It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Bamboo Fibre Fraud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda
a reply to: Kester

Those naughty 'hippies'... or is that your blanket term for cannabis users?
I would imagine that the UK's climate is not really conducive to good outdoor cannabis growing.....

Here's part of an outdoor crop found near London recently ...

A cannabis “forest” has been discovered by police
officers in a leafy borough of south-west London.

About 150 marijuana plants surrounded by native plant
life were found by police officers from Kingston upon Thames

Go to the link for a better view .
www.theguardian.com...

edit on 17-10-2015 by radarloveguy because: xxx

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Shocking.

If I'd found it first I would have incinerated the lot.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Segenam

Condolences over the lost shirt. I usually look around before I move off due to similar experiences when travelling. I once left a video camera on the roof of a car. Hit the road at forty miles an hour and still worked. Made in China.

It's possible your bamboo towel has been treated with an anti-microbial agent. Possibly a health risk. My own research into untreated bamboo found no noticeable anti-microbial qualities. Researchers say the industry claims about bamboo qualities being somehow passed on to the semi-synthetic bamboo fibre are entirely fictitious. Bamboo fibre has no more anti-microbial qualities than ordinary viscose made from wood chips, cotton waste, etc.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

You need to learn to spin. I'll start a thread on it.

Thank you for the coloured cotton links. I wasn't aware.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19935109]radarloveguy[/pos

Here's part of an outdoor crop found near London recently ...

EXACTLY.... look at it, all leaf and fibres... where are the buds for smoking?.... too much leaf broadly means not enough light...the police are sensationalizing weedy wild hemp as smoke-able cannabis

THIS is what they should be more 'concerned' about...

Bit different eh?
I think the ivy or whatever growing next to your example would be smoother...lol...When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough.She sends her comfort, coming in from above....
(picture courtesy of wiki for example-sake)

edit on C2015vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 18 Oct 2015 03:56:36 -050031AM3America/Chicago10 by CovertAgenda because: update

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

He obviously enjoyed telling the story. The twinkle in his eye may have suggested possible indulgence at some time.

LOL.... twinkle....i say bloodshot... !!!..
I would have thought that part of the licensing conditions were security and chain-of-custody related requirements?

they would feed on the fodder crops grown for them

EXACTLY... another inefficient step in the process... what about the energy and ecological issues related to that growth storage and distribution?

zero dependence on fossil fuels

Sorry I cant believe that statement, minimal but not zero. Think about the whole chain of production. Are the clippers manual or electric? How does water get to the farm? How does the farmer get around? Does the vet ride a horse to the farm?

Don't confuse the idiocy of some modern farming methods with the highly tuned, eco-friendly methods of the past and the present fringe.

I dont, but unfortunately (some may say) we are in the 21st century, and an interface has to be made with the current (social and business) environment. There are controls such as occupational health and safety, environmental laws, employment laws,council regulations,etc etc... that these 'highly tuned eco-friendly methods' have to integrate within.
You do realise that 'truly sustainable' and 'eco-friendly' can mean different things? depending on who is selling what.

The problem with Australian wool production is the unsuitable climate and related issues.

Ever heard of the Australian Merino?
en.wikipedia.org...
Problem? what problem? the small percentage of flyblown sheep as sensationalized by the vid?
And which Australian climate are you referring to? The big hot desert bit in the middle?, The mid southern coastal Mediterranean type zones? The northern tropical zones? etc etc?
www.australia.gov.au...
Which part is unsuitable mate? the bits MORE than 80 miles from the sea? LOL
What are the related issues? Foot and mouth? NO... AED...NO....Rabies...NO...etc
Pretty big industry considering you say its unsuitable.. (remember #1 in the world)

Sounding a bit like those....

fake-eco obsessive-traveller dreadlocked types

or

the well-off slightly troubled looking types who see nothing wrong with frequent flying while claiming eco-awareness

(no offence meant alphapred)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Here's a handspinning thread. No pun intended. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: FyreByrd

"The fiber is produced via an advanced 'closed loop' solvent spinning process, with minimal impact on the environment and economical use of energy and water. Lyocell uses an amine oxide as a non-toxic solvent which is continually recycled during the production process. Production plant emissions into the air from smokestacks and from wastewater are significantly lower in comparison to many other man-made fiber operations." organicclothing.blogs.com...

While closed loop is stated here there appear to be no guarantees at present with Chinese bamboo fibre production.

The bamboo leaves and softer stems are dissolved then sprayed out into acid to form the fibres. That's what makes it a semi-synthetic. Hemp, flax. etc. are rotted to extract the fibres. Hence it is a natural fibre that existed in the plant as opposed to a newly formed fibre made from dissolved plant material.

You make a sound point.

However, this method of production is much more sustainable and less destructive to the environment.

As to there 'toxicity' to the humans wearing them, they are no more bamboo is no more harmful then other fibres - hence the need to wash (unfortunately for the water consumption at the consumer's expense) several times before wearing to remove any vestiges of processing chemicals and any finishings put on the final clothing before wearing.

As to flammability - all fibres are flamable. The oil based ones are particularly nasty as they melt and actually melt onto any skin affected. A worse outcome then a plant based burn to someone wearing the fabric and hence the need for toxic flame retardents in all manner of textiles. You have to choose your poison.

The process from raw material to finished textile is a long one. Modern methods are quite toxic to the environment and to people. Improvements are being made and will continue as long as consumers are knowledgeable able the hazards and continually ask for better options.

As I stated eariler, I've a wonder article on 'Greening' your closet that I'll try to pass along if I can find it online. It's a piece I read in a trade magazine at a clients and will look tomorrow for an online link to it. It goes into considerable detail about how our choices in clothing affect the planet and how we can minimize our negative impact.

The number one recommendation is to purchase well made products that will last (with proper care) you for years.

You have brought up a very good topic and thank you.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

all fibres are flamable

ALL fibres???
Asbestos fibres?

Sure.

<< 1   >>

join