It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand religion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AttitudeProblem

There are so many religions in the world, which one is right?

dont forget too ask the next question, or just save yourself a step & conclude some questions are just unanswerable...

thank you!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Ricky Gervais is actually proof of de-evolution seeing as single-celled pond scum can become not only rich but famous as well.

Going to wash out the mouth now since I spoke of that filth

Ricky Gervais is an animal activist, an amazing guy...... I don't understand why you dislike him so much...

Regarding your OP: religions were created to separate, oppress and conquer, nothing else...... if a God or Gods / Goddesses really exist, they wouldn't need religions and silly rules, they'd be obvious and available to anyone.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Oh, my faith is true but I know that spending the next two weeks on this thread is not going to change peoples minds..
This is a game to most on here and a bit of fun Christian bashing..
Been there, done that..

cheers
edit on 16-10-2015 by jon1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Ricky Gervais is actually proof of de-evolution seeing as single-celled pond scum can become not only rich but famous as well.

Going to wash out the mouth now since I spoke of that filth

Ricky Gervais is a people exploitist

Fixed that for you, unless you consider Karl Pilkington an animal.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

As much as I hate 'the seek and you shall find' and other such godly cliches, why are you attacking someone for not wanting to get into it on an internet forum? That isnt a lack of faith, and even if it was- what's that got to do with you?
You must be old to remember a time with arenas and wolves, lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jon1

Oh, my faith is true but I know that spending the next two weeks on this thread is not going to change peoples minds..
This is a game to most on here and a bit of fun Christian bashing..
Been there, done that..

cheers

How are you so sure?

Did you dedicate enough time on this thread to make a presence only to disappear?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lifecitizen

Chillax oh lawyer of the pure and innocent. I made a joke and was the one who gave him a star for his response. He has more humour than you obviously.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you actually want answers, because it seems like you believe you already have it figured out. So why ask in the first place?

But just to play along, my religion has different answers from what you seem to be used to. We believe God is the creator of all Existence and one of His titles is "the Lord of the Worlds". We also believe that we're placed in this temporary existence for a series of tests, basically in this order:

1. Will we accept that there is one God/Creator or not?

2. If we accept that that there is one God/Creator, will we choose to submit to Him or will we defy Him?

3. If we choose to submit to Him, we must prove it through our actions & inactions.

In our religion, a person's "rank" is determined by their piety. And in some sects, a person cannot attain the highest "ranks" without memorizing the entire Qur'an.

"Free will" has a different meaning to us. We believe humans & Jinn are 2 of the only creatures that have free will, which is the ability to accept God's existence or not. We believe the rest of God's creations believe automatically, kind of like how our hearts pump without thought.

The "Devil" to us (Shaytan) is a jinn. We believe his only powers are to speak directly to our spirits & the power of suggestion. We believe he is an enemy to all humankind & he is the initial cause of our negative thoughts. The things that science calls "Intrusive thoughts" are one example of what I'm talking about (one of his titles is "the sneaking whisperer"). The 1st level of Jihad for us is to purge ourselves of our vices, negativity, and Shaytan's suggestions.

As for "why God does or doesn't interfere"; 1. He does & quite often, and most believers can tell you moments in their life where minor miracles occurred. 2. If He interfered every time people asked for it, it would conflict with itself & it would take away people's free will (think of the family members for opposing teams who pray for victory). 3. It's easy to claim you would never rob someone. But will your answer remain the same if you're going through hardships?

Also, the trials & tribulations we go through are part of our tests. Even the Prophets were tested strongly. In fact, here are 3 verses from the Qur'an that describe it better than I can.

And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the steadfast, (Quran 2:155)

And verily We shall try you till We know those of you who strive hard (for the cause of Allah) and the steadfast, and till We test your record. (Quran 47:31)

Do men imagine that they will be left (at ease) because they say, We believe, and will not be tested with affliction?(Quran 29:2)

And another thing. We believe God is perfect, omniscience, loving & merciful. He already knows everything we're going to do. To humans, that may seem ridiculous. But I see it as that's because we're 3-dimensional beings living in the 4th dimension. But if God is outside of the 4th dimension, all of our lives would be like video clips in a video editor. He can see our lives in their entirety, as well as the lives of our ancestors & descendants just as easily as you can pull up a specific scene from any episode of your favorite tv series at will.

