It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Star Wars’ Wants Female Directors for the Franchise, Says Kathleen Kennedy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Kathleen Kennedy, the president of Lucasfilm, hopes to appoint a female director to a “Star Wars” film in the future.

Kennedy made an appearance at the Fortune Most Powerful Women Summit in Washington, and discussed the possibility of a female helmer with The Guardian.

“There’s nothing we’d like more than to find a female director for ‘Star Wars’,” she said. “There is an assumption made that the people involved should predominantly be men. There are women who are ‘Star Wars’ fans. That’s what’s so insane.”

Im not sure about this, i mean.. Most of the problem today is that people tend to end up in the wrong places.. I believe in nurturing talent, man or woman doesnt matter.. Cause no one will see who the director is, and frankly a very few cares.. However the protagonist, is of importance..

Please Hollywood, its enough.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Just because you want something does not make it right.....
You can force a square peg in a round hole with enough force, but it is not a proper fit.
If they find one (female) great, but it could mean disaster if not a proper fit....

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

Let's just keep pushing that feminazi quota BS like the bad drug that it is. The best person for the job is the best person for the job. If they push a woman in for the sake of quotas or trying to make a point, as much as I like star wars, I hope it flops, so that it makes an equally relevant point.

Better still, use a male and female director and allow them to pick their own frames, see which sells the best. Hell, why not get some LGBTQ directors and let quotas dictate all the directing lol. Stupid pc humans....

2015... The year that skin was so thin you could see right through it and almost everyone was offended by everything.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

A. Where's your source???

www.sbs.com.au...

B. You've ignored the bulk of the article for one snippet.

While the directors for the next installments to the main saga have already been found -- J.J. Abrams for Episode VII, Rian Johnson for Episode VIII and Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX -- Kennedy would love to find the right female director for one of the Star Wars spin-off films.

So, she'd love to have a woman for a spin-off... SO WHAT? I just don't get people these days. "Feminazi", blah, blah, blah...

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yepp, more feel god ra-ra. This is entirely a maneuver by Disney to *appear* sympathetic to the social-cause du jour.

I am SICK and damned tired of this. This is nothing more than affirmative action.

I am also sick, as a white middle aged male, being told how I am screwing over anyone that isn't white, male, or middle aged.

If I were in charge of hiring a director, I'd hire the best PERSON.

Dangly bits, skin color, belief...just doesn't matter.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well, Kathryn Bigelow made some kick ass war movies recently and I am pretty sure she never saw a second of combat. If someone can make an entertaining Star Wars film I will pay to see it. Hell, Jar Jar Effing Binks was a Lucas creation, she could not do any worse than that.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The reaction to this is hilarious. I wonder if any of these cry-babies were equally outraged when women who were great directors were passed over for decades just because they were women.

Read the next part carefully...

That isn't to say that women (whatever non-white, non-male group) should be handed things because of that... and that's not (as BH pointed out) the case here. All that was said was "Kennedy would love to find the right female director"

the right one

Not: "We're only hiring a woman"

Stop acting like children.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ill tell you how things work, im from Sweden, equality means something here without extremism..

And ill tell you how things work..

First you get your self a scriptwriter, since this is already planned, the script will clearly be biased on ideals..
When you write the script you turn to mythology and pick one of the thousands of stories and change the scenarios, and characters.. You make a protagonist and a antagonist, and place ideals based on feminism.. So the protagonist is a female..

Now you come to franchise which is built on four cardinal virtues:

Prudence (φρόνησις, phronēsis): also described as wisdom, the ability to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time.

Justice (δικαιοσύνη, dikaiosynē): also considered as fairness, the most extensive and most important virtue.[1]

Temperance (σωφροσύνη, sōphrosynē): also known as restraint, the practice of self-control, abstention, and moderation tempering the appetition.

Courage (ἀνδρεία, andreia): also named fortitude, forbearance, strength, endurance, and the ability to confront fear, uncertainty, and intimidation.

A female director born in the 70s or 80s, are taught im a barbie girl in a barbie world.. Anyone coming opposite becomes an extremism..
The franchise is made for a demographic, which is probably 90% men, can they relate to a female..? Probably not, the franchise is for men..

If you want to spin- off, you have cartoon shows, makes a far greater impact then a flopping movie at the cinema..

Now the director comes to cut and paste scenery, and the aesthetics makes a huge impact, you can make it easy look at a females wardrobe and the whole scenery crashes..
The story is about transcension, that was the message from the start..

Can a female do the work, as a protagonist sure, as a director.. Doubtful..

Problem is the board of s*** in Hollywood who cant do their job right..

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I have no problem with female director, i have a problem with the franchise and a female director.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

She is awesome! Love her movies!

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Don't care if it has a female director, give it to anyone that will do a good job and hire them based on their ability; not the fact that they were born without a willy.

It would be really hard for a woman to mess it up worse than Lucas did anyway.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The franchise is made for a demographic, which is probably 90% men, can they relate to a female..? Probably not, the franchise is for men..

Are you insane? Millions of women and young girls love Star Wars and there's a boat load of strong female characters in the expanded universe which women and men equally become fans of. Let's not forget that Episode IV came out in the US in 1977 and Leia is pretty bad ass, Star Wars has always been not perfectly feminist but good at it. Sure Leia had to be rescued, but she always held her own and even rescued Han. In addition to being able to hold her own in a blaster fight she was critical in the tactical decisions within the Galactic Senate, that led to the fall of the Empire. Women are truly equal in Star Wars as good guys and bad guys.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Im not having a problem with the protagonist

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

What makes you think Star Wars is for men though or that male fans wouldn't be able to relate to story directed by a woman?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

How many boys do you see play with a Ken doll?

Im gonna put it in a very basic primate:

Kids movie; Female director, no problemo,
Cartoon; Female director, no problemo

Franchise it straight of with a spin- off in a Star War fashion with a female director. I think, I as in I, think its a bad idea.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That's absurd. Boys and girls have always played with whatever toys, let me guess though you're the type that would make a boy feel ashamed for playing with a doll and restrict their imagination.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Sure Leia had to be rescued, but she always held her own and even rescued Han.

She was definitely the smart one

:-)

Maybe some of the guys don't get that she was/is a feminist icon

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Whoa, I hate that. It makes me feel embarrassed as a woman. It is very patronising. Surely if there was a woman good enough for the job, she'd get hired for her talent?

I don't want mediocre people doing mediocre stuff just because they fit the current minority trend. I want them because they are good.

All this forced equality stuff just makes us look like imbeciles that won't get anywhere on our own. Or that we are not strong enough to voice our opinion if we are treated unfairly.

I am offended by this. Very.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I am offended by this. Very.

:-)

Because women shouldn't be allowed in - or because she wants a woman in?

How is a woman wanting to hire a female director more offensive than a man wanting to hire a male director?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Maybe some of the guys don't get that she was/is a feminist icon

They always seem to forget that she choked a Hutt with that chain they like to imagine her in.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join