It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD has some scary-sounding x-ray vans – and it’s refusing to talk about them

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
As a law enforcement body this asset would a lifesaver in a massive amount of situations and would be welcome in most areas of policing.
The worry is how easy is it to abuse. I don't need to explain the amount of invasiveness this would create. If they are fitted in vans then that means they passed all field tests and in some instances have been in use for x amount of time.
For those of you who want to stop the invasiveness then just paint your walls with new product available to counteract this x-ray machine. The paint is cheap and renders the machine useless. I will try post a link to the manufacturer.
England has known about this for ages and the criminal fraternity know how to counteract it.
On another note how welcome would this be to the 'peeping tom'.

It's less about privacy (though that's an issue too) and more about danger. Xrays are very dangerous, these things can be lethal if you hit a person with them, if not right away you still take decades off their life with cancer and given that cops are just treating this as a toy with pretty much no oversight on it's use, it's a legitimate concern.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepThoughtCriminal
Because high level criminals, the ones with a lot of money, are going to be investing in protecting their vehicles from the X-Rays, using technology that has existed for a long time. Any time there's a change in how things are done, people adapt. It's how people smuggle drugs internationally. An X-Ray van isn't gonna stop #.

Then it will soon become illegal to use any sort of radiation shielding because if you don't have anything to hide... Of course we know that this approach will work based on the experience of banning guns and drugs and seeing them eliminated totally from society. (That last part has to be read in a sort of exasperated and sarcastic tone of voice)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I like your attitude and style.

our privacy means nothing to these pigs anymore,read the news,that'll tell you.

car bombings in new york or other big cities? unlikely.they need to take that xray machine to afghanistan,iraq,and other terrorist related countries.THAT'S where the actual car bombers are waiting.i swear you give them an inch,they'll take a mile and stretch it.

If this machine ever reaches my hometown while being used on ME,ill sue for infringing my privacy and will get the best attorney one can get and sue.it'll take awhile to filter through the courts,but ill prob win.if people begin getting cancer from out of nowhere or start losing hair for n reason a short period after this xray machine was used on their vehicles,business offices,etc,a class action lawsuit will arise and god knows the number of people who will file claims forms for a settlement check,they deserve.who pays for it? you and I.speaking of which,congress needs to pass laws making settlement checks composed of police corruption to come from the police,not tax payers money.someday,that law will take place.the more we fight,the more they'll listen.

anybody else having an issue with not being able to post or reply on the "posse comitatus" forum? it's basically all about police corruption and boy do i have a monster load of stuff i would love to share with you people.The mods blocked anyone from posting.

xray machine are meant for docs offices,hospitals and airplane terminals,not for innocent people on the streets or upon their vehicles without notice or a warrant.i'd like to make a complaint already to the police chiefs office about this.the only real threat to the people from terrorism are the actual cops them selves and they've proven that to us.

i dont know what part of "a badge doesnt grant you extra rights" they dont understand? this is the beta experiment upon us.who knows what the effects will cause from a high tech xray machine will do.at first the effects wont reveal much,minor.just wait till it gets worse down the road the all hell's going to break lose all from their machines.

I dont care how you all look at it,i simply do NOT trust cops in any which way shape or form.their words dont mean chit to me.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
lol that it can penetrate the sheet metal of cars and vans, but when directed at a structure, mere "paint" can block it.

Someone might want to look at that claim and apply some maths to it.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I don't know if it would work in this situation. But here are a couple of options:
X-Ray resistant underwear
GIB X Block This vendor has a joint compound that block x-rays.

-dex

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
What about the people they X-ray. without you r permission you are being X-rayed without proper PPE. This will sterilize men and women if the X-rays are strong enough let alone cause cancer.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
On the one hand, i am a frothing lunatic when it comes to privacy.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel people living in cities like NY and Chicago shouldn't know better, and leave.

Man wasn't meant to be stifled by authority, or to be surrounded by concrete.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: skunkape23
What about the people they X-ray. without you r permission you are being X-rayed without proper PPE. This will sterilize men and women if the X-rays are strong enough let alone cause cancer.

Backscatter scanning uses very low power emissions.

This presents entertaining opportunities for the technically apt, though.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Dang! I guess it’s time I put a coat of that special paint on the Marquis de Sade room downstairs. Oh well, it needs it anyway...

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Someone in New York should post a 4th Amendment billboard in Times Square.

Those x-Ray vans are a clear violation of our constitutional rights.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yea sure it's a lower dose, because it is so much easier to see thru multiple layers of steel than the skin on your arm. Do you think the Manufacturer is going to be completely honest about a product selling for almost a million a pop? Heck Volks Wagon lied about emissions on a car costing less than $50K. I will bet that when the specs finally come out on these vans the operators are in a lead lined box for protection and the out put is much higher than the manufacturer has stated. But don't let me stop you from drinking up that koolaide!
a reply to: Domo1

Edited for spelling
edit on 10/182718/1515 by Stearman65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Stearman65

They don't work the same way as a medical xray.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Most police depts have xray cars. Big cities definitely. You can see weapons under clothing drug panels in cars. You point the radar at a target and it comes up on a green computer screen like night vision. Its been around since late 1990s.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join