It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hair Advice & Rumors Dispelled (Hopefully)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Alright....My feminine side would have to be my hair....It's almost to the middle of my back...

But sine I've been growing it out (about 3 years now) I've heard so many rumors and have been given so much advice from different people, that I don't know who to believe or trust anymore...

Hopefully there are a few people out there who can level with me and dispel any false rumors I've heard and give me the advice I really need...

I'll just list some of these rumors I've heard about for long hair and you can take a stab at whatever you know:

1. Herbal Essence and Pantene ProV are supposedly bad for your hair b/c they add a wax coating to your hair
  2. It's healthier for your hair to only use conditioner and never shampoo
  3. It's bad to dry your hair with a towel
  4. You should leave the conditioner in longer than the bottle suggests
  5. Some cheap shampoos are just as good as the expensive stuff

And now for my request for advice

I know the answers to a few of my own questions - But what I'm really looking for is advice from a hairdresser or someone who knows enough to give and honest answer or point me in the direction of some good products that will solve my problems and not just give me a new set of problems...

1. My hair can get dry and frizzy, but when I use the moisturizing or anti-frizz shampoos, it just seems to make things worse....any suggestions on a GOOD shampoo and conditioner? I don't mind paying the money....
  2. My hair gets really tangled after I get out of the shower or when I wake up....is there a good detangling comb or product to solve this issue?
  3. Maybe this should go under the rumors...but I was told that you should only condition the bottom half of your hair...the hair closest to the scalp will be naturally conditioned by your own oils...this is one I believe, b/c I've seen the results since I've been doing it...any hairdressers out there disagree?
  4. Is there a good product that simulates having your hair straightened without applying all that heat? I've had it straightened twice, and it looks friggin kick-ass....but it sucks all the moisture out of it and is super frizzy the next day...

Alright....I'm sure many of my male companions here on ATS have felt a loss in my machismo from posting this thread - lol....well - screw you! If you don't have issues with your hair then you shouldn't have opened this thread

[edit on 1/2/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Somehow this got posted in the wrong forum....I'll see if I can get that fixed....

HEY! I found a picture of jesus in my hair! I'm gonna chop it off and sell it one ebay!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Here's the deal for great hair! I have always has very long hair...one of my best assets. At the moment it is a bit past my butt.
1) DO NOT ever let shampoo touch the bottom of your hair...never! Wet hair, them condition with something like Sauve Coconut from the ear lobes down. Wash the top of your hair and when you rinse, the shampoo will wash through the ends removing the conditioner that protected your hair from the shampoo...Think how many time the bottom of your hair has been washed
2) When your not going anywhere for the weekend, use olive or carrot oil to oil your hair from lobes down and leave in for a day...does wonders!
3) I trim my hair only by the moon...people can laugh all they want, but every person I have ever recommended this to and they have tried it...are amazed at how much faster their hair grows!

anything and everything you need to know about hair...
forums.longhaircommunity.com...

EDIT...
*NO..never towel hair dry...:::shivers:::
*I sleep with my hair in three hair safe bands on at the nape of my neck, one in the middle and one at the end
* "Conditioner only hair wash" COW....does wonders for the hair...I do it about once a week....

[edit on 1/2/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Interesting advice LadyV! So you suggest I condtion the bottom half - leave that in - then shampoo the top half and rinse....That sounds pretty smart...

So if you don't towel dry your hair, do you just let it air-dry or do you blow dry it? I've heard it's best to use cool air if you blow dry....

I actually sleep with my hair in a ponytail too...I use the ones without the metal in them...I don't think it's long enough yet to put more than one in though unless I used a smaller one...

I wash my hair once a day (shampoo and condition)....some people say that's too much, but if I don't, my hair gets really oily....so you say that the condtioner only method works pretty well, but you only do it once a week? Do you do all of your hair or just the bottom half when you do that?

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I towel wrap it...and let sit for a bit...wet hair wrapped is moisture! When I take the towel off, I ad Paul Mitchell's, "The Cream" leave in conditioner and then comb out with an extremely wide tooth comb and let air dry....I rarely blow dry and if I do have to NEVER blow dry it all the way...you have to find the products that's right for your hair type...check out the site I listed....it's all there. Hair typing, products etc...it's a great site.

EDIT...
*I oil the bottom..lobes down
*I wash my hair twice a week....

[edit on 1/2/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Wow...It's gonna take me quite a while to go through all of the excellent info on that site...Thanks for the link and your advice though

I do have one quick question I didn't see the answer to...maybe I skimmed over it...but it mentions "typing" your hair...once you have it typed, where do you go to find the suitable products for that specific type?

[edit on 1/2/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I was my hair about 3 times a week, shampoo and conditioner. I'm using L'Oreal Shampoo and Conditioner at the moment. I wash right away then leave the conditioner on for a few minutes. Otherwise I'll use a homemade shampoo with various oils in it for moisture.

There are a lot of chemicals in commercially availible shampoos that dry terribly.

I never, ever blow dry my hair. And as LadyV said, if you do, don't dry it the whole way.

