It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Star Wars’ Wants Female Directors for the Franchise, Says Kathleen Kennedy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

They always seem to forget that she choked a Hutt with that chain they like to imagine her in.

I actually imagine her in the slave outfit.

And out of it too.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Great, just what Star Wars needs, more fluffy stuff.

What it really needs is more splattered Storm Trooper brains and less # ing Jar Jar.

edit on 17-10-2015 by RogueWave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You misogynist, you.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You misogynist, you.

I am.

It came down to dressing girlfriends up in that outfit or the green chick from Star Trek but the paint kept coming off on me.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

They always seem to forget that she choked a Hutt with that chain they like to imagine her in.

Exactly - how is this seriously even a problem?

Princess Leia may be wilful, but is she still just a damsel in distress waiting for the hero? The portrayal of gender roles in the film Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope deserves a closer look, as the Princess Leia is not the traditional naive girl from Alderon that we often take her for.

I have a very hard time separating the character Leia from Carrie Fisher - which is probably why she was cast in that role - she is smart and incredibly funny

But anyway - the idea that women don't like this franchise - or science fiction - or action/adventure...

Ridiculous

edit on 10/17/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ill tell you how things work...

I sincerely doubt it. You have gone on a sexist rant and really have no point to be made, except that, for some unknown reason, you don't think a woman would be adequate as a director of a Star Wars film. I guess because her vagina would get in the way or because monkeys like to play with dolls.

i have a problem with the franchise and a female director.

Yeah, that's called sexism.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I guess because her vagina would get in the way or because monkeys like to play with dolls.

I cannot believe you put two of my favorites things in one sentence. Add beer in there somehow and it is a trifecta.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Monkeys, beer and dolls, got it.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: RogueWave
...dolls...

Yup. Especially if they are inflatable.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

I only watch movies made by gender neutral directors.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

...or the green chick from Star Trek but the paint kept coming off on me.

I keep thinking about how much work that is...

:-)

Never mind - too much to say about that - better left unsaid

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
I keep thinking about how much work that is...

I know. Sometimes I almost felt bad.

Good thing I was not really too into Klingon women, the prosthetics looked daunting to apply.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Ridiculous

Yes and I guess I'm having a little trouble absorbing exactly how ridiculous it is. I guess because I'm such a Star Wars fangirl

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I guess because I'm such a Star Wars fangirl

Slave costume pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The reaction to this is hilarious. I wonder if any of these cry-babies were equally outraged when women who were great directors were passed over for decades just because they were women.

Read the next part carefully...

That isn't to say that women (whatever non-white, non-male group) should be handed things because of that... and that's not (as BH pointed out) the case here. All that was said was "Kennedy would love to find the right female director"

the right one

Not: "We're only hiring a woman"

Stop acting like children.

The "right female director" does not equate to the "right director". That's what fans are against. They just don't want the franchise messed with. If that is an example of people acting like children, you need to try going outside.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I cannot believe you put two of my favorites things in one sentence. Add beer in there somehow and it is a trifecta.

Hey, you should know, we're on the same wavelength!

I don't know if Kali has ever dressed as a Star Wars character, but I'd like to see pics of that, too...

I could take a picture of our Star Wars, Star Trek, and Stargate, DVD collections. Not to mention all the Scifi movie DVDs. We're both pretty nerdy and watch them a LOT. Not as "interesting" as Kali dressed up, I'm sure, but it would prove that I, too, am a Star Wars fangirl.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am a huge Star Wars fan. I do not care what the gender of any of the future directors is. The only thing I care about is if they are a half decent director.

With big franchises like this, that are controlled by behind the scenes story groups, to keep the brand consistent and canonical over multiple films, books, television shows, cartoons, and comics. The director just needs to be decent. Because no matter who the director is, The Lucasfilms story group is ultimately in control.

The head of Lucasfilms is Kathleen Kennedy. So a woman is already in control of Star Wars. She has final say on everything. Just like Kevin Feige has final say on everything Marvel Studios does for the same reasons. To keep everything consistent and canonical. Kevin Feige is Marvel Studios. Kathleen Kennedy is Lucasfilms.

So the OP is mad about something that has already happened.

Anyways, personally I am interested in seeing a female directors take on the Star Wars universe in one of the anthology films. The anthology films are going to be the Star Wars films where the directors vision matters more. The anthology films are where we are going to see more unique takes on the property, at least compared to the numbered films.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The "right female director" does not equate to the "right director".

Why can't it? Again no words to the effect of they were looking exclusively for a female director just that they would love to find one.

Fans are against? Or just the ones that see evil, SJWs lurking in every corner? Because I'm a fan, now I don't really care if a man or woman directs as long as it's good but it's so funny to me how it's such a main gripe with, what is it 3rd wave feminism... that anti-SJW crusaders go scouring the internet for every little scrap of anything they can bash feminism with and turn perfectly innocent things into crises such as this. Much like an over-zealous feminist goes pointing accusatory fingers at sexism where it just isn't so. You lot are no different.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Alright... I'm telling both of your spouses! LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Hey, you should know, we're on the same wavelength!

I owe you a beer.

I don't know if Kali has ever dressed as a Star Wars character, but I'd like to see pics of that, too...

Maybe we can petition her to make this her Halloween costume since it is right around the corner.

I could take a picture of our Star Wars, Star Trek, and Stargate, DVD collections. Not to mention all the Scifi movie DVDs. We're both pretty nerdy and watch them a LOT. Not as "interesting" as Kali dressed up, I'm sure, but it would prove that I, too, am a Star Wars fangirl.

One of the reasons my wife and I get along so well is she likes many of the same things I do including Star Wars and Monty Python. We just found out our good friend's husband has never seen any of the films so in anticipation of talking him to the movies to see Episode VII we are going to have a marathon prior to the release.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join