It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superiority complexes in the world and on ats.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

You didn't address how religion is much deeper rooted in a far larger amount of people. It's cultural, traditional, has psychology facets not even I have deeply studied..

Because it doesn't matter!

So more people believe in this instead of that, so what, each are equally believable or laughable depending on how you want look at it.
One has no more basis in fact just because it's older or because more people believe it.

K~

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Nobody is immune to ego.

Everybody has their own unique gift to bring to the table. But yes, some are prettier, smarter and overall better than others. Doesn't mean you should hate on them. They have it rough as it is, being the minority. Everything happens for a reason.

I totally agree that bashing others just because they don't agree is b.s.
It's cognitive dissonance at its finest. And it's just proof of ignorance.

Everybody falls into the trap at some point or another--even the best of us--so I think the best thing to do is forgive and forget and love one another (faults included--because we all have plenty)!

Basically, nobody is perfect. So we should learn to love ourselves for who we are--because you are the best you there is. And I'm the best me there is, and so forth.

So instead of being jealous of others, admire them. Be happy with what you have, don't hate others for having what you don't have, love everyone--including yourself--and you'll be beautiful inside and out.

Doesn't matter if you're fat, skinny, ugly, beautiful, dumb, smart, strong, or weak--love yourself and love everyone. Most of all, be honest with yourself and don't allow yourself to be deluded into your own version of reality--even if the truth hurts. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger--seek out integrity and self-actualization (regardless of what that means to you, personally).

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Somebody's butt-hurt lol.

silliness aside, I passively viewed the thread in question and I have to say you were completely wrong on almost everything.. Your only valid point was that no one theory in science is definitive. Which happens to be what science is all about, the constant shifting of ideological paradigms when new evidence is shown to disprove previous preconceptions or theories already established.

I understand your position nonetheless, you don't want your kids to be misled and their perspective of reality distorted to erroneous, baseless "theories" as you called them. To then go around and call people who disagree with your position sufferers of superiority complexes, is over the top dramatic...I recommend what wood carver stated; go out and educate your self further. I'm not saying your retarded nor am I implying I'm superior to you in anyway, I'm simply stating you need to learn more like you said:

I don't think any one answer on any topic causes our mind to be the best it can be. I think constantly learning and studying and contemplating things is important - would I ever believe I came to an end of such actions, and I could posit that I finished a non existent race, and I'm better than others... No.. First, I don't believe expanding our minds, perhaps souls, ever ends.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Canadians are some of the most condescending people I've come across on this site and in real life

Im hurt...deeply deeply hurt.

Means us brits are not trying enough!

Dam if the Canadians get the top spot!

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Superiority is an extension of the ego and the ego is something many people have nurtured by living in a little bubble.

Get out in the World, broaden your experiences, mix with other cultures, live in someone else's shoes for a week or two.

I always find that the people who feel superior to others, often know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

edit on 18/10/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The farmer is a genius at farming.
The blacksmith a genius at metallurgy.
The carpenter a genius at carpentry.
The plumber a genius at plumbing.
The electrician a genius with electronics.
The doctor a genius at medicine.
The painter a genius at painting.
The song writer a genius at poetry.
The writer a genius at writing.
The athlete a genius at athletics.

I know there are plenty more traits that could be added to the list. I have a high IQ because I have a good memory and they call me genius.

But I am not a genius in anything mentioned above. And the world would be a terrible place without all the types of genius this world has to offer.

Some people place to much importance on IQ. And they equate high IQ to philosophy. However most IQ is about memory and pattern recognition and has nothing to do with gauging ones philosophical aptitude.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Hear, hear!

TNM

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: Woodcarver

There it is! Thank you.

"an education will help that problem a lot"

There you go, unnecessarily making a blunt and rude statement, and an assumption all in one post.

I have an education. Higher than a large amount of the world, as I live in a first world country... I don't think it makes me better than those that are not educated, though.

Whenever anyone attacks evolution, evolutionist swear the attacker just doesn't understand. You must understand the only plausible solution that is not backed by creation is evolution. If evolution is wrong then by default creation must be right.

The problem with evolution.

Everything outside of speciation is founded on observational hypothesis with absolutely no scientific method to verify it.

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Cellular to multi-cellular can not be observed by any experiment so it is only hypothesis.

Organisms birthing anything other then something of the same genus can not be observed by any experiment so it is only a hypothesis.

There are no experiments that can prove the eyes, lungs, sexual organs or anything actually evolved from simpler forms. All evidence suggests these things are fully formed in all creatures without evidence that they evolved or are evolving. There are no experiments that can prove the evolution of organs so this is only a hypothesis.

The foundations of evolution is a multitude of sophisticated hypothesis. The fact that it is called a theory even though it can not be tested by scientific method is simply ignoring the guidelines of science.

The seperate science of Abiogenesis, which evolutionist are always so quick to point out is a separate science can not be proven by any experiment, so it is also only a hypothesis.

Evolution has become the religion of natural origins based on a multitude of hypothesis. If someone refuses to believe in the possibility of creation then evolutionary science becomes the closest thing to God in science. This is why evolutionist defend evolution as fervently as theologians defend God.

