It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Is As Civilized As Saudi Arabia: 6 Yrs in Prison and 223 Lashes For a Kissing Scene

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just and FYI for those who think Iran is some shining light in the middle east. Like their ideological companions in Saudi Arabia, they frown upon violations of their Sharia Law. This sentence is given out for the "Idea" of having a kissing scene in a movie. They didn't even do it.

Iranian Director Sentenced to 6 Yrs in Prison and 223 Lashes for Kissing Scene in Film
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

Kurdish-Iranian director was sentenced to six years in prison and 223 lashes for including a kissing scene in his latest film.

The scene was never actually filmed after the actress backed out.
Rudaw reported:

Kurdish director Kaiwan Karimi has been sentenced to six years imprisonment by a judge of the 28th branch of Iran’s revolutionary court.

Muhammad Moghise, the judge presiding over the ruling said that Karimi had insulted the scared values and promoted illegitimate relations and contact through kissing.

In addition to the tough prison sentence, he is to receive 223 lashes.

In a rare telephone conversation with Rudaw Karimi, 30 and a native of the Kurdish city of Baneh, rejected the accusations and decried his sentencing.

“I’ve made a film about the government, social conditions, graffiti on the walls and the working class,” he said. “It is for people to judge my films. I don’t know why I should be punished like this.”

Karimi’s lawyer, Amir Raisyan said that the director has been sentenced for an idea and nothing more.

According to Raisyan, Karimi received the harsh sentence for a scene that he intended to film.

“He wanted to film a scene but because he didn’t reach an agreement with the actress it didn’t happen,” Raisyan told Rudaw.

edit on 18-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is a sad example of religious paranoia.

I personally believe sexual paranoia and too much access to sex via internet, tv and movies are the main reasons the world is filled with so many sex crimes.

We need to allow people to express themselves, but I believe sex scenes should be like they were in the 70s and 80s tv and family movies. Cut away before the action.

The extreme suppression of sex makes sex seem more interesting. Too much exposure to sex poisons the mind and we forget that the opposite sex has a mind and soul that are far more important than the physical body.

I am all for moderation but this is absurd.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The guy is not getting punished for the scene but for his stupidity. He perfectly knows what kind of mentally sick government his country has, but he decided to go for it. What was he expecting, an Oscar?
edit on 18-10-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Gee, what a surprise that religion would want to control human sexuality. And what better way to do that than make a public example of the dirty, nasty, culprit. I'm surprised they didn't behead him on Iranian TV. They may as well have. They just ruined his life. SMH.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Iran, the lovechild of ATS apologists....

Lets see how they spin this one....

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The religion of peace strikes again.

This is why middle eastern people and their foul religion need to stay in the middle east.

edit on 18-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Well one thing is for sure he likely will not do that again !...pretty tough on what they perceive to be a crime,i bet that the prison/rehabilitation system weeds out the repeat offenders...

Perhaps we should start sending all the pedophiles from here to Iran for sentencing and punishment

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

There is no rehabilitation in those justice systems.

Sharia law doles out beheadings like candy. Lashings are for lesser crimes, hands get chopped off for theft and heads roll if you engage in extra marital sex. Especially if you are female.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I agree it is not rehabilitation it is medieval punishment....i could argue though that the system in the west does not really rehabilitate either if anything it furthers a persons criminal career......

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Ewww, the gateway pundit is awful. Have any other source?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Ewww, the gateway pundit is awful. Have any other source?

Not sure why the source is in question but here are two more. Has more information on more prosecutions and lashings. Sicks SOB's

And don't dance over there unless you want 91 Lashes and 6 months in jail.

www.nytimes.com...

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — An award-winning Iranian filmmaker whose work focuses on the travails of modern life and political expression in the Islamic Republic has been sentenced to six years in prison and to 223 lashes over his films.

"I don't know what happened that I should go to jail for six years," Karimi told The Associated Press. "I speak about the government, I speak about society, I speak about (graffiti), I speak about a laborer.

