It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWII-era Air Force Bomber unit reactivated during ceremony at Dyess AFB - 489th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
So this seems like an interesting story. I don't know much about how these decisions are made or how often, but is reactivating the 489th more of a statement to some foreign power? This group was originally put in place for WW2 and then deactivated shortly after the war ended and some very successful runs apparently.

Just wondering, from our military aircraft experts opinions, what is the reasoning for reactivating this group of heavy bombers using B-1 Lancer's?

Don't B-1B's have a super long range strike capability without refueling? And why reactivated in the Reserves?

Source

The 489th Bomb Group was reactivated Saturday during a ceremony at Dyess Air Force Base. The bomb group will be the first B-1B Lancer Reserve unit in the Air Force.

Originally activated in 1943, the 489th Bomb Group participated in combat operations in Europe during World War II but was then deactivated just two years later.

edit on 10/19/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hmmm, that is interesting.

I'm no USAF expert, but I assume it's posturing in reaction to the Russian movements in the ME. But perhaps also posturing in regards to the USN's movement of their carrier group to the disputed Chinese islands?

I know China has ICBM's but I don't think they have tactical bombers like the B-1B.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves are responsible for over half the missions in the Air Force.

The B-1 doesn't have any more range than the other two bombers do. Any of them can reach any target in the world with refueling.

As for the unit, they activate and deactivate units. It happens. They're getting ready to induct the new bomber so they're going to need new units, so you'll see new ones activated and eventually transfer to the new aircraft.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
Hmmm, that is interesting.

I'm no USAF expert, but I assume it's posturing in reaction to the Russian movements in the ME. But perhaps also posturing in regards to the USN's movement of their carrier group to the disputed Chinese islands?

I know China has ICBM's but I don't think they have tactical bombers like the B-1B.

Yeah...China was my first thought on this as well. Maybe making a statement to them for some reason? Wondering if there is any particular country that the B-1B would strike fear in for some reason, possibly an older mission one was involved in, or some capability it has that another country does not have a counter to?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There was an article I found about the B-1B being deployed to China recently:

Source

The Pentagon's point man on Asia-Pacific said Boeing (Rockwell) B-1B Lancer bombers and surveillance aircraft would be deployed to Australia as the United States looks to firm up its regional military posture towards Chinese territorial claims.

Assistant secretary of defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs, David Shear, made the comments at a US Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on 14 May. Dubbed 'Safeguarding American Interests in the East and South China Seas', the session was focused on the US response to Chinese reclamation activities in the Spratly Islands.

While US Air Force (USAF) bombers have visited RAAF Base Darwin in recent years, most notably Boeing B-52s in August 2012 and December 2014, officials from both the United States and Australia have moved quickly to tone down Shear's comments.

USAF Colonel David Honcul, director of Public Affairs for Pacific Air Forces, told IHS Jane's that "the US Department of Defense has routinely deployed heavy-lift bomber assets through Australia in the past ... With regard to our force posture initiatives in Australia, the Department is currently exploring a range of options for future rotations with our Australian counterparts. The specifics of future force posture cooperation are yet to be finalized."

An Australian Department of Defence (DoD) spokesperson told IHS Jane's that "the US government has contacted us to advise that the official misspoke."

The Australian DoD added that the US-Australian alliance was "not directed at any one country. The specifics of the future force posture cooperation are yet to be finalised. Details are subject to continuing discussions between Australia and the United States. A range a different US aircraft already visits Australia for exercises and training. Increased cooperation will build on these activities.

I find it odd that this was announced then the US and Aussie governments quickly jumped in to "diffuse" the comment, even going as far as to state it was not directed at any one country while the exact name of the meeting was "Safeguarding American Interests in the East and South China Seas"

Kind of narrows the country down methinks...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves are responsible for over half the missions in the Air Force.

The B-1 doesn't have any more range than the other two bombers do. Any of them can reach any target in the world with refueling.

As for the unit, they activate and deactivate units. It happens. They're getting ready to induct the new bomber so they're going to need new units, so you'll see new ones activated and eventually transfer to the new aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification. Is it odd that the B-1B has been specifically mentioned in flying missions over the new Chinese islands recently though?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

China has the H-6, based on the Tu-16. The H-6K is a modernized version that is a big improvement over the older versions.

They also have at least one stealthy bomber in the works, with another bomber being developed.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

It's the best platform for it. It's fast enough to get away, has the range to out last anything the Chinese would intercept them with, and has the airframe numbers that the B-2 doesn't.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Reactivating? Factories for war…

In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!

War Pigs

top topics

join