It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conscience Creep: How “Religious Freedom” Spiraled Out of