It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superiority complexes in the world and on ats.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Well, I suppose it's an error to put it that way exactly, religions which believe in reincarnation often believe in ideas like "the egg" - one soul lives the life of everyone on that planet as a maturation process. I don't know their exact beliefs on how it all came about, but it links back to a form of Godhood, so I tag their religions as creationist due to their whole and what, as I don't know their how. If someone wants to correct me in this, I'd happily take a seat and learn something.

But no I don't think it makes you better, and I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or witty or silly or serious, but regardless, I assure you I won't judge you as being a "lesser" person, whatever your tone.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

This is just human nature you're talking about. Why do some people get too confident? And why do some people feel better about themselves when putting others down? Why do some people think their perspective is always the best perspective? And why do some people mock or ridicule things that are different from what they're used to?

I've just accepted that that's how some people are. Don't stress it.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

False.

I am not very intelligent in many, many matters. I post on ats to form discussions, and learn from others, not to assert some form of dominance or superiority or fact stating mission... . None of my threads are closed topics, I fully believe I have something to learn from other members, and that is my point of posting in the first place.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I really am here to learn. I am autistic and don't socialize well, and don't present my thoughts well and with grace, which I apologize for, but I'm really just here to hear from others and expand my views. Not to assert my views and the hell with others.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Good point, I really shouldn't stress it too much. I've always just had such a problem trying to understand people that think they are above others.

It's like when I play video games, I go out of my way to free all slaves, even though it's just a dumb game, such crimes fueled by these mentalities affect me in major ways.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
There's quite a few here that seem to think they are superior for the simple fact they are on ats. That somehow they are a unique free thinker morally and intellectually above the "sheeple".

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: homeskillet

It's like it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, single or specific ways of being better than others aren't as much a problem.

I definitely think my political views are more.. Enhanced? Than my father's. I read from many msm sites, many alternative sites, and collaborate on issues here on ats. He only watches fox news.

But I don't think that I'm a better person than him, nor that if all of our political stances became laws, that my version of the nation would be better. I'm not a superior being, I'm not more intelligent than him, etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

So what did you learn from your creationist thread?
edit on 17-10-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You are completely correct and I agree wholeheartedly.

I do not think for myself so that is all I have to offer here....

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

This is a different thread, and I don't want to discuss the other thread, but I will.

I now agree creationism should not be taught in school science classes, as it is not scientific in nature, and no part of the scientific method is used to explain it. My original thoughts were based on the non consensus of scientists, about ever changing theories - but my original thoughts didn't take into account how those theories came about.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Thanks for stopping by, cheers mate.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I come on to ATS to learn and seek knowledge because all knowledge that exists on the planet comes from the human mind and there are some very sharp folks on ATS.

I am not interested in the messenger as much as I am interested in the message. I'll comment every now and again on various subjects and I try and refrain from ever making a negative comment towards another ATS member because I value everyone's input.

I treat everyone with the same dignity and respect that I have for myself, to do otherwise is counter-productive and that is not why I'm here.

I like to think that any conversation I have on ATS, then that member can go away knowing that we can talk at any stage on any subject and remain civil whilst we do so.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Again what the religious fail to comprehend or choose to ignore is the fact that to a non believer your faith is the equivalent of believing in Santa Claus.
& no religion is not sacrosanct from condemnation just because it's "Religion"

So maybe not so much a superiority issue as simply people not being able to take you seriously.

Now believe whatever you wish, that's your right as a self sentient being but don't blame others for finding your beliefs foolish.
Don't claim to have the truth while all others are wrong that's just asking for confrontation.

Hell I believe I'm trapped in this decaying carcass forced to exist with your kind as punishment for crimes long since forgot.
My penance is replying to your post.
Pretty whack huh?

But hey that's just what I believe, don't care what you or yours may think about it.
Have no need to defend it, will not be offended at any derision because of it.

So who you trying to convince about what you believe?

K~

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I have definitely seen that, and I thank you for being a model citizen, so to speak. I could easily see you being offered moderator position, if it has not been offered before.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Some people simply are superior to others in terms of intellectual and moral development.

People who grew up in religious families and communities and reasoned their way to unbelief are superior, in these terms, to those who never questioned their beliefs, clung to them desperately, or as desperately rejected them for failing to deliver the consolations claimed for them.

People who have developed an understanding of how the world really works, and have found a way to function compatibly with it, are superior to those who fail consistently because they insist on following a theory of the world that doesn't fit the facts. This includes many (though not all) religious people and the majority of those who embrace some kind of ideology, mythology or conspiracy theory. A superior person understands that all theories, even scientific ones, are only approximations of reality.