"Watch my movies and ... (then) judge me."

Both Karimi and his lawyer Amir Raeisian say a court on Saturday sentenced the filmmaker on charges of "insulting sanctities" in Iran, whose elected government is ultimately overseen by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. The footage involved both a "video clip" and a film he directed called "Writing on the City," which focuses on political graffiti in Iran from its 1979 Islamic Revolution to its contested 2009 election.

www.washingtonpost.com... fc_story.html

In May 2014, authorities arrested a group of young Iranian men and women for a video of them dancing to Pharrell Williams’ song “Happy.” While the arrests drew widespread criticism, including from the musician himself, those involved each received suspended sentences of six months in jail and 91 lashes.

Meanwhile, Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian, a dual U.S.-Iranian citizen, has been detained in Iran for 14 months and was recently convicted on charges that include espionage. He reportedly faces up to 20 years in prison.

For Karimi, he said his case made no sense as Tehran University had supported his work on filming and producing “Writing on the City.” In the time since, however, he said the university students involved in the project have shunned him over the trouble he’s seen, including when authorities raided his home and destroyed some of the hard drives and a laptop holding his work.

“I don’t know what will happen,” he said Tuesday. “I’m really shaken about this judgment.”

Karimi said another of his films, the short documentary “Broken Border,” also may have angered officials. That movie focuses on the smuggling of Iran’s subsidized gasoline over the snowy Zagros Mountains separating the Islamic Republic from Kurdistan in Iraq.

The 18-minute movie needs only the film’s one scene of dialogue in a rural classroom to explain it.

“Now what is a border?” a teacher asks.

A young student responds: “A border is where goods are smuggled.”

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

This can't be true. Muslimism is the religion of piece (piece of neck, piece of hand).

And besides, the damocrats, the party of piece (piece of your wallet, piece of your freedom) like muslismism soooo much that they want to import thousands of them into our country. And make Sharia law part of the legal system. Whats wrong with that? /s
SnF

edit on V362015Sundaypm31America/ChicagoSun, 18 Oct 2015 17:36:24 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

I hope that changes when they see what happens to Europe over the next few years.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Typical, since it is Iran in question the guy "should have known better".

If it was Israel, the cry would be for UN sanctions and Russian airstrikes.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Not sure how or why someone would justify this, the punishment definitely doesn't fit the "crime", but I think what people object to is the constant vilification of these nations by the usual suspects: the US, israel etc.

Just as they did with Iraq, Libya, Syria etc. With the end game always being the same: bomb, kill and attack.

Its never about diplomatic solutions or leading by example. Its always a mass media propaganda blitz followed by yet another unprovoked Western attack on a sovereign nation.

Not even sure how we could lead by example. Our "justice" system, while not as backwards as other nations, has the world's highest prison population, consisting mostly of non-violent drug offenders.

Regardless, Iran was definitely on the chopping block but with Russia getting involved in Syria, I guess the West will have to rethink their strategy.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneedi could argue though that the system in the west does not really rehabilitate either if anything it furthers a persons criminal career......

In most liberal western counties, prison is about reform, with the risk that people will reoffend.

However, I guess that if you chop the hands off a thief they are unlikely to reoffend.

Which one is civilised though?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Which one is civilised though?

I am not sure either are civilized,our system in the west could be described as modern,especially when compared with the middle east....

Our jails are theoretically supposed to rehabilitate but in most cases that does not happen ....

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Iran, the lovechild of ATS apologists....

Lets see how they spin this one....

Saudi Arabia champion of peace and democracy in the ME from the wests propagandists.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
now if we could only get the Christian extremists to move there, this would be a better America....and who knows?...maybe the extremists Muslims and the extremists Christians have a lot in common as it pertains to women, parenthood, sin, punishment for sin, daily living religious requirements, etc...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I don't even twitch reading these anymore. Isn't this..."normal" for the lands of Islam ?

Fire away.

top topics

join