It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gone Girl" is an indictment of all humanity and it's not MGTOW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I think people are really misunderstanding the film "Gone Girl" (2014). I first heard about it because it was touted as being "the first MGTOW film" by some.

www.youtube.com...

*SPOILER ALERT*

After watching it, I don't think it was MGTOW at all. How could it possibly be MGTOW when the lead male character (Nick Dunne) is broken, beaten, and scarred at the hands of his wife then he ends up staying with her to have a family at the end of the film? How is that MGTOW at all?

Nick Dunne was a complete conformist, a total wimp, and possibly the most spineless man ever put on film. The guy was laid waste by his wife and yet he slavishly stays loyal to her at the end of the film.

Here's my take on "Gone Girl"...

The last few minutes of the film contain the entire message. The message is that all of humanity is corrupt beyond repair. Nick's wife was a murderer and she tried to have Nick imprisoned on false charges. But, Nick puts those crimes aside to stay with her.

That's the crux of the message of the film to me. Nick was willing to become an accomplice in his wife's horrendous crimes so that he could stay with her. By doing that, Nick was no better than her.

"Gone Girl" is an indictment of all humanity. It's also an accurate portrayal of far too much of modern life. Family and friends covering up each other's crimes because they need each other...

It doesn't matter why you've become an accomplice in a crime, the only thing that matters is that you did it.

When I thought about how the very types of things that happened in "Gone Girl" are going on all around us all the time...it changed my view of the world.

I want out of this insane asylum called earth!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
This might be mega useful for a bunch of people: MGTOW Definition

Flynn says that, in writing the book, she wanted to examine how people within a marriage lie to each other: "marriage is sort of like a long con, because you put on display your very best self during courtship, yet at the same time the person you marry is supposed to love your warts and all. But your spouse never sees those warts really until you get deeper into the marriage and let yourself unwind a bit."

Source

It's a dark film and book. I can see how the 'MGTOW community' would gravitate towards its conclusions for multiple reasons. Some of those reasons I can see are a bit darker than others.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

How is that MGTOW at all?

I haven't seen the movie. However, reading about it and watching the previews it is a MGTOW movie in that it displays what men can go though in a soured relationship, although extreme. Thus, why MGTOW is a better option.

So it's MGTOW in the sense of what not to do and how to prevent your life from becoming ruined.

Most men aren't setup for murder, but instead have false abuse accusations and lose their home/kids/job/friends and have to pay child support when their wife decides she wants a divorce(70% of divorces initiated by women).

Ghost

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Yes, I worked this out long ago. A woman and kids often comes at a heavy price indeed. I don't play the game and have opted for a celibate life. In this day and age it is all just too much of a liability. Sorry ladies, but...

"It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." says Paul in Corinthians. Spot on, Mr Paul says I, lol.

Kids??? We should grow em in a factory and let the authorities have the burden of raising them (joke). They stick their heads in often enough anyway. Go Nanny State!!!

"Gone Girl" is a very good film and an intense enough human drama to produce some interesting analysis.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

Flynn says that, in writing the book, she wanted to examine how people within a marriage lie to each other: "marriage is sort of like a long con, because you put on display your very best self during courtship, yet at the same time the person you marry is supposed to love your warts and all. But your spouse never sees those warts really until you get deeper into the marriage and let yourself unwind a bit."

Sounds like Flynn has been burned before. Majorly.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Well, I think you may be taking this to an extreme. I wouldn't say it's an indictment on society as a whole, just one part of it.

On the other hand, this is a movie that belongs in a time capsule to be opened in one or two hundred years. It's an important happening in American society that needs to be looked at.

I do agree though with your opinion that people cover up the crimes and other important shortcomings of family and friends.......for whatever reason. A perfect case in point about this is the guy that shot up the community college in Oregon. His family knew he had bad mental issues......but gave him guns anyway. People turning a blind eye like this is just as bad for humanity as religion is. People say that religion has stifled the inner growth of humanity to the point where it should be considered a crime. We don't do much better though by way of covering up for family because "blood is thicker than water". Or whatever else type of excuse we can conjur up. Do you know how much more advanced we could be both personally and socially if we refused to accept the dark side of family and friends? The personal aspect of this........it negatively outweighs the overall societal impact because it's a precurser.......it leads up to the societal impact, but individual "cover-ups" like this go unnoticed by the general public........until it effects the general public. Like mass shootings.

You could take this farther and say that because individual actions sometimes spill over into society at large, that we need to more closely monitor individual actions so they DON'T spill over. But then you would have people screaming over the loss of personal privacy. They would rather have personal privacy than a society, a society THEY have to live in, that is peaceful. Selfishness in all of it's glory, right there.

What the female character in that movie did, as evil as it was, was a crime committed against people in her own little circle. At the end of the day, no one outside of that circle was physically hurt. The farthest out she went from that was the Neil Patrick Harris character. ( What she finally did to him haunts me to this day........and it's just a movie ). You said that the male character was spineless. I'm telling you from first hand experience that until you deal with a drop-dead gorgeous psycho like that, you really shouldn't pass judgement on the men who have to deal with them. It has nothing to do with him being spineless. It's about him knowing full well what she is psychologically capable of doing to those he loves. She would never hurt him though.....and he knows it. She NEEDS him in order for her to play out her fantasy role of wife, husband and children. Because of the way her parents unwittingly molded her in childhood, she has no what what reality is all about. Think about that for a second and you might re-think your opinion on who's really in charge there. She needs him, not the other way around.

It ended very dirty, by him feeling that he was forced into her version of a marriage. It happens all the time though, so what is a man to do. Play along. Be the man she thinks you really are when the real thing just doesn't measure up.

In his case, there's a bright side. She's physically beautiful. Arm candy. I'm surprised the male character didn't end the movie with him forcing her to pole dance to this:

Anyway, it's a movie worth buying IMO.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I had to look up MGTOW. At first seemed silly. But it is a good idea just physically impossible! As men we need women . . . ok well just personally I feel I do. And have known women that are crazy! It's a paradox, I want it but don't want it. Now that would be a good subject for a movie. A MRA, someone who got burned and now is a MGTOW . . . not sexist just wanting to not have to change for women etc. But then meets one like in this movie, .like a Ben Affleck character that tries to stand up for himself, do what's right.

join