It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Ready To Use Military Force If US Violates Its Territorial Waters

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
Then provide a source to back up your claim about it being free to whomever wants it. Was it just lying there for the british to steal in the 1600s

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi

www.bbc.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
Bush was trying to negotiate for UK to give it to them. Pinochet doubled crossed him 3 TIMES. No I don't have a source. look it up yourself as I already know the reality around the falklands. its you that don't even know the basics.

Err..Pinochet was from Chile, not Argentina.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

lol you're bothering him with details.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

The new islands allow China to harness a portion of the sea for its own use that has been relatively out of reach until now. Although there are significant fisheries and possible large oil and gas reserves in the South China Sea, China’s efforts serve more to fortify its territorial claims than to help it extract natural resources, said Mira Rapp-Hooper, formerly the director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington research group.
Though too small to support large military units, the islands will enable sustained Chinese air and sea patrols of the area. The United States has reported spotting Chinese mobile artillery vehicles in the region, and the islands could allow China to exercise more control over fishing in the region.

nytimes

Plenty of those islands there!
The US (and their allies) could have a point if most of them would be occupied by the Chinese, which isn't the case. Taiwan and the Philippines operate similar airstrips on their islands in the region.

What the hell is it all about now? Sabre-rattling attention away from the Syriaous mess in the ME?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

You are missing the point. China is MANUFACTURING NEW ISLANDS to lay claim to international waters, not by their border though, by EVERYONE else's borders in the South China Sea

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi

Argentina has no claim - the UK claim pre-dates the foundation of Argentina. Only Spain had a competing claim and they rescinded it.

Not sure what relevance this has to thread, however, but stop banging on about something you clearly don't have a clue about.

EDIT: Also, when Argentina was founded, it only occupied the River Plate area which is hundreds of miles from Patagonia which is the closest point to the Falklands. It is ironic that in order to expand into Patagonia, Argentina had to slaughter it's way through the indigenous people there first...So who is stealing who's land?
edit on 17/10/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Then provide a source to back up your claim about it being free to whomever wants it. Was it just lying there for the british to steal in the 1600s

Argentina didn't exist in 1600

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

The fact it is thousands of miles away from uk and Argentina had a cliam on it that UK just ignored and when gas and where found they took it all and went to war. Sorry it was classed as a conflict.

[SNIPPED]

That isn't what happened at all.. Here, I'll break it down for you:

Islands were uninhabited when found during the first recorded landing: 1690 - English Captain John Strong.

Remained uninhabited until 1764 when the French established a small colony.

1766 - British establish colony on the other side of the islands.

1766 - France surrenders claim to Spain.

1770 - Spain goes captures English settlement, but gives it back after being threatened with war.

1774 - UK withdraws but leaves plaque asserting it's claim.

Spain evacuate their colony between 1806-1811.

1820 - United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata attempt to lay a claim (based on Spain's claim) and establish a colony.

Said colony was over in 1831 when the US Navy turned up to boot them off as they were a haven for pirates.

Britain reasserted it's claim in 1832..

Became Crown Colony in 1840.

------ fast forward 150 years ----

Argentina invades in 1982 (long before Oil was discovered) as an attempt to distract the population with their mismanagement of the Country.

UK sends Task force half way around the world and boots them off in a matter of weeks.

Argentina humiliated.

2000's - Blair offers them 50% revenue share of any Oil revenues - Argentina refused.

Today - Evil crone, descendent of a colonist now runs Argentina. Makes a lot of noise about colonists and imperialists without ever once realising the irony of the situation of her and her fake tan, plastic mutton features having been descended from German immigrants to a Spanish Colony that slaughtered the Natives.

edit on 1.13.2016 by Kandinsky because: Snipped insults

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

You are missing the point. China is MANUFACTURING NEW ISLANDS to lay claim to international waters, not by their border though, by EVERYONE else's borders in the South China Sea

You really think all the Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysian or Philippine islands just fell into their hands and were not manufactured like the other half of the Netherlands?

Read the article, it's not that bad at all.
edit on 17-10-2015 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

In other words..Argentina haven't a legal claim to the Falklands and actually never did.

