It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Larry Niven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I came across this wonderful sci-fi series written by Larry Niven

Laurence van Cott Niven (/ˈnɪvən/; born April 30, 1938) — known as Larry Niven — is an American science fiction writer.[1] His best-known work is Ringworld (1970), which received Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. The Science Fiction Writers of America named him the 2015 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award.[2] His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. It also often includes elements of detective fiction and adventure stories. His fantasy includes the series The Magic Goes Away, rational fantasy dealing with magic as a non-renewable resource.

For everyone who is interested, the book Ringworld is the one to read,and it follow a series of four sequels and four prequels.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hmm sounds interesting. But out of curiousity. Shouldn't the prequels be read first? Or is the Ringworld to be read then 4 sequels then 4 prequels?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Love those books.

He also has a number of short stories set in the same universe. And other writers wrote in that universe as well. The war between the Kzin and the human race is chronicled in books by other writers, iirc.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Niven also co-authored novels with Jerry Pournelle. 'Footfall' comes to mind. His best work, IMO, was when these two worked together.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Footfall was the first book I read by Niven. I was hooked then.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia So, cool you posted this. I have read Ringworld and had no idea about the prequels and sequels. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia
I had a collection of short stories by him. It included an excerpt of Lucifer's Hammer, about a comet that crashes into the earth and the catastrophe it caused. I liked it and have looking for the whole novel ever since. It's on my wish list.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Would be great if there were a new set of sci-fi writers, many of the old ones are reaching the end line, and their works are fantastic.
To many sci-fi writers have been entangled in the works of the major companies such as, Disney, Marvel, DC.
There must be a unique writer somewhere?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I don't read sci-fi much these days.

Card is about the only newer author that caught my interest. That faded after the first few novels.

I ended up in the fantasy realm, Robert Jordan comes to mind. There was a number of really talented authors in that genre.
Perhaps they moved into fantasy instead of Sci-fi.

Most of the golden-age sci-fi writers were scientists in their own right. I admit when I find one of the old yarns I jump on it and re-read them. Amazing what 40-50 years does to change one's perspective....

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

There are a few new ones out there that I have read.
John ringo,
s.m. Stirling
and one guy I forgot his name, he wrote "the event". Goldman or golman something...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia A fairly recent trilogy by Nick Sagan, Idyllwild, Edenborn and Everfree were all good reads. They were slightly like the Matrix. They came out between 2003-2006.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Good Times!
Haven't seen those 2 names since I was a kid boosting my Dad's sfy-fi books & magazines!!! ( ahem) forty five years ago.......

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Yep, we are OLD! LOL.

new topics

top topics

join