It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of all Americans are worried about their personal religious freedom

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Thanks, kayla, for "witnessing" here.

Your message needs to be heard.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

My two cents....

Much like many aspects about politics, many things about my religion are local. (I'm making a distinction between my faith and religion; religion being the mechanics of my local church and diocese up to the Vatican, etc).

I am Catholic. I attend Mass on Sundays and am somewhat involved in my Parish's activities (and that is likely to increase now that our son is in our Church's associated Catholic School). Personally, I have not felt my "religious freedoms" being attacked. To be candid, I'm sorry to say that the most insults and smears I hear about my faith AND my religion are here on ATS when I read some of the venomous threads/posts.

Assuming that the study that you cite is on the level.... Why would people respond that way? JUST MY OPINION but I think people may confuse loss of actual "religious freedoms" with being subjected to negativity. I also think that the way some people report alleged "news" about this topic do it in such a way as to guide people there. A retail store replacing "Merry Christmas" signs for "Happy Holiday" signs is not a loss of religious freedom. Public schools stopping kids from exchanging Christmas or Hanukkah cards during lunch time, while in bad taste in my opinion, is not a loss of religious freedom. Neither of these examples stops anyone from attending religious services or nourishing their faith.

If I had to go on the other side, I suppose the two areas where people MIGHT have an argument are some peripheral aspects of abortion and same sex marriage. It is not the place for someone to say abortion should be illegal because of their religious views, in my opinion. However, for those that truly believe that human life starts at fertilization, and an abortion is murder and against their religious beliefs, I do not think it is acceptable to have them support it financially. I understand how complex finance in healthcare are so it is not cut and dry (which is why I used the "peripheral aspects" prefix).

For the same sex marriage, I don't think that it is acceptable for people to break the law because of their religious beliefs. However, using some recent stories about bakers and florists in recent news, I do not think it is acceptable to essentially FORCE people to essentially actively PARTICIPATE in same sex wedding ceremonies. From a business aspect, I'm not sure I fully understand why turning away an entire segment of the population would be good for the bottom line, but I digress. I can, however, understand how those directly affected (getting in trouble for refusing to participate) may feel their religious freedoms are under attack.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

No problem. I will say, however, that not ALL denominations of Christians are that bad. The evangelicals tend to be the worst with the "control by fear" tactic. Them and the Catholics.

To even bring up a subject like hell to a bunch of 5 and 6-year-olds is just despicable.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I will say, however, that not ALL denominations of Christians are that bad.

No, not ALL of them.

However, much of it depends on the child's "perception" of what they are hearing. I was raised in the Episcopal Church. I was never told I was going to hell, but on the other hand, I WAS expected to recite prayers saying that I was "unworthy so much as to gather up the crumbs from under thine table." It wasn't what my parents told me (they never, ever shamed me by using Jesus) it was what I WAS HEARING when I was taken to church.

All these hundreds of people bowing their (our) heads and saying how worthless they were.....
how they (we) were born sinners....
and all the fantastic stories about how "Jesus" was conceived, tortured, died, risen up again.....

In Sunday School, we heard about the Ark, Jonah, Adam & Eve, women being guilty, etc.
I couldn't believe ANY of it, and by the time I was 11 I had decided it was a bunch of hooey.

DECADES later, as my mom and I started talking about 'religion' (most of it happening after my dad died 5 years ago) - she revealed to me that she'd NEVER believed the "resurrection" stuff - and that I HAD MISINTERPRETED what the message was. Since I'd never asked about it, she'd never shared her view....!!!

So, the bottom line is as you say - it is despicable to expose kids, small, impressionable, magical-thinking-aged kids (5-8)
to that kind of "adult-sanctioned" rhetoric. Even if their parents don't talk about Jesus at home, but only drag them to church every Sunday, those kids are STILL absorbing WHAT THEY ARE HEARING, and taking it LITERALLY -

which is horrible.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

But there is indeed a "radical atheist" now, and most of them are on ATS it seems. They want to force their beliefs on others

How. How are they forcing? Seriously, how?

Some definitions of 'force' to aid you in your reply:

coercion or compulsion, especially with the use or threat of violence.
make (someone) do something against their will.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

A cult (anti-theists) is simply a group of people

The definitions for cult I am seeing include religious beliefs. Antitheists are against religion. Cult is not the right word.

with novel beliefs such as all religion must be wiped from the face of the earth.

Your wording still seems to be insinuating sentiments you expressed before about antitheists being analogous to totalitarian dictators. What are you really implying here? You’re talking to an antitheist right now that clearly said he doesn’t advocate the banning of religion, any use of violence or threat against religion, and supports religious freedom.

What I find fascinating is that the anti-theists
are saying that 40% of people CAN'T be
worried about their personal religious freedom.

Refer to my first post you never replied to for this.
edit on 19-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I knew who the OP was the moment I read the thread title........this seems to be a favourite topic to pine over for this member...

Playing the victim seems to be a popular pastime in general these days, especially on social media.

Continually crying wolf like this will only end badly.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

NVM. I won't participate in another Christian bashing thread like this one has become. Especially with some of the worst culprits on ATS on here, of course. What would they do without these type threads I have no idea. They'd have nothing to say.
Good day, sir.

edit on 10/19/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Sounds like Sunday School.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Hey, can you let me know if I'm one of the "worst culprits"? And if so, if I am (in your judgment), WHY?

What would they do without these type threads I have no idea. They'd have nothing to say.

BINGO! But, when these types of threads pop up every two or three days, we DO have things to say.

When you all shut up -- We all shut up. Case closed. Game over.

Deal with it.
You're not that special.

edit on 10/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Hey, can you let me know if I'm one of the "worst culprits"? And if so, if I am (in your judgment), WHY?

I was speaking indirectly to you, so you can feel proud of that. As for the other, I try to avoid you.

Deal with it.
You're not that special.

Wow. I know that.

edit on 10/19/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

But there is indeed a "radical atheist" now, and most of them are on ATS it seems. They want to force their beliefs on others

How. How are they forcing? Seriously, how?

make (someone) do something against their will.

Um, hate mail, death threats
both are quite common when it is
made public that ones religious ideas
are contrary to what the anti-theists
think is the "correct" way to think.

Like the pizza parlor owners who never
refused service to anyway. When hunted
for by a radical looking to find someone
to say something homophobic so she
could report it.

They received numerous death threats
and had to close their business for awhile
for their safety.
And all they did was answer a hypothetical
question and never, ever, refused service
to anyone.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Can I ask you religious people something? Do you care if we are atheists? Does it bother you?

I should add, it doesn't bother me that you are religious. Live and let live.
edit on 19-10-2015 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Can I ask you religious people something? Do you care if we are atheists? Does it bother you?

I don't care at all.

Live and let live,
you are good at that,
but there are some radical atheists who are not.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

I don't care at all.

Live and let live,
you are good at that,
but there are some radical atheists who are not.

HA! Look at my edit.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Intolerance comes in all colors.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I should add, it doesn't bother me that you are religious. Live and let live.

I've known atheists my whole life. and no, it's never bothered me, nor has my beliefs bothered them. All these attacks are quite new to me. BUT it's only four or five people on here. Most of them on ATS are factual and nice, and don't participate in the bashing threads and don't launch attacks. The radicals are a minority.

thank you for asking that question.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join