It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Football Coach to Defy School District Order to not Pray after Game

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: Isurrender73

Can you add some proof to those numbers, cause i can write anything it dosent make it fact.

Prayer is a personal thing between a person and there god, thats about it.

"84 percent of the world population has faith; a third are Christian

m.washingtontimes.com...

I could be mistaken, but I have never met anyone who claims to have faith in God but not prayer.

There are personal prayers, and there are pregame prayers. Have you ever taken part in a pregame prayer?

A pregame prayer is more about goodwill, safety and giving a good effort then anything specifically relating to God. At least from my experience.

edit on 17-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CB328

So you want to force people to express themselves in designated areas of your choosing?

No. He wants to keep religion out of public schools, and keep teachers from pushing their beliefs onto students.

Unless of course it's Islam, in which case opposing it would be Islamophobic.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
the teacher invoking her god in prayer in the classroom expecting her students to participate did happen, it's the topic of another thread.
I was just trying to get you to see that a line has to be drawn somewhere, or else, we will have chaos. I don't think any of the founding fathers could have imagined the america we have today.
as far as the coach praying at the 50 yard line, I really have made a judgement as of yet. isn't enough information really.
there's some on both sides of this issue getting a tad bit wacky in my opinion.
I mean, to be honest, in my view the freedom of religion part of the constitution wouldn't allow for the gov't to deem one's person's belief that they should pray as more deserving of protection than the other's person's belief that they should behead the infidel...they are both very real religious beliefs to the one's believing them. and yet, there's no way our gov't is gonna allow people to be beheaded based on any religious belief. obviously, there is a line drawn in the sand, and it has nothing to do with beliefs, but rather protecting other's rights, even from religious beliefs when necessary.

and at least some seem to think that their relgious beliefs should allow them to trample down other people's rights.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
So, according to the article, the coach preys at the 50 yd line at the end of a game. He does not require anyone else to participate.

It seems to me that it is within his rights in a free country to do that.

If he required his players or anyone else to prey that would violate others rights.

No where does the constitution guarantee that you won't see someone else practice their religion.

If that field is school grounds (govt property) then it should not be allowed. Just like it is not allowed in a classroom, or a school courtyard. If it was allowed on the 50 yard line, it could arguably be allowed on any school grounds.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Klassified

So you want to force people to express themselves in designated areas of your choosing?

No. He wants to keep religion out of public schools, and keep teachers from pushing their beliefs onto students.

Unless of course it's Islam, in which case opposing it would be Islamophobic.

That day may come. And I treat it no differently.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Churches exist everywhere and they are the place to pray. Whoever your version of god is.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
Churches exist everywhere and they are the place to pray. Whoever your version of god is.

why are so many so bent on telling people where to express themselves? What ever happened to freedom of expression?

Really. It's thoughts like this that disturb me because it's becoming so mainstream.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
so, what's is the motivation for christians to gather at the 50 yd line of a school football field to kneel and pray? I am kind of curious to know... I mean, it seems to me that prayer should be you sending a message to god, and him replying back to you, but this I don't know, I kind of think might be more about sending a message out to the world than it is having a chat with God?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Who cares! Do they really need to justify it to anyone? Why would a druid paint themselves blue and dance around a tree at midnight? If they aren't infringing on anyone else's rights, then they should be free to pray anyway they want!

Man! What's next? Someone telling me what I can say in public?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Many players went to the locker room and did not participate during all these 'sessions,' so I don't really think you can make a case that they were "compelled" to join in since so many did not.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know those details.

I remember my days in hi school football. The coach prayed at the beginning of each practice, before games and halftime. It was always, "Gather round, lets bow our heads, blahblah, readyyyyy Break! You didn't not go along.

Times have changed.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

do druids paint themselves blue and dance around a tree at midnight??
When we were going to church, a group of us had a habit of going out to one or another restaurant after church service to eat. Well one guy as soon as he walked in the door would become quite loud, singing or praising god. and, everyone sitting around us would have to listen throughout our meal the religious discussion that he would encourage, quite loudly. I asked the same question about his motives. Reckon, do you really think what he was doing was lifting God up in any way, or was it just annoying those around him? No one can answer my question about the coach's motivations, but well, christ did say a few things about those who pray for the purpose of sending a message to the observers around them...
so, maybe the coach should care about his motivations?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Being annoying about religion in public is still allowed. Being annoying about anything is still allowed. Or is "offending" someone now against the law?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
no you can offend anyone you wish I suppose, just don't expect me to buy cries of "persecution" when the people start griping about the annoying behavior.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

If church and state are separate then how come you have to swear on a Bible in court.
And if a person wants to pray they do have the right to pray anywhere .
It would only be wrong if you force some one to pray that does not want to.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
no you can offend anyone you wish I suppose, just don't expect me to buy cries of "persecution" when the people start griping about the annoying behavior.

Annoying behavior? How about annoying religious folks, annoying atheists, annoying republicans, annoying democrats, annoying vegans. . .

America has become the nation of Butt Hurt. If it bothers you, then ban it. Seems to be the attitude these days. Such thin skin and weak people!

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Honestly attacking prayer is probably the worst example of atheism.

Atheism? Does not mean anti-theism.

So you want to blame atheists for this religious guy breaking the law.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You just want religion being expressed behind closed doors? Hidden away from the public?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

You just want religion being expressed behind closed doors? Hidden away from the public?

Separation of church and state only applies to government. Such as public school.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777

If church and state are separate then how come you have to swear on a Bible in court.

You don't.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I guess he chose God over the kids. Typical self righteous.

He knows the rules now. And if he forgets that he’s a coach because he’s too busy acting like a pastor, then he won’t get to work with these kids anymore. Hopefully, that potential loss is enough to force him to do the right thing.

Like I said before, Kennedy doesn’t need to lead the prayers. The students can do it on their own. From what I hear, God doesn’t need an adult to translate the prayers of teenagers.

www.patheos.com...
edi t on 17-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join