me's (FOIA, 1st amendment, civil rights, etc) and in "A Hymn to Inanna" (LGBT civil rights). Her descent into the underworld could even be compared to 20th century wars (WW1 & 2).

I can't wait to have time to really think this through. Awesome thread.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Yes it's fun, all the Anunna Gods were on board with the idea of making Inanna Queen ofthe world, their idea of a New World Order which is the exact opposite of that of the Zionists, it's a question of timing with regards to implementation but there's nothing that could prevent it, apart from Inanna herself who is prone to changing her mind, she may now want to be something else.

The commands of my Anu-ship are the complex fundament of heaven which cannot be equaled.

My fixed boundaries whose exteriors are fearsome and know no approaching,I am Anu , the king's helper; do take hold of their band.

Do take for yourself the entire extent of their territory, exercise alonethe ruling of them!

Come, rise up to my dais of kingship and dwell in the heights

Corresponding to my called name, may Exalted Antu be your called name!

My faithful vizier, whose lips are prized, who is aware of my secrets, Ninsubur, my fitting vizier, shall exercise the status of father with you.

May he (standing) before you constantly present auspicious words from(every) god and goddess.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
i have read a few threads of yours the sumerian vampires thread was interesting. so the myth i heard on the originals had to do with selene leaving apollos temple to join the temple of artemis however when her "interested" followed they were allowed sanctuary under the condition they couldn't touch let alone any thing else. is this a story you know anything about?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

It's from the so called Scriptures of Delphi, in particular the Vampire origin story, entirely modern.

edit on Kam1031293vAmerica/ChicagoWednesday2131 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join