Even if we say that Argentina's claim on the Falkland Islands is for nothing else than it's proximity to the Islands, then Britain can use the same logic and lay claim to most of Europe...considering Britain is closer to most of Europe than Argentina is to the Falklands! (Distance from Argentina to the Falkland Islands = roughly 1000 miles away!)

So no...Argentina isn't even 'close' to the Falklands, so that rubbishes the 'proximity' arguments too.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

You really think all the Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysian or Philippine islands just fell into their hands and were not manufactured like the other half of the Netherlands?

Read the article, it's not that bad at all.

By your own source, do you see how freaking far that is from China?

Hell If Vietnam maybe wanted to lay claim I could maybe see it, but China? LOOK AT THAT PICTURE.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

No, it was free for them to claim, not steal, as steal implies prior ownership and it was empty. Argentina claims to have inherited from the Spanish, who stole it from the British. So you said it should go back to the person it was stolen from .. the British. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The new islands allow China to harness a portion of the sea for its own use that has been relatively out of reach until now. Although there are significant fisheries and possible large oil and gas reserves in the South China Sea, China’s efforts serve more to fortify its territorial claims than to help it extract natural resources, said Mira Rapp-Hooper, formerly the director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington research group.
Though too small to support large military units, the islands will enable sustained Chinese air and sea patrols of the area. The United States has reported spotting Chinese mobile artillery vehicles in the region, and the islands could allow China to exercise more control over fishing in the region.

nytimes

Plenty of those islands there!
The US (and their allies) could have a point if most of them would be occupied by the Chinese, which isn't the case. Taiwan and the Philippines operate similar airstrips on their islands in the region.

What the hell is it all about now? Sabre-rattling attention away from the Syriaous mess in the ME?

Did the countries you just named manufacture an island right off the coast of China, lay claim to it, militarize it, and threaten to shoot China if they come within 12 miles of it?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

All within the Chinese Sea, it's not that far away from mainland China either. Which islands are you talking about now? They all have their fair share of rocks in the water, why Vietnam?

Also, the US will be finished on the international stage if they really press for a military escalation. Many people are already fed up with World-Policing BS without UN mandate. An US mandate only is not sufficient this time.

I'm curious how this plays out and who will be the smartest one of all involved party's, finding a diplomatic solution. I would usually put my money on the Chinese, but they have some problems with nationalistic right-wingers pushing for conflict as well. Interesting times.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

right off the coast

Roughly 150 miles from the nearest coastline... "right off" my ass. Believe what you like and got to war for Chinese Seawater on the rocks if ya like.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Oh

My

God

South China Sea is just the name of that body of water. Just because the name China is in it does NOT give the country China any rights over it.

Literally think if the USA decided all of South America was theirs' because it contained the word America.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Distance between Hawaii and California: 2471 miles. Oh my ...

I guess a 12 mile-zone surrounding Hawaii is not mandatory for Chinese warships either? Yeah, I know. That was rather devilish as you don't recognize islands as islands in case they were only little atolls during their short youth.

Mental acrobatics, short from going mental. I love a good Idiocracy!

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Distance between Hawaii and California: 2471 miles. Oh my ...

I guess a 12 mile-zone surrounding Hawaii is not mandatory for Chinese warships either? Yeah, I know. That was rather devilish as you don't recognize islands as islands when they were atolls in their short youth.

Mental acrobatics, short from going mental. I love a good Idiocracy!

We MANUFACTURED the Hawaiian Islands? And we did so off the coast of another sovereign nation?

Oh, and of course we claimed the entire ocean in between ours.

Oh my, I missed that.
edit on 17-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2015 by Vector99 because: damn americans

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Should we burn down the other half of the Netherlands then and bury it in the Northsea, where it belongs?

No need to argue about this if the Chinese would be the only nation building islands/ expanding them for their assets. But your point kinda lost it's value when I take a closer look into that region.
There should've been some fuzz as (all of them) started to ruin perfect atolls, but all this whining at this point is rather bigot and this whole topic merely a geopolitical issue by now.

Let's be completely honest here. Neither manufactured islands are the problem, nor are the Chinese claims in the Chinese Sea surprising. Stop kidding yourself. Not saying I support ruining atolls generally or their stance on territorial claims either, but military escalation can't be a serious answer.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join