It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Football Coach to Defy School District Order to not Pray after Game

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Your all over the place there bud, i dont dictate anyones life, but hey keep up the made up outrage, someone might understand you, but i dont.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Your all over the place there bud, i dont dictate anyones life, but hey keep up the made up outrage, someone might understand you, but i dont.

Sorry. I thought you said they should just pray in their homes or churches. Maybe I read it wrong.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Thats where religion is suposed to be preached, read the bible i dont believe in god but at least i understand why they exist.

So again do you have a point or where just going around in circles.

The bible teaches to close your door and pray to your father, it dosent say pray in public now does it.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

I think there is also proof that it's quite natural for man to attribute the unexplained (which in early times there many things that were a mystery to mankind), with some powerful unseen force....like a god, a demon, a giant turtle or alligator, whatever.... as science, knowledge and logic explain away the unknown, we seem to not need those unseen forces less, but well, we still have our angels, our aliens, our ghosts, and what not, don't we?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Nope, behing gay is not some super natural magic, so plz stop it with your terrible analogies.

It's not really a terrible analogy. The issue here is what the culture thinks is reasonable, and that definition is in a constant state of flux. Right now, today, the prevailing Group Think is that LGBT issues are all Okay. You're born Gay and it's not a choice, and if you don't agree with this, then you are a homophobe, which means you FEAR homosexuals. With regards to Christianity, if you profess it, you are dealing in mythology and are delusional, but if you are an atheist, then that's cool. You must be smart. And if you are "offended" at this or that, it's a badge to wear to get people to conform to what you want.

Contrast this Group Think to the Group Think of a few decades ago. That was when the liberal view on LGBT was that they were sick and might need therapy to get better, and reciting the pledge of allegiance, including "under God," was a given. Indeed, we have a "National Cathedral" in Washington, D.C. and church services were once regularly held in the National Capitol. And if you were "offended" you were told to get a life.

Our Group Think, otherwise known as what is "Politically Correct" has changed. We spin the exact same words that were used a couple hundred years ago, in new ways that reflect our current biases, splitting hairs and re-defining what this and such means to suit the conclusions we want to reach.

This is the same issue. We have people here who are offended at the mention of the word "God." They want all of us to pretend to be atheists when we walk on public property, and that's what separation of church and state means to them. But just look at what the first amendment actually says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's actually almost opposite of what we have been discussing here. Congress shall NOT PROHIBIT THE FREE EXERCISE of religion. But that's exactly what many are doing here now, advocating that the free exercise of religion be suppressed why? Because it's on school property, and public schools are paid for by tax dollars, therefore they are a part of government.

But where did this idea come from? It wasn't until 1947 that a Supreme Court decision looked to the writings of Thomas Jefferson where he said there ought to be a "wall of separation between church and state" that this idea came to the forefront. So because Thomas Jefferson wrote about it in this way, that must be how the 1st amendment was meant.

This was a 5-4 decision that has been contested ever since. In fact, if you want to read up on how gnarly this is, take a look at this paper which discusses the continuing controversy over the "Establishment Clause" and how it has been interpreted.

So this whole issue is not as black and white as some of you folks think, and all we would need is another 5-4 decision to turn it upside down.
edit on 10/17/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Can you bring this proof of yours up front, my kids still believe in santa claus like millions of other children, theres no proof he exist, does that mean that there is a real santa claus.

Same for religion my friend, no proof sorry its all magical.

link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yes it is one is natural the other is made up fantasy.

Nice try do

If that coach would have been a muslim, or a satanist you guys would be outraged.

Cant have it both ways bud.
edit on 17-10-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Thats where religion is suposed to be preached, read the bible i dont believe in god but at least i understand why they exist.

So again do you have a point or where just going around in circles.

The bible teaches to close your door and pray to your father, it dosent say pray in public now does it.

I'm not religious. And I won't tell a religious person how to interpret their religion. I think everyone should be free to express themselves where ever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

Let the man pray.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

so a christian teacher can invoke her God in a group prayer with all her students expected to participate, while the radical islamist sitting in the back row beheads the skimpy dressed girl sitting in front of him because she's an infidel?? after all they are both expressing their religious beliefs aren't they?
our public school systems now have a myriad of religions represented within them. and one thing is for sure, that little tid bit in the constitution prohibits the gov't, and that includes the school system from exalting any one of those religious above the other. you can't give one free reign without giving the others the same freedom so maybe it's better if we just keep religion out of the schools??

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I don't need to prove that a god actually exists, just that since the beginning of time, man seems to have been naturally drawn to attribute what he didn't understand to some unknown force...which I think is quite evident! early man was naturally superstitious, still is in some ways.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Honestly attacking prayer is probably the worst example of atheism.

Prayer before a game is far from preaching, to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Prayer is positive reinforcement, nothing more. And over 84% of the world believes in prayer. The other 16% can agree with positive reinforcement even if they don't think a God is listening.

edit on 17-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

When lightning hits, i dont pray to thor or odin, i just understand where lightning comes from, its not natural, you arent born religious, you need to be told about god to believe in him.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Can you add some proof to those numbers, cause i can write anything it dosent make it fact.

