It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Yellow-bellied sea snake:Deadly sea snake warns Californians of deadly El Nino

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:28 AM
I'm not sure why they've got go and scare us with using the word deadly for the storms coming, but apparently the sea snakes give us an indication of heavy rain and storms ahead.
As the link here talks about,

California does need rain but one year of heavy rainfall may not be enough as this link goes into detail,

I'll take as much rain as we can get, although mudslides are no good.
So far all I've felt has been teeny tiny sprinkles late in the night.
I remember reading somewhere about how it's best to have light rainfall before heavy as that prepares the ground to better take in the water.
According to the above link, the El Nino isn't supposed to come until between January and March 2016, so maybe we'll get some softer rains before then. The forecast isn't always 100%.
Have a good Sunday ATS!
edit on 18-10-2015 by peppycat because: clear thought

edit on 18-10-2015 by peppycat because: wors stuck together

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:41 AM
a reply to: peppycat

I'm not one to shy away from animals, but snakes, omg. Just looking at that snake. It's is beautiful. But it gives me the willies.

It will be interesting to see what this El Nino will bring to global weather.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:46 AM
a reply to: crappiekat yeah I'd run the other way, that's for sure, if I saw one of those on the beach. Bright colors on animals like reptiles are loud and clear in my mind to stay away from them. Its cool they removed it from the beach and tried to save it though.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:08 PM
Here's some information about them.

According to the link. Usually the only time they wash ashore is if they are weak and sick.

I hope they do some toxicology tests on this thing, and find out what it's been eating. And maybe it will be another piece to the puzzle about what's going on in the Pacific with all the other death's and stranding's of animal's along the west coast of North America.
edit on 18-10-2015 by crappiekat because: forgot link

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:54 PM
a reply to: crappiekat Interesting read thanks for the link. Looking things up I found a couple of reasons for why the snake might be sick.
Popular Science says that rising ocean temperatures are releasing large amounts of methane into the ocean leading to acidification of ocean water, this according to the link,
According to Global Research, the article titled, Radioactive Debris in Pacific Ocean: Fukushima Radiation is Tearing up the West Coast of US and Canada, says "Every single day, 300 tons of radioactive water from Fukushima enters the Pacific Ocean''
Here is link to that article

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:20 PM
a reply to: crappiekat The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has information on how El Nino could possibly effect world climate.
Under the tab, what effects does El Nino have on world climate, at this link

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM

Thank you for the interesting reading info.

I haven't gotten to the fuki article, but the other two were very interesting.

I found this also in my search.

Boy, El Nino really does create alot of turmoil.

Enjoy your Sunday. Detroit is kicking Chicago's butts. Gotta watch the end.

edit on 18-10-2015 by crappiekat because: to add. Getting forgetful

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:07 PM
It's definately hot and humid out.

A friend of mine just made a post about finding one in Santa Barbara. I post your link on the page.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:14 PM
a reply to: crappiekat Yikes, thanks for the link on the poor coral reefs. Enjoy your sports game and Happy Sunday!

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
Indigent has a thread about these snakes and his thread might explain why the snake was sick and died.
Not enough rain?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM

So maybe this isn't a bad omen for Cali, but a good one.

The snake is looking for fresh rain water, but it was too late for him.

LOL!! I don't know. But I have really enjoyed learning about sea snakes today.

Thanks. I will pop over to the other thread and learn more.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:32 PM

Every time there is an El Nino event, there is a resetting of coastal ecosystems. It was the fisherman of an area who noticed the weather pattern first because they noticed the disruption to their fishing. Warmer water is less productive water. Less productive water means there is less food in the food chain. Less food in the food chain means that there are going to be less animals and die offs in the populations that are regional and not able to roam widely enough to escape the warm water caused famine.

This is a very strong El Nino. That means there is a lot of warm water, and it's not very productive. There is reason why cold upwellings harbor so much marine life and so many different species in so much abundance. Cold water is life in the oceans.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:56 PM
a reply to: ketsuko Thank you for the insight, I'm finding El Nino very interesting.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:02 PM

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: ketsuko Thank you for the insight, I'm finding El Nino very interesting.

Of course, the big argument is going to be: Is this a natural El Nino or are we causing them to be worse? I'm of the opinion that there really is no way to know for sure because we don't fully understand all the mechanisms that go into climate and because we've only been monitoring climate for a very short time relative to all of the planet's climate history. We do know that life has survived periods of much warmer overall climate and much colder, but trying to figure out all the particulars relative to those periods and match them with what is going on today is difficult.

What is certain is that there is no perfect climate and no matter what we do, we cannot control the earth like it has a thermostat.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:09 PM
a reply to: ketsuko I was trying to get to the bottom of that argument earlier. Some sights say we are warming things up and some say El Nino is a normal occurrence. I feel as if I will never know whether the sun is getting warmer because of ozone depletion and warming the water or whether El Nino is completely normal. I do think people pollute the planet.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:11 PM

Oh, El Nino is perfectly normal. The only argument is if human activity via MMGW is making El Ninos more intense more often.

Considering that this is the first really intense El Nino we have had since 1998 though, and that while this one is close to the intensity of 1998, it hasn't quite matched it, I'd say I'm not ready to sound the alarm over it just yet. It's been nearly 20 years since the last really strong El Nino like this.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:14 PM
a reply to: ketsuko Sorry, what is MMGW?
Never mind my slow mind just got it... man made global warming!

edit on 18-10-2015 by peppycat because: my mind slowing down

edit on 18-10-2015 by peppycat because: lacking sleep

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:29 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

My understanding is this is going to a stronger ElNino than the 95? one.

What will the effects be. We really won't know til maybe next year at this time.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM

Man Made Global Warming which is also called Climate Change depending on where you go and read.

While you are at it, you should also look up La Nina and La Nada which are also part of the El Nino cycles. La Nina is with abnormally cool water what El Nino is with abnormally warm, and I don't know if "La Nada" is official or just a term used in Internat commentary and climate blogs to describe the conditions when the waters are neither abnormally cool or abnormally warm.

Usually, a strong El Nino will be followed in not too many years by a strong La Nina.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:35 PM
a reply to: crappiekat

It depends on what you mean by stronger I think. In terms of how long we've been in El Nino condition, yes, but in terms of peak strength. It hasn't quite reached 1998.

Basically, this El Nino has been a weak to moderate El Nino for the past few years and is finishing off with a bang, but the bang isn't yet quite as strong as 1998. It could still get there, but hasn't yet.

So more total energy over time because 1998 was a sharp, strong peak that developed rapidly and dissipated just a quickly, but not as quite as sharp a spike in strength.

But there is still time. We won't know until the event peaks fully and begins to dissipate ... just like the Arctic ice melt every year.

new topics

<<   2 >>