But believing in creation or evolution is not a sign of intelligence, it is simply a different hypothesis.
edit on 18-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Just because someone disagrees with you and shows you where you're factually wrong, doesn't mean they think they are superior. You need to have a thick skin to play on this playground. It gets rough sometimes.

I was involved in that thread and you said some stuff that was just ... well ... crazy-sounding. And people called you on it. Lots of us disagreed with your premise.

You eventually agreed that creation shouldn't be taught in science class. It was a good discussion that went on for 10 pages. That's what ATS is about. It's not always fun, believe me.

Now, you've started a new thread to "attack" people who disagreed and argued with you, by claiming they have a superiority complex. You even mentioned it in the thread. Not cool.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This thread is closer to a follow up of a thread I made before the creationist thread, but everyone seems to think I only adopted my mindset ever since my creationist thread. This is false.

My other thread was mostly people being good, even when they didn't agree with my side of things.

It's when people start attacking religion, comparing it to Santa Claus and magic when I get upset - they are both calling the religious person silly and positing a "better mind" than them all in one.

But other thread aside, I've seen this on ats, and across the world, applying to many different things. Religious people positing superiority, scientists posting superiority, sometimes race is the reason.

I believe all or these to be wrong. The trend I've seen lately is that spiritual people/atheists seem to think they are better.

For the record, I'm not talking about disagreeing. I'm talking about terminology like "sheeple" I'm talking about making fun of people, belittling their beliefs and comparing it to child's tales. I don't care if someone disagrees with me.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

It's not about viewing "the thread in question" it's across ats, and the world. Religious people think they are better and others are going to hell. Non religious people think they are better and that anyone with a religion will never have a mind as good as their own. This even applies to skin color, sometimes.

All of these are wrong.

And within my other thread, I'm talking about when people talk about magic, Santa Claus and the like. It's making fun of other people in a very non productive way, and just belittling another's beliefs, what some people base their life around, for no good reason.
Explaining the scientific theory and the constitution, and comparing creation within those in a reasonable manner teachers others.

Saying "no, Santa Claus isn't real and we need to avoid going back to the dark ages" is less reasonable. Do people understand that others could actually learn the things they wish they would if people were more kind, eloquent, and understanding? ( which I definitely assert I am not these at times)
Instead sometimes people just fuel the fire. They don't attempt to connect on any intellectual base, because of their own bias that the other person "can't" be intellectual due to one thing they believe in.

- I've changed my stances on a lot of things over the years. Adapting to new views based on new information is something I'd like to say I'm capable of and do. Even my stance on my personal beliefs could change, should someone have good enough evidence to have me think so.

But I don't deny any science because I believe in God. I believe in God, evolution, I believe we can scientifically explain the creation of the universe, or if not, could have if we were around. I don't think God should replace science, I think we should study on.

I definitely agree I need to learn more on a variety of topics, though. I am pretty clueless in some areas.
edit on 18-10-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Agreed. So many place so much importance on iq when they'd be without food without the fisherman, the farmers. We all have a role to play, and I see no reason to define ones role as more important than another's. ( as a whole )

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

This thread is closer to a follow up of a thread I made before the creationist thread, but everyone seems to think I only adopted my mindset ever since my creationist thread.

In your OP you only talked about the creation in school thread, so that's what I addressed:

I recently made a topic on ats arguing that creationism should be taught in schools

It's when people start attacking religion, comparing it to Santa Claus and magic when I get upset - they are both calling the religious person silly and positing a "better mind" than them all in one.

Religion is fair game for attacks. If you take an attack on religion as a personal attack and get offended, that's really on you. To many of us, religion IS like Santa Claus and magic. That's our opinion about religion and it's as valid and acceptable as YOUR opinion about religion.

Religious people positing superiority, scientists posting superiority, sometimes race is the reason.

Just because someone posts their position does not mean they are acting with superiority. And race? What does race have to do with it?

I'm talking about terminology like "sheeple" I'm talking about making fun of people, belittling their beliefs and comparing it to child's tales.

All of our beliefs get belittled. Again, beliefs are fair game. PEOPLE are not. YOU are not being criticized when someone expresses their opinion about religion, regardless what that opinion is.

Religious people think they are better and others are going to hell.

That's OK. They have the freedom to think and express that on ATS. What's in their head doesn't hurt me.

More and more, it sounds like you're advocating for political correctness where religion is concerned... Not many of us are very into that.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Huh? I'm talking about the world in those instances, not ats.

White supremacy is not okay with me. Neither is a religious founded supremacy, neither is a "scientific" supremacy okay in my eyes.

None of these people are superior to the others, nor should they act in ways that posit that superiority. In example the Holy crusades, the kkk, and the latest, the scientists who want to put people in jail who deny climate change.

You do bring up a good point where everyone is entitled to their opinions, and their own opinion and view points are as valid as another's, as I don't deem anyone's views as making them superior to another, nor smaller.

