It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why may I not send private messages to anyone but ATS Staff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Someone else was able to send me one, but I am not able to reply. How can this problem be fixed?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: twentyoneawatcher

I haven't tried yet, but I think you have to be here a while or have a certain amount of posts or threads in order to do it.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
we dont want to know, let the staf sort it out.
but like someone said its just ats;s archaic post/reward system, i dont get it either.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I tried the box showed up. But the advertising ad 're direct didn't show but did when I opened the thread. It does with every thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
You have to have I think 20 posts or so before you can send private messages. It's not archaic...it's a method of spam prevention. Many forums do this with a lot of success. You shouldn't have any trouble reaching 20 posts on ATS either.

See also this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We have a private message system at ATS, these are u2u's. When you get one your Members Center box in your tool bar will be flashing red, just click on it. You also go there to send a u2u. You have to have 20 posts before sending to other members but you can message the staff at any time.

edit on 16.10.2015 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Shugo

Thank you, I was not aware of this policy.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
bah...always with the must have more posts...now, rather than provide decent and thoughtful posts, I need to spam posts to reach a certain number just so I can reply to a PM. THAT is a waste and detriment.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Having been on the other side of the wall (as a mod) and seen the potential for abuse via private messaging....no, I assure you there are EXCELLENT reasons for this restriction, and requiring a member who has something vested here, before PM'ing folks.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

How about lifting some restrictions so that if someone PM's you, you can at least respond so you don't come across as unduly rude. I understand the need to wait for new members to be able to PM someone else, but wouldn't it make sense to be able to allow someone to respond to a PM from someone else?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtfatta
bah...always with the must have more posts...now, rather than provide decent and thoughtful posts, I need to spam posts to reach a certain number just so I can reply to a PM. THAT is a waste and detriment.

if you don't like the rules, you're free to leave.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Really? Is it that hard to make a thoughtful response to a thread comment?

There are some very good reasons for the rule.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

As I said to Gazrok, I understand the need. What I don't understand is why you can't respond to someone who PM'd you first.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Or I can point out that preventing someone from responding to a PM started by someone else is problematic and hope that the rules will be changed as a result. Rules have always been adjusted as things change. If you don't like that, you can leave I guess? But my saying that and you doing that doesn't help anything does it?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Mind if I spam this post then? Lol a reply to: Shugo

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Agreed!

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 01:01 AM
link   
SPAM

edit on 1/15/2023 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join