It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superiority complexes in the world and on ats.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I had no clue you were asking a question because of how you were phrasing it. I thought you were just making an insult because of the insane comparisons made.

How about we say that religious people... Are completely normal people, with one alternate view in their life?

What do we need fast food for? Grocery stores? Text books? This forum? That cannot be done in other ways. Oh, sure we could grow gardens, start a fire to cook our food over, we could study on our own and figure out what the books try teaching us instead.

Honestly, I see religion as a convenience. It's a bundle of things but at the top are spirituality, and morality. People identify with what they agree with, and band together and discuss said agreements..and sure, they deem someone more fit to be in charge of teaching them said agreements, is this a bad thing? I don't think the answer is yes or no. It's just a thing.

Many, a lot more than you think, just quietly have their own beliefs - if I don't make a thread that includes religious topics or politics in relation to religion, I can't usually tell if a person is religious or not. No problem here!

Sometimes they want to share this information, because they believe they have ran into truth, and believe others should know it, too. Still no problem.

Then, some will behead, bomb, and crash planes into others due to their religion... This is a problem - well at least in my opinion.

I'm trying to make the assertion that what people do, not what they believe, should be how we see them. That believing in religion is not like being on crutches, and not like believing in Santa Claus, it's an entire concept and idea and thing itself. I don't think comparisons should be made, nor should someone be deemed smarter, or less so if they follow a religion.

None of my posts will explain why some religious people deny proven science, why some commit atrocious acts, why some belittle others and deem themselves superior, I can't explain this other than saying such acts can be found in all humans, all throughout history, whether religion is involved or not.

I'm saying both the person that claims they were abducted by aliens, and the person who says God visited them in a dream both deserve respect, and to be treated equally. I'm saying the atheist who is altruistic for their own reasons, and a person who is altruistic based on religious teachings deserve the same amount of respect.

edit on 19-10-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

That was the logest side step of a direct question i have ever seen. At no point did you answer the question. If you want discussion, you are going to have to learn how it is done. What can you get from religion that you can't get otherwise?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Feeling oneself superior to those one knows little-to-nothing of, is kinda of inane.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

It was a side step because the answer is not so simple.

It's like asking what you can get out of an encyclopedia that you cannot otherwise. You'd have to read thousands of books to get the same knowledge an encyclopedia holds.

Religion compiles sets of morals, beliefs, books, and forms of worship into one convenient bundle which a person chooses based on their own moral compass and thoughts. Some choose it because it's their families religion, others actually seek what they identify with - the reasons are not important to me at least.

If you insist on the short answer, you can save time by following what another asserts, rather than looking up each answer on your own.

But to say that's foolish of people.. Is like saying it's foolish to read any books about science, because you didn't make the studies first hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join