And going by that analogy, many people have favorite movies, tv shows, or music albums. And even when they've already seen or heard them so many times they've memorized every line, that doesn't stop them from enjoying it, does it? I think of God's knowledge of us as similar to that. I'd even liken His enjoyment at our passing of His tests to our enjoyment of our favorite characters leveling up, finally getting their love interest, or defeating a major villain. We already know how the story will end, but we still enjoy watching it.

EDIT: (facepalm). I type too fast. i didn't even realize i typed a pamphlet. there's no way you're reading all of that, no matter how well i think it flows. (sigh) carry on...
edit on 16-10-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Fixed that for you, unless you consider Karl Pilkington an animal.

Karl is a showman, a comedian, he was never exploited.... don't you know that Karl owns his own company and he is a millionaire? And idiot abroad was just a show to make people laugh!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

That's it.

I thought the OP was a troubled teen with his opening post about his Mummy telling him to obey god. But it looks like they are just out for an argument and could be middle aged LOL..... good luck with that though OP.

I agree- Ricky is amazing. And I use that word very very lightly. I dont throw it around like a lot of people do.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I have a well thought answer coming asap for you my friend, I like your post

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Many, many hours..
Met some nice people as well..

cheers

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: lifecitizen

no, i'm genuine, I know damn well an idiot abroad is karl making some money by looking a fool.
mid 30's btw

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

lol!! I don't usually see much jovialness around here. My [humourless] mistake.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I have a well thought answer coming asap for you my friend, I like your post

Oh. Well, uhh, thanks. Feel free to respond when you have the chance. I didn't realize I'd typed so much until i hit "Reply". I honestly didn't think anyone would read it. This is a bit awkward now lol

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you actually want answers, because it seems like you believe you already have it figured out. So why ask in the first place?

But just to play along, my religion has different answers from what you seem to be used to. We believe God is the creator of all Existence and one of His titles is "the Lord of the Worlds". We also believe that we're placed in this temporary existence for a series of tests, basically in this order:

2. If we accept that that there is one God/Creator, will we choose to submit to Him or will we defy Him?

This is what intrigued me. A willful disbelief with a slap in the face saying you are stupid.

This depends on the teacher.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

And another thing. We believe God is perfect, omniscience, loving & merciful. He already knows everything we're going to do.

to expand on this, do you carry that burden daily with religion? pr only as it comes about as burden (legit question).

Meaning do you always just act as islam, or do sometimes islam define your actions
edit on 16-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Don't be so hard on yourself. I read all of that and have seen you around and read prior posts of yours- as much as I don't believe what you believe, I like your posts. And think you do well seeing as how hated Muslims are...
You are never defensive and get your point across eloquently.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

This is what intrigued me. A willful disbelief with a slap in the face saying you are stupid.

This depends on the teacher.

I'm a little confused. What do you mean?

Remember, "Islam" literally means "submission to God" and "Muslim" literally means "one who submits (to God)". So wouldn't it make sense that our religion literally starts with the concept of acknowledging God & then submitting or defying him?

Our Devil/Shaytan's path is the opposite of Islam. He knows God, Heaven, and Hell are real, but willingly defies God. And then he doubled down on that by asking for a reprieve from his own damnation in order to get as many of us to disbelieve as possible.

EDIT: added "of Islam" to the line stating "Our devil/Shayan's path is..." To me it was implied, but I had to remember people don't believe what I believe. So I had to clarify.
edit on 16-10-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

When it comes to your religion, I'm intrigued, as with any other. There is trial and tribulation, an establishment, a set belief.

I want to know the feeling, see the reality of your god/s.

In life I'm left so far with just that, life.

There will be no god anytime soon, there will be no god anytime after.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join