It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German hunter kills biggest Elephant for almost 30 years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Absolutely more anti poaching is needed.

It cost money to protect and feed animals.

A rich hunter can = thousands of tourist that may never come.

To think that in the animal kingdom a sacrifice is needed in order to survive is crazy thought but it works.

That would make sense if money went back to preservation...

From local politician's pockets to USA politicians...

www.tucsonsentinel.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Would love to hunt that guy for free...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Beautiful elephant! I'm a bit puzzled at the handling of it, though. Not sure I'd drop $60K+ on an elephant hunt and not fiscally budget to have at least a shoulder mount done with the kill. The article indicates that the hunter claimed the ivory, which is to be expected, but damn an elephant shoulder mount with ivory has looked pretty damn sweet the few times I've been in the same room with one.

Oh, and the Dentist that bagged a lion a few months back was more impressive to me because he used a bow.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

How much did you donate to conservation in Africa last year?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The video screen shot says it all really , Pathetic.
The thought of it fills me with rage.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Beautiful elephant! I'm a bit puzzled at the handling of it, though. Not sure I'd drop $60K+ on an elephant hunt and not fiscally budget to have at least a shoulder mount done with the kill. The article indicates that the hunter claimed the ivory, which is to be expected, but damn an elephant shoulder mount with ivory has looked pretty damn sweet the few times I've been in the same room with one.

Oh, and the Dentist that bagged a lion a few months back was more impressive to me because he used a bow.

The dentist is a moran who should be trophy hunted himself.

He had no right to trespass and should be held accountable for his actions.

The only reason he used a bow was to poach the animal without being heard. The shot cecil took was not fatal and he would have healed but they tracked him in an area that was off limits for days until they got close enough to shoot him with a gun. If the dentist remained true to the position you put forth of it being a challenge with a bow then cecil would still be alive.
edit on 16-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Absolutely more anti poaching is needed.

It cost money to protect and feed animals.

A rich hunter can = thousands of tourist that may never come.

To think that in the animal kingdom a sacrifice is needed in order to survive is crazy thought but it works.

That would make sense if money went back to preservation...

From local politician's pockets to USA politicians...

www.tucsonsentinel.com...

No doubt there is abuse and I speak in terms of private reserves.

So many game ranches out there where 95% of the herd is left alone and a small number of animals are taken to keep it open. That model works.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

The dentist is a moran who should be trophy hunted himself.

He had no right to trespass and should be held accountable for his actions.

"moron"

Not exactly...
www.cbsnews.com...

But on Monday she told reporters in Harare that Palmer can now safely return to Zimbabwe as a "tourist" because he had not broken the southern African country's hunting laws. She said the police and the National Prosecuting Authority had cleared Palmer of wrongdoing.

He broke no laws.

Thank God this damn elephant hadn't been named or the media would have an orgy of anthropomorphizing the goddamned thing like they did with the lion.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

But neither really hunted it...

They were brought to a place to point and shoot.
I know the good these hunts give but just feel like we should call them a hunt, since they pay some one to do everything but pull trigger or let the arrow fly.

Oh and if you want to contribute to conservation, you can do their safari trips too.www.ifaw.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What a stand up guy and you should rethink your stance. The dentist is not being held liable because the guides took the fall and the country does not want to upset their money machine of hunters.

Do not mistake what took place. The doc knew the shot was illegal and that when he fired his bow he was on protected land. Just because gov. is screwed up does not mean we have to be.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The doc knew the shot was illegal and that when he fired his bow he was on protected land.

I know you wouldn't make this statement without proof of it. Care to share a link where this is admitted or evidenced in any way?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It is still hunting. Don't confuse stalking with hunting.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
We can agree to disagree there.
I don't see how getting lead to an animal by someone else inside of a conservation site, albeit large, and told to point and shoot.

All they have to do is make sure not to make a fool of themselves and miss.

Just so they can say they killed an elephant/lion?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

True
I followed the story from the start and that fact is found in the early reports.

One point that can prove it is that the guides on that hunt are all in jail now and just look at their charges.

That is why cecil drew so much attention is because he live in a protected area and was seen by numerous tourist everyday.

Actually I think it is even sicker than what I posted. The guides drove in with a hunk of meat on their truck and got the lions attention then the lion followed them into unprotected area where he was shot with a bow and lived on the run for two days before he was shot with a gun.

Sure I will go look at the sources again but the fact is the guides are in prison now and the gov has no desire to make hunters feel unwelcomed.

You know what cecil was collared at the time he was shot.

www.cbsnews.com...

This dentist paid the guides to lure the collared lion out of his home by a dead deer on the back of a jeep into an unprotected area where he was shot with a bow to mask the sound. The lion ran and 2 days later was fatally shot with a rifle. They left the body that had a gps tracker in it because there were people out searchin for them all.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I would assume the press wouldn't be allowed too.
Just like you can't just go out and try and catch criminals on the street.

I agree with you, people should be asking why these trophy hunts are still so widely done when they don't really contribute as much as the safari and other non hunt related tourism.

Would say the press doesn't care about that, not going to argue the better head line is going after the hunter, doesn't mean poaching goes unnoticed.
We just need to stop letting the MSM dictate what think is noticed.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

That's why they require guides, though. I do not believe Mr. Palmer knew his guides were breaking any laws. Most places that require guides (including my own state) for nonresident hunters do so because they have some laws which may not be obvious to a nonresident and, in return, the guide will ALWAYS be the one who takes the beating from the law.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Just like you can't just go out and try and catch criminals on the street

Yes you can legally hunt criminals.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

That's why they require guides, though. I do not believe Mr. Palmer knew his guides were breaking any laws. Most places that require guides (including my own state) for nonresident hunters do so because they have some laws which may not be obvious to a nonresident and, in return, the guide will ALWAYS be the one who takes the beating from the law.

You are just trying to take up for the guy that is defenseless by his own doing.

That excuse would have been fine at first but then he hunted the lion for two days after that and was totally aware of the others searching the area.

Even if he did not know(which is a lie)it is his duty to know before he pulled the trigger.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Not sure if you are serious or not but no you can't.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
serious
in the us you can hunt criminals but not allowed to kill em without putting a gun in their hand.

it is called law enforcement.

no the last part was a joke but citizens arrest is a real legal thing but some local laws may apply in certain places.

www.wikihow.com...'s-Arrest

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join