It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists claim they can change your belief on immigrants and God – with MAGNETS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You do understand this is an article reporting on a study, correct? This is not a correct interpretation of what is taking place.

From the abstract of the actual study:

Building on prior literature examining the role of the pMFC in shifts in relatively low-level decision processes, we demonstrate that the pMFC mediates adjustments in adherence to political and religious ideologies. We presented participants with a reminder of death and a critique of their in-group ostensibly written by a member of an out-group, then experimentally decreased both avowed belief in God and out-group derogation by down-regulating pMFC activity via transcranial magnetic stimulation. The results provide the first evidence that group prejudice and religious belief are susceptible to targeted neuromodulation, and point to a shared cognitive mechanism underlying concrete and abstract decision processes.

I'm not going to be a jerk and bold, you are grown enough.
edit on 16-10-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Considering I haven't looked at any links in the OP or researched anything after coming here, I'm going to suggest the affect was produced by reducing sensitivity to threat. Reduced sensitivity to threat means reduced mortality salience and less desire for purpose or afterlife. I would assume the only reason people care about immigration is because they're worried it'll affect their chances to live well or overcome danger. They will no longer care as much about living well or surviving danger.

The same affect should also give people a feeeling of oneness and peace. A sense that all is well and there's nothing to fear.

Lol I'm stabbing in the dark.

A few things make me think all this though. There's a model tied to threat sensitivity that says when a person is highly sensitive to threats they're more likely to have psychiatric disorders. And I've seen studies about mortality salience and how it affects belief in god or desire for purpose. I've also things about oxytocin and group bonding...”

Fantastic explanation johnnywhite

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Will some atheists try to "cure" people from being religious like the way some religious try to "cure" people from being gay?

So far there is no "religious conversion therapy", but unfortunately there are still "gay conversion therapies".

If such a thing is allowed to happen, those people who supported gay conversion therapy helped it to happen.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Reminds me of the movie "The Giver". Actually there are a number of movies that deal with this same premise, "Equilibrium" also comes to mind.

Even a world that is the perfection of a single mind, is a colorless world for all that live in it.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Is it really surprising that the brain, which is basically a bioelectric computer, is affected by electromagnetism?

I would be reluctant to participate in a study like this...no telling what kind of long term damage is being caused.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

yeah im f*****

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I've read about how an individual was turned into a genuine sociopath for about an hour using cranial magnets; why shouldnt someone's views on religion or immigration be able to be manipulated?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

CAREFUL I'm not so POPULAR with some people here.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Yes I am farmiliar with that game,NOT what I mean.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have that feeling they use to say it with an agenda. Like faith was just something biological - just wiring maybe with a hint of '___'. I could make you free from atheism too with a single bullet. Does it mean anything?

Remote magnetic manipulation of nervous systems over a distance of several hundred meters, using a small portable battery-powered device or permanent bar magnet? That's a juicy stuff!

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

Well, think about this. A lot of people these days use headphones, which have magnets in them, while being connected to the internet.

So is it possible to hack into a personal computer of someone and slowly change their behavior this way?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

You'd hear the movement of the magnets because that's how the speakers work.

Unless it was some kind of binaural subliminal noise. Isochronic you'd noticed better. However then you need no magnets because the sound gets the job done. The current would be too low to have any effect anyway. Headphones paranoia lol. I was there.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So if they can change minds with this using magnets and straight forward questions then they can add in suggestion and indoctrination while only needing much smaller amounts of magnetism. Possibly small enough amounts that we are all exposed to everyday.

Why tell us now? Bragging?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This gives a little credence to my theory that they can control life on this rock using emf and that perhaps an emp could rewrite our memories. Just like the flashy things on mib but on a much grander scale. Just when we figure out the control mechanisms that we are being lulled by then along comes an asteroid to rewrite our base programming. If such is possible then even genetic mutations could be forced in the same manner and thereby no traces of the evolutionary links would exist and what we would have is a merging of the two major stories of how we got here. For that matter the original word could have very well givin rise to earth as we know it in a few days with all the history built into the creation.

Either way it will be great to fully understand this interaction to the full extent.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am guessing this is just the tip of the iceberg to what can be done with technology similar to this. More research needs to be done, I think the possibilities are truly endless!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join