People who privilege humanity over ideology are superior to those who do not.

Uncomfortable facts, I'll allow. But facts just the same.

edit on 18/10/15 by Astyanax because: of my inferior spelling.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Non-believers are very obtuse, narrow minded, unobservant, ignorant, and many other words if they have come to a reason not to believe, or never came to believe in the first place, and they compare religion to Santa Claus in a literal way.

It's like they don't know a thing about psychology, anthropology, culture, tradition, and can't grasp the concept of faith, or lack the education to conceive such an idea as to why the extreme majority do believe in something greater.

Not to mention it's just condescending, rude, and ignorant the way some non believers phrase and compare things, then apply some belittling statement to said person. I don't believe in Magick or psy or remote viewing or telekinesis, but if another person does? Good for them! It doesn't make me perceive them as one iq point lower than I previously perceived them. I fully admit I don't know every mystery in this world, and fully admit that my belief in Christian principles is a choice, and may be false. But I won't tell you why I choose to believe something I intellectually know could be false.

I've met plenty of intelligent people of all beliefs, though, atheists, agnostics and the like included, and don't get the feeling they are actually as straight up dumb as you're for some reason depicting them to be.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Why is the belief in a majikal sky daddy any different than the belief in a majikal man who flies down chimneys?
Each has equivalent basis in lack of proof, why is GOD more believable than santy claus?

& why does it offend you that people find your faith in your beliefs irrational?

K~

PS...
Who has a superiority complex?

Non-believers are very obtuse, narrow minded, unobservant, ignorant,

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Yes, within this thread you will see me say that individual and very specific situations exist that can be called "superior" such as an Olympic athlete at their event, or comparing testing scores.

On the other hand, I'm talking about generalities. I do not believe someone to be better as a whole due to one facet about them, nor even all facets together.

I will never judge a person's character by one simple facet such as choice of religion, or lack thereof.

I would never judge a person as a whole unless I knew every detail about a person, which is only applicable to myself.

Judging a person as a whole is what I'm arguing about. Positing superiority as a human being due to self-perceived superiority in one area of thinking.

Also, I questioned my religion. I denounced it even, claimed to be an atheist, as I didn't care about a God back then, and didn't give thought to the belief in him. After more searching, I became more spiritual, less religious, while still maintaining some morals and standards from the previous religion based on their merit according to my own personal views I developed as well. Not sure where that puts me, within your posts description.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

I didn't say I was better than them or they were worse than me.

I never said I was open minded, intelligent, observant and all knowing.

I will never make a comparison, or say I'm better.

I fully believe those words apply to me in some instances. As well as to others in other instances.

You didn't address how religion is much deeper rooted in a far larger amount of people. It's cultural, traditional, has psychology facets not even I have deeply studied.. It's far, far different than a simple entertainment holiday character. If you can't see that, I guess I digress. I still don't see myself as better than you, though.

Also, I personally respect people of any belief more when they paint that they might not have all the truth, but choose to believe the way they do for their reasons. For any religious person or atheist to tell me they have all the truth, and that I'm an idiot for not following is ignorant on their part. No one has lived since the creation of this world.
edit on 18-10-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Yes, within this thread you will see me say that individual and very specific situations exist that can be called "superior" such as an Olympic athlete at their event, or comparing testing scores. On the other hand, I'm talking about generalities.

So am I. I regard people who are superior to others in the particular ways I listed as generally superior to other specimens of humanity, precisely due to those characteristics and their implications.

Democracy and equality before the law are necessary because frightful abuses and atrocities take place in societies where they are not at least nominally respected. And it seems that, in order to convince mankind of the necessity of these things, we have to invent the fiction that everyone is equal (or at least 'born equal', as a famous piece on mythography insists).

However, a casual glance around you will show that there is no truth to this 'proposition', and closer scrutiny will merely bear out that first impression.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I do not.

The most intelligent person ever, whom has studied and denied all religions, who is a master at many things, has a high iq, could very well be a man who desires to kill off all people who are "lesser" that him. Not to say this is the path an intelligent person will take, just to say the traits you speak of are definitely not the ones that make this world a better place, in my eyes at least. They can be, should that person apply themselves towards a goal.. But narcissism, greed, and the like does settle into the minds of those that believe themselves superior. Some having, or self claiming they have these traits you mention.

Because the traits you mention, and I mention, are subjective. Perspective.. There's no universal way to judge a person in these aspects, as everyone's judgements will differ.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join