I normally sleep with it in a pony tail, as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Once you have your hair type...there's a lot of info there for products and such. I'm off work on Mon. & Tues.... and I will find the info and get it to you. Another thing, don't put as much conditioner on the top of your head, as you do the bottom....there are natural oils in the hair on the top...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Alright....I'm sure many of my male companions here on ATS have felt a loss in my machismo from posting this thread

You big girly girl

I have similar problem with my hair, when i wake up in the morning the hair at the back of my head sticks up so i use water to flaten it but then during the day my hair goes all....yuck

I used to have really short hair but i've grown it quite abit and it now goes dry and tangled, i'll have to try out some of the suggestions from LadyV

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
You big girly girl

Who?? ME?!?!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Run away

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
lmao....

Originally posted by LadyV
Once you have your hair type...there's a lot of info there for products and such. I'm off work on Mon. & Tues.... and I will find the info and get it to you. Another thing, don't put as much conditioner on the top of your head, as you do the bottom....there are natural oils in the hair on the top...

I've typed my hair as the following...

2a N ii

I want to give the conditioner-only thing a try again - I've done it before, but it got really oily at the end of the day - That site says its b/c my scalp wasn't trained to produce the appropriate amount of oils yet...

Originally posted by parhesia
I'm using L'Oreal Shampoo and Conditioner at the moment.

I've never used that...so there are less chemicals in their serums?

I was also reading its a good idea to dilute your shampoo and to buy it from a health food store....

Of course, the same guy suggested I make several gallons of floral tea water and only rinse my hair with that as opposed to tap water.....yeah....okay.....I'll do that right after I churn my butter and give Martha a call....

[edit on 1/3/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Washing your hair in a mixture of pixy stix and cider will have the following result:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by parhesia
I'm using L'Oreal Shampoo and Conditioner at the moment.

I've never used that...so there are less chemicals in their serums?

No, L'Oreal has the same chemicals as most commercial brands, I just like how my hair is when I use it.

As for the chemicals I mentioned, most shampoos contain about 50% sodium lauryl sulfate (there are variations on the name if you wanted to check your labels, sometimes its laureth sulfate), then maybe about 2-5% sodium stearate and then the rest is H20, and some other chemical detergents, as well as formaldehyde for preservation.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a surfectant, which means it helps the shampoo spread and penetrate over and into the hair and has also been found to increase absorption of other chemicals present in the shampoo (preservatives, colors, fragrances, etc.) Also, it's been found to be able to damage the outer layer of the skin resulting in dryness, roughness, loss of flexibility, etc.

SLS was also shown to have degenerative effects on cell membranes due to its protein denaturing properties and in concentrations as low as 10% corneal damage is found in eyes of test subjects (rabbits). At 15% studies cited depression, laboured breathing diarhea, and death in 4 out of 20 animals. (J Am Coll Toxicologyl 2(7); 1983)

There are alternatives to SLS availible, it's just they can cost up to 10 times more as SLS. You'd think those expensive salon products would contain these other ingredients, but they dn't. You get the same cheap ingredients as the lower priced products. Funny, ain't it?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Long hair here too,

I have a prob with a little frizz to lol, i find after shampooing pour some vineger over your hair before you rince, i do this about once every 2 weeks it makes your hair shine shine shine

Also some for a deep condition mayo and cling film, put some mayo over your hair wrap it up in the cling film for 10 mins then wash out...

Also wash your hair on a full moon it gives great moister also good to apply moisture to your face on a full moon also as it sinks in deeper,

also invest in a good hair brush! that can make a whole lot of difference, i tend to use a paddle brush,

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Long hair here too,

I have a prob with a little frizz to lol, i find after shampooing pour some vineger over your hair before you rince, i do this about once every 2 weeks it makes your hair shine shine shine

Also some for a deep condition mayo and cling film, put some mayo over your hair wrap it up in the cling film for 10 mins then wash out...

Also wash your hair on a full moon it gives great moister also good to apply moisture to your face on a full moon also as it sinks in deeper,

also invest in a good hair brush! that can make a whole lot of difference, i tend to use a paddle brush,

How can Minnie Mouse give advice on hair? and minnie doesnt have long hair o.o. LIES

But I have short red dyed hair...I just put in some moisturizing stuff...its what my mom tells me to do...

Plus I found out that if you fall asleep with wet hair it gives it a greasy look >_<

here is a DONT DO! for you hair -

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Awesome advice everyone...

I figured I'd give a little update, for those just dying to know...lol

Well....I slapped some mayo on my hair and let it sit for about 15 minutes - Almost slipped in the shower...but it really helped to mend some of my frizzy ends...

I started using what I think is called the CWC method....I condtion the ends, shampoo the scalp, then rinse...then I condtion the ends and apply just a small bit to my scalp and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse....

WOW! My hair looks 10 times better already after just a few days of doing this....and I havn't even gotten my ends trimmed yet....

Today I got paid, so I splurged....I went to our local organic market and picked up some shea butter conditioner, tea tree condtitioner, glycogen proetin balancing conditioner and some hemp mosturizing shampoo....A dentagnling comb for the shower, a boar's bristle padded brush and a good comb....

I'm set....I told ya'll I was serious about this #...lol

Thanks for the link LadyV - that helped tons...And thanks everyone for the advice....

Those with any problems with their long hair would benefit from reading the tips and tricks in this thread

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Enron Dude, heres what you need!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
www.bulldot.../media/ShampooTVC.mpg.mpg

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
LMFAO!!!

Those are hilarious instar! Except, instead of the ebonics shampoo...I'd need some redneck shampoo...

Emgreedyants:
Whater, Beehr Whater (xtract of budweizer inacahn), dohrittos, andabuncha ohthir#...

[edit on 1/8/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join