Prayer is a personal thing between a person and there god, thats about it.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
What's the problem of letting the coach and any players choosing to participate pray after the game. My local school district teams both gather together after the game and take a knee. No big deal.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Yes it is one is natural the other is made up fantasy. Nice try do

If that coach would have been a muslim, or a satanist you guys would be outraged. Cant have it both ways bud.

You are jumping to unwarranted conclusions about what I think and misinterpreting what I said. And we're just supposed to accept whatever you think about these subjects as 'gospel.' Being Gay is "natural" because you say so, not because it's backed up by any research. And, of course, you're indulging in the current idea that all religion is bunk. That's precisely what I mean about people indulging themselves in the current Group Think. You are simply reflecting the current one and being rather simplistic in your conclusions. You're not thinking about the issue here; you're just reacting--predictably.

Now, where did this "muslim, satanist" issue come from? And why do you think that "you guys" would be outraged? I certainly never brought those issues up. Indeed, you MADE them up on the spot because you believe that somehow, what I've been saying is a Christian point of view, then you leap to your conclusion that "I" can't have it both ways?

Well, I'm not trying to. If you actually read what I wrote with an unbiased mind you could see that. Because guess what? I'm not a Christian and never have been and I believe personally that religion as commonly practiced is complete fantasy, including the efficacy of prayer. It's all complete nonsense and I don't believe a word of it.

Now, where did this fantasy of yours come from? You are being as "homophobic" about Christianity and religion as any true homophobe is about gays. You remind me of a homophobic parent who is so frightened about homosexuality that he can't stand to see two men walking down the street holding hands in public and is offended. Except this time you are so frightened of Christianity that you can't stand to see someone praying in public and are offended.

There's not much difference between the two, and the emotion shown here shows that. If you easily condemn others for being "homophobic," then perhaps you ought to examine your own "Christian-phobic" beliefs in the same light. You might start by reading the reference I gave you above so that you can properly understand that your ideas about separation of church and state are based on recent history, rather the opposite of what the Constitution actually says, and are on pretty shaky ground.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

there's not many people who do pray to thor or odin anymore is there? or attribute thunder to the angels upstairs bowling? (had some friends when I was a kid who would tell me that one. but I highly doubt if they thought that after they learned in school just how thunder was created.
you said it yourself, you don't believe a mythical god sent the lightning at you because you understand where it came from.....
at the time when thor's hammer was the most popular belief as to what was causing the lightning, they didn't have the same understanding as you do... it was one of many unknowns that they wanted an answer to and so, well invented one for. the worship of gods goes back a very long time, is common in every area of the globe, and well, I am more apt to believe that it was a natural urge for people to want an answer to the many questions that they didn't have our scientific explanation for and well, they did it the best they could, by inventing unseen forces that caused things to happen, than I am to accept that somehow, some super evil person traveled throughout the world imbedding the idea that these forces existed.

but, ya know what, you not believing in a god is a belief, that is also protected in the constitution. but well we all have a responsibility to preserve that constitution, and that means that you have to grant those who wish to believe in their god the right to believe! that is what freedom of religion is about....each of us, being free to believe whatever we want...without being harassed, taxed, made into a criminal, or shunned by the gov't because of that belief.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
To the O.P. Separation of Church and State does not dictate that nobody is allowed to observe their faith on a Public or Government site. This was not written to force people to abstain from their faith. If you feel so strongly about your views how can you try to convince someone to not feel an equal amount conviction towards theirs? I'm am tired of hearing people complain about separation of Church and State and freedom of religion. At least be honest and stop hiding behind your interpretation if the law. Just openly admit your opinion and views are that you want separation and freedom from religion. How do you know that every member of that team is not willingly praying, and praying for every member of both teams to remain safe? If they are, really who is that actually hurting? Stop being so damn cynical and remember we are all members of the human race. Part of what makes America great is the freedom to express ones opinion. You have yours and others have theirs. Respect it and move on. If you want to actually make a difference run for office and work to change things, but remember the masses do not share your views. Most people have faith in something. You my friend are in the minority, like it or not.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

So your saying that if this coach was a muslim and he started praying after the game youd be all over defending him right.

And whos the hypocrite here.

Damn those commie loving muslim lol.

Thanks for the laughs

actually yes I would defend him

Nice assumption though, cant say im surprised in the least, you seem to do that regularly to people you dont agree with
edit on 10/17/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

so a christian teacher can invoke her God in a group prayer with all her students expected to participate, while the radical islamist sitting in the back row beheads the skimpy dressed girl sitting in front of him because she's an infidel?? after all they are both expressing their religious beliefs aren't they?

You're not being factual. One non-teacher praying by himself where students asked if they could participate voluntarily is qualitatively different from a Christian teacher invoking God in a group prayer with all her students expected to participate. Do you not understand the difference here? NOBODY was "expected to participate" and you know what? Most did not. If you look at the pictures (and nobody here has, right?) you would see that the 50 yard line is not exactly overflowing with participants.

And WHERE are you guys getting a radical Muslim BEHEADING a skimpy dressed girl in front of him in the back row????

WHAT THE HELL??????? You are seriously equating beheading someone at a football game with a moment of prayer?????

This is the stupidist thing I have ever heard! If you want to compare the Spanish Inquisition to Muslim beheadings, let's talk, but to equate beheadings with a moment of silent prayer is simply ridiculous. You ought to be ashamed. This is stupid beyond words.

edit on 10/17/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join