It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A human design flaw.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Humans are endowed with two things to help us make good decisions: compassion and intelligence.

Surveying the GOP presidential field, and all the things going on around the world, it appears a third line of defense is needed.

Yes, humans have a design flaw. And we are going to kill ourselves. How many other species have done that?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SkyNetBeware

Many humans are truly compassionate and caring, but when it comes to the environment all it takes is one or a few greedy mental cases and, out of the ocean of compassion, come the members of the species who destroy forests (the only animal to do that), oceans, and even such things as "empty lots" which teem with life and biological wonder. The poor idiot who killed that lion recently is only the tip of the uncaring iceberg, and the fact that entire industries dedicated to gravely harming the planet for personal economic gain shows that the compassionate and caring have so far been little match for the mundane and unfeeling.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Well we can give them science but they'll still lack the other two unfortunately.

edit on 19-10-2015 by Pinke because: Grammars

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Compassion will sometimes lead to a poor decision depending on which approach you are taking to moral philosophy - Utilitarianism? Egoism?

But it is IMO almost 100% certain that we will indeed kill ourselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think the uncaring and misinformed outnumber the others.

But they are just smart enough to finally figure out how to hack gvmt and pretty much throw their monkey wtenches into the works.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Compassion: Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Species: We will not entirely kill ourselves. That is, we won't make ourselves extinct. We may kill a whole bunch of us... like, way way way too many, but the species will go on until that meteor finally strikes.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

"Life will always find a way." ~~ Jeff Goldbum, Juarrasic Park

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The flaw in human design is no doubt the ability to do wrong, dispite ones intuitive and natural reasoning to do good.

It's unfortunate, but there are two sides of the spectrum when individuality is put in to place through human consciousness. Most people choose the wrong side.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
What does this op have to do with the he gop field? Or the democratic field for that matter...

If we are talking compassion, please address the billion or so people who are acolytes of a dude who condones banging children and stoning homosexuals...that doesn't seem compassionate

-Christosterone

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkyNetBeware
Humans are endowed with two things to help us make good decisions: compassion and intelligence.

Surveying the GOP presidential field, and all the things going on around the world, it appears a third line of defense is needed.

Yes, humans have a design flaw. And we are going to kill ourselves. How many other species have done that?

We simply don't know, for all we know it could have happened time and time again on this planet and time and tide have destroyed all remnants, or this could be a first.

I always thought the design flaw we had was our teeth...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Species: We will not entirely kill ourselves. That is, we won't make ourselves extinct. We may kill a whole bunch of us... like, way way way too many, but the species will go on until that meteor finally strikes.

Allowing the meteor/asteroid to hit, or choosing not to colonize elsewhere, is part of the idea we are not smart enough to avoid killing ourselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Compassion is not enough.

Neither is intelligence.

We need both, and perhaps even that is not enough to avoid a dark fate.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

There's a shortcut to hell built by those without compassion or intelligence. The long way there has detours to heaven for those heedful enough.

As to species, every single one of us will someday die if we don't work together to migrate to the stars. In the short-term, yes, I agree, I suspect a few "lucky" souls will "survive" whatever ill we let loose on the world.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I would say that A balance of the mind and heart is key.

A certain global understanding would be crucial, but I fear that is next to impossible. To have the world as a collective agree on something, no matter how pure or genuine, someone or a group of someone's, will not agree.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I blame the system. Everybody wants to be appreciated, to be appreciated you need to be successfull, to be successfull you have to give up your integrity, without integrity all that remains is the ego.
So in a way the decline of religion and the individualism are why we are in this mess. You may smack me for that.👅

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

"Life.... Uh.... Finds a way."

FTFY

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I'm not too sure about other species besides my own, however we do engage in destructive acts, we do not kill ourselves though - that would be suicide.

One might question the need for destructive acts, however we know that sometimes pain can occur that is to the level wherein non-lethal damage can abate it.
edit on 20-10-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
IMESHO, our species is still quite infantile. This planet, in this physical dimension, is simply a temporary... call it, a nursery, across which, as of right now, humanity is running rampage like 8 billion rugrats.

We look out the window and suddenly think we know everything there is to know about the universe that lies beyond. We take the very concept of this existence, being more than a brief moment from which we should endow ourselves with physical pleasures and toss it to the side.

Someday... perhaps sooner rather than later, the nursery door is gonna open and we're gonna poop our diapers.

Again, in my ever so humble opinion.

edit on 20-10-2015 by redoubt because: Not quite sure... word 'window' came out as _

join