It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Parents Protest The Enrollment Of Gay Couples Children In Church School

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Parents and parishioners in Orange County, California are upset that Roman Catholic diocese is allowing a gay couple's sons to attend a church school. They state that by allowing the enrollment in St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa, the diocese is violating church doctrine. The diocese responded to the complaint by pointing out that if church doctrine was strictly enforced, parents who were divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be barred.

story.news.yahoo.com
COSTA MESA, Calif. - Some parents and parishioners have accused the Roman Catholic diocese in Orange County of violating church doctrine by allowing a gay couple to enroll their children in a church school.

The group demanded that St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa accept only families that pledge to abide by Catholic teachings, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday's editions. Church doctrine opposes gay relationships and adoption by same-sex couples.

"The teachings of the church seem to have been abandoned," John R. Nixon told the Times. "We send our children to a Catholic school because we expect and demand that the teachings of our church will be adhered to."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I doubt highly that the diocese would expel divorced parents and the like. What this basically boils down to is this: Can the church discriminate against these two boys? Opponent of this say that this is part of a homosexual agenda to infiltrate the church. However, the children are entitled to an education, and these parents have chose what in all likelihood is the best school in their area? Parents should just get over it and concentrate on raising their own families.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Why should the children be punished for their parents sexuality?

The people should focus on their own lives and spend less time condemning the lives of others.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is unbelievable. Obviously, the gay parents are looking for a certain type or education for their sons. If they are willing to conform to the standards of the Catolic school and are willing to pay the tuition, why should they be bothered?

Last I checked, you don't even have to be Catholic to attend Catholic schools.
Really nice example of Christianity, St. John the Baptist parishioners!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Peaceful, loving, tolerant people aren't they! They should be ashamed of themselves! I have never understood this mentality....it's along the same lines as hurting an animal because your mad at the owners...how stupid and moronic can you be!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh, for the love of......

I'm glad the comment from the church was they'd also have to boot out all the other dysfunctional sinners of the church

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Whoa, all this tell you how tolerant our churches goers really are, and how one "God" does not fit all. Incredible.

I remember that Jesus told his disciples in the bible, "let the littler children come to me, because to enter the kingdom of God you have to be like them"

I guess these Parishioners have not been reading the bible lately.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Tsk, tsk- so much vitrol

The 'normal' parents have rights too folks. You want your child in school with children from a homosexual union/marrige- take them to St. %$#@ the divine.

The 'normal' parents have every right to expect the church to abide by some type of standards. If the church won't then they (normal parents) should take their kids somewhere that will.

This is NOT public school.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Joe, the answer by the church was:

. The diocese responded to the complaint by pointing out that if church doctrine was strictly enforced, parents who were divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be barred.
They are correct.

Lord only knows the skeletons in the (normal parents) closets

hypocrates.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The diocese responded to the complaint by pointing out that if church doctrine was strictly enforced, parents who were divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be barred.

Hehe...ouch!
That's tellin' 'em!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

The 'normal' parents have rights too folks. You want your child in school with children from a homosexual union/marrige- take them to St. %$#@ the divine.

The 'normal' parents have every right to expect the church to abide by some type of standards. If the church won't then they (normal parents) should take their kids somewhere that will.

Sure, they have rights.
But can they rightly ask that heterosexual students not be in attendence?
These kids can't help their parents sexual orientation.

If anything, they should look at as a positive thing. Grab the kids and indoctrinate them on the evils of homosexuality.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What does the Rev. Gerald H. Moran, Superintendant of Diocese Schools have to say on the matter:

if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.

"This is the quagmire that the parents' position represents," he said. "It's a slippery slope to go down."

Some people are idiots, I'll give you that. This is no different from the hundreds of other cases of idiots trying to push some sort of intolerant agenda on schools - that aren't private or Christian based. And the usual amount of some in a case like this is a small handful. Six to ten couples/parents I imagine. When I was in highschool I was involved in student government and attended many School Board meetings. The vocal minority with the threat of some sort of monetary damages rules the day. Without exception. St. John the Baptist School has 603 students enrolled. That's a lot of parents that probably have no objections what-so-ever.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'd bet my bottom dollar that the homosexual parents are far better people than the arseholes making the complaint. I'm getting really sick of religous folk who don't mind their own business. While I don't condone homosexuality cause it's pretty sick in my opinion but I mind my own business.... these religous folk are far far worse.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by I See You]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
What does the Rev. Gerald H. Moran, Superintendant of Diocese Schools have to say on the matter:

Pistol, that the best part of the article and I aluded to it in my write up. I beleved that the term he used was "slippery slope" Wonder how many good god fearing people would have to pull thier kids out?

Don't throw stones (in this case homophobia) in a glass house

[edit on 1/2/05 by FredT]

[edit on 1/2/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

I'll second that! Just because the homos have money to put their adopted kids in an exclusive school doesn't mean they should have the right to do so!

Originally posted by parrhesia
If anything, they should look at as a positive thing. Grab the kids and indoctrinate them on the evils of homosexuality.

That should go for every child that is adopted by these degenerates of society!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Most know the current pope is not an evil man, though numerous who run the Catholic church under him are. It is the folly of mankind when these things come to -light-, a pope that would not have things like this symbolize the churchs views is too physically weak to show condemnation towards closed minds. There is no sense in waiting for valatility to ocurr when something like this can stir up via hate bred by fear, bred by being sheeple. What construction can come from closing your mind to the possibility someone who prefers intimacy with someone else of the same sex can't be just like you in every other way of life. Any church has no more of a right to tell someone they can't study there if that church accepts the right of being certified as an institution by a government that accepts everyone. The church shouldv'e taken over the goverment if they wanted to have that right. Yes I know, that's a loaded answer; but the pieces of democracy that still work in America prove that point. Those who would deny a person their right to live life as it is offered give life a false sense of "boring" when viewed by those who hear of "enlightenment" within their gathering.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

And what exactly are you basing this adoption of ignorance upon? Please show me the statitstics that say the same sex parents are unfit?

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by existence
Most know the current pope is not an evil man, though numerous who run the Catholic church under him are.
The pope, well thats a whole 'nother thread

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

I was being sarcastic.

Let's, for a minute, forget about the rights of the parents. What about the rights of the children? Let's assume they're heterosexual and not going against church dictates (anymore than are people who divorce, use birth control, etc.). Why should they, children who are not homosexual, be barred from attending a church school?

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The pope, well thats a whole 'nother thread

Birth controll is a sin, go forth and multiply. Ooooops forgot about that AIDS thing did we??? Yes, the Pope

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Fred, on a side note- I commend you on your choice of news flashes

...seriously, you do a great job keeping us posted as to the very latest. I look forward to your posts

Thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join