It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists stumped as Kepler observes bizarre light patterns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

But there’s also been speculation that Kepler may have the ability to detect more than natural phenomena; if they’re out there, Kepler may also detect the signature of artificial structures orbiting other stars, Discovery reports.

Among the likely natural causes of the star brightness dimming outlined in a paper submitted to the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society and made available on the arXiv preprint service on Sept. 11, astronomers looked into debris from a possible planetary collision, the presence of circumstellar rings, starspots, and a clump of comets. All possibilities were investigated, but all were unsatisfactory, except for the latter.

The comet clump explanation seems to answer many of the mysteries about the strange transit signal. A nearby star, only 1,000 AU from KIC 8462852, could have caused some gravitational perturbations during close approach, possibly sending a swarm of comets toward the star, blotting out up to 22 percent of the star’s light from Kepler’s view.

Imagine an advanced civilization that’s well up on the Kardashev scale and has the ability to harness energy directly from its star. This hypothetical alien civilization may want to construct vast megastructures, like supersized solar arrays in orbit around their host star, that could be so big that they blot out a sizable fraction of starlight as they pass in front.

Scientists stumped as Kepler observes bizarre light patterns

Just wild speculation here, but could this be the beginnings of a Dyson Sphere?

Now this could just be some unknown natural phenomenon, but that would be an exciting discovery as well...perhaps not as exciting as an alien culture building mega space structures, but exciting nonetheless.

I found some more articles on this as well.

'Giant alien megastructure found in space': What is a Dyson sphere, and what else could we have found?

Did Astronomers Just Find Evidence of an Extraterrestrial Dyson Sphere?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Isn't this the same as this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

And four others.😃

I am also excited,though....

Unless it's a giant fleet of warships headed straight for us.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

And four others.😃

Like a row of ants i australia heading straight for Greenland

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

And four others.😃

Like a row of ants i australia heading straight for Greenland

A great mental image, which will be shuffled to the side when this thread is closed.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Well, good news! It looks like data pushed up the nose of the scientific establishment has allowed some aspect of it to seriously consider Kardashev's concept of how advanced civilizations may alter the environment of their solar system and have it to be recognized from afar.

Now, if they would just take one good UFO sighting report and note the details of the strange craft and its maneuvers, perhaps they could come to a reasonable understanding of that phenomenon within our midst even if hard to swallow.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Closing the thread because it's already posted @ SETI: On the Verge of a Breakthrough?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
N/A
edit on 10.16.2015 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

top topics

join