It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I've been around it my whole life. My mother tells me I should believe and obey God. She also told me the tooth fairy took my teeth and left quarters and santa brought me presents.

I don't get it. I don't see god anywhere. How can anyone see god when there is such turmoil in the world. You religious like to say he gave us free will, but then when someone dies you say it was part of god's plan.

I'm open to religion, I really am. If you present it to me in the form of the bible I will slap you linguistically as fast as I can. That is NOT PROOF.

There are so many religions in the world, which one is right?

OK creationists, here is YOUR challenge. Teach me how we were created, and then teach me why our gods suddenly abandoned us.

I've read the bible, scriptures are just passages, meaning nothing and leading nowhere.

Where is the hidden text, where is the proof?

I want to believe, but I'm not a simpleton

Enlighten me please, I welcome anyone to it

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
I've been around it my whole life. My mother tells me I should believe and obey God. She also told me the tooth fairy took my teeth and left quarters and santa brought me presents.

I don't get it. I don't see god anywhere. How can anyone see god when there is such turmoil in the world. You religious like to say he gave us free will, but then when someone dies you say it was part of god's plan.

I'm open to religion, I really am. If you present it to me in the form of the bible I will slap you linguistically as fast as I can. That is NOT PROOF.

OK creationists, here is YOUR challenge. Teach me how we were created, and then teach me why our gods suddenly abandoned us.

I've read the bible, scriptures are just passages, meaning nothing and leading nowhere.

E=mc^2

Light has a speed. Gnarly af.

Contemplate that equation.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
None of them are right.

I would like to enlighten you but I don't believe in a god. Noone is watching us or coming to save us. Its up to ourselves.

Life just is. Be kind to people and be kind to animals. #kindness is magic

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blissful

E=mc^2

I do use my mental capacity to comprehend such equations, and I grasp the concept. I just haven't pursued my personal mathematics beyond calculus.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

They call it "faith" for a reason. Most people who believe do so because of word-of-mouth. They were told to enough times that they ended up believing it. Should we believe it coincident that most people raised with Christianity grow up to be Christians or that most people who are raised Buddhist grow up to be Buddhist, etc? Each of them are convinced their way is the right one simply because they were taught that way and they usually never stop to consider that they would be a Jew or Hindu and be totally convinced they were right if they were born into a different family.

For the rest of us? We either find something else that rings more true, have a spiritual experience, or find nothing and settle with being an atheist or agnostic.

As long as your belief isn't being used as a weapon, it's difficult to screw it up.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Thank you for your response, it almost makes me think as if my mind may seem like a "weapon" to those that are easily persuaded.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I believe in god, but to me it is a matter of definition and integration. I pick and choose from every culture and religion. Our ancestors energy, the collective consciousness of all living things and the "spirit" of mother earth. No true religious person would ever agree with me and i hate it when someone talks about god like it is human.
Maybe you should also try a more individualistic approach to find sthg that works for you?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: lifecitizen
Life just is. Be kind to people and be kind to animals. #kindness is magic

That's probably one of the simplest yet most succinctly put statements about our existence I've read. I couldn't' agree more!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I believe in god, but to me it is a matter of definition and integration. I pick and choose from every culture and religion. Our ancestors energy, the collective consciousness of all living things and the "spirit" of mother earth. No true religious person would ever agree with me and i hate it when someone talks about god like it is human.
Maybe you should also try a more individualistic approach to find sthg that works for you?

Esoterics, I like that, I BELIEVE that.

It's this religion thing I'm trying to grasp. No religious people seem to want to respond, maybe I should find a potato chip that looks like the virgin mary.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

E=mc^2

I do use my mental capacity to comprehend such equations, and I grasp the concept. I just haven't pursued my personal mathematics beyond calculus.
God's math when you really think about it. He's like the underlying enactor of all things.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

E=mc^2

God's math when you really think about it. He's like the underlying enactor of all things.

So, is this the final equation? It seems like there is so much more to know. Why does god leave us with 3rd grade math?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

You'll never get an answer, friend. It's best to contemplate what we can as opposed to what we cannot.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

It IS a simple philosophy

The hashtag comes from my favourite comedian. Ricky Gervais, from his show Derek. Worth a look everyone.
edit on Friday06fAmerica/Chicago2015-10-16T02:06:29-05:00063106288America/Chicago by lifecitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

dont forget too ask the next question, or just save yourself a step & conclude some questions are just unanswerable...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

a reply to: noonebutme

It IS a simple philosophy

The hashtag comes from my favourite comedian. Ricky Gervais, from his show Derek. Worth a look everyone.

Ricky Gervais is actually proof of de-evolution seeing as single-celled pond scum can become not only rich but famous as well.

Going to wash out the mouth now since I spoke of that filth

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Hi Vector99..
I could enlighten you as a christian, but as a long time member on here i know the consequences of that...
There are to many wolves at the door ready to pounce...
What i will say is to use your heart and mind to find god and not what you see with your eyes....
God is not standing in a doorway waiting for you to pass but he is in your heart waiting for you to ask him into your life...

Seek and you shall find..

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

You sound offended. What offends you so much about him? He's an outspoken animal activist- is that offensive?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jon1

Your faith is not true then? I remember a time when people walked into a real arena with wolves to show their faith and you're scared to take some bashing for it in a tiny internet forum?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jon1

Hi Vector99..
I could enlighten you as a christian, but as a long time member on here i know the consequences of that...
There are to many wolves at the door ready to pounce...
What i will say is to use your heart and mind to find god and not what you see with your eyes....
God is not standing in a doorway waiting for you to pass but he is in your heart waiting for you to ask him into your life...

Seek and you shall find..

Enlighten me then, it's my thread, I won't report you.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

You sound offended. What offends you so much about him? He's an outspoken animal activist- is that offensive?

Offended by Ricky? Nah mate, he's a blast! A piece of # too, but he's entertainment for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join