Opinions are fair game, but I don't know if I'm asking for political correctness or not. For instance, when someone talks about alien abductions , I wonder if they are bat sh*t crazy, but I never say so because I most definitely believe some other things myself that are just as crazy to others, and can't for sure know the truth about the entire universe.. . I believe in respecting others in their beliefs, or view points, and others respecting mine. Am I acting out of political correctness when I don't post on their threads, calling them crazy, and comparing their mental thought processes to a kid having an imaginary friends just because I don't personally think the alien abduction happened ?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

White supremacy is not okay with me. Neither is a religious founded supremacy, neither is a "scientific" supremacy okay in my eyes.

It doesn't really matter if it's OK with you or not. It's not OK with me, either, but, like it or not, people have the right to be racist, religionist, stupid or whatever. Saying that no one should act superior is really meaningless. It's like saying no one should eat meat. People are who they are.

For instance, when someone talks about alien abductions , I wonder if they are bat sh*t crazy, but I never say so because I most definitely believe some other things myself that are just as crazy to others, and can't for sure know the truth about the entire universe.. . I believe in respecting others in their beliefs, or view points, and others respecting mine.

It's FREEDOM. It's your freedom to choose to post in those threads or not, just as others have the freedom to post in there how crazy they think it is.

Saying that people "should" or "shouldn't" act in a way that makes you uncomfortable, is your right to SAY, but YOUR personal view on the world doesn't extend to others.

As regards respecting others' viewpoints, I don't. I respect their right to have and express their views, but I can't say I respect their views. If I did, they would be my views, too. I don't respect BELIEFS, I respect PEOPLE.

I think you need to get REAL FAMILIAR with freedom of thought.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

So when do you actually stop someone from their ways ? Honest question.

I personally think the Holy crusades could have been stopped if someone assessed the leaders of the Catholic Church minds and physically stopped them from going on said crusade.

I don't think such actions need to be taken on the average person, but honest question. When is a person going too far with superiority complexes ? When they threaten to use violence against others or is that just more freedom of speech ? When they actually start to physically act against others?

I guess you'd have to be more specific about freedom of thought. I believe everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and actions so long as they keep it to themselves and don't intrude on others,and by this I mean acts of violence, war, vandalism etc. I believe in freedom of expression and speech but how far should that go?

Also, some of what I'm saying does indeed extend to others here on ats. Extreme racist threads cannot be created for instance - do you think they should be able to be, do you think our site owners are wrong in "censoring" such things, because things like "manners violation" is certainly their opinion..?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Also, this is an opinion, posted on the rant forum. I am not asking that mods remove threads that personally offend me or others, I'm not advocating for any actions, simply having a discussion. Where do I seem to lack familiarity with freedom of thought?

If I was a law maker.. I wouldn't introduce laws that disallow people to say things that I am personally against. Nor would I prop up people that share things I personally believe.

And yes, saying people shouldn't act superior may be pointless and not change anything.. But I'm not attempting to change anyone, convert anyone. I'm sharing my thoughts, and responding to others thoughts on the matters..

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

At this moment in time you are a better singer than MJ.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

So when do you actually stop someone from their ways ? Honest question.

When it imposes on my life.

Example: I am all for people having full autonomy over their own bodies. If they want to get fat, use drugs, smoke or eat fast food every day, I don't care. It's THEIR life. We had a meth house down the street. A LOT of people knew about it. I didn't care. It's their house, their bodies. Not my business. Until one night, I woke up choking and gagging at the toxic, burning chemicals coming into my house. Seems these people were burning their refuse in the middle of the night (under the cover of darkness) and I went outside to see the plume of black smoke coming from the desert going up into the air, and settling right over OUR HOUSE. That's when it became my business and I took action.

When is a person going too far with superiority complexes ? When they threaten to use violence against others or is that just more freedom of speech ? When they actually start to physically act against others?

A superiority complex is all in the head. If it turns into threats or action, it's no longer JUST a thought, it's an action. You put "thoughts and actions" together as though they are the same. There's a CLEAR line between thoughts and actions.

Threatening violence and acting on it are against the law. Have the people you're talking about in your OP threatened violence against you? Or are you moving your goalposts? Simply having a superiority complex is not against the law and is within one's rights. Speaking as though they are superior is also a protected right.

Extreme racist threads cannot be created for instance - do you think they should be able to be, do you think our site owners are wrong in "censoring" such things, because things me "manners violation" is certainly their opinion..?

ATS is not a democracy, nor does it have free speech. The site owners make the rules, and I post here, knowing that. They are not the government. They are not "wrong" because I am not in the position to say. It's THEIR site, THEIR rules. And I either post within their rules or I can go elsewhere. I don't agree with everything they do, but that's irrelevant because it's not my site. They are absolutely within their rights not to allow racist discussions or drug talk or whatever they decide.
edit on 10/18/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I don't believe thoughts and actions are the same, and I do agree with you with what you're saying. No one in my op threatened me. If I was the site owner, I would not remove any posts from my previous thread, as no one did anything wrong in any more of a sense than what personally got to me - which I don't believe should matter to others.

I agree with most of what you have to say, I am just making a rant pointing out that I very much dislike people that posit superiority, or belittle others. What is your goal within this thread, if I may ask? If it's discussion, thank you. If you somehow think I'm in the wrong, and need to be corrected.. I basically agree with what you have to say, so you've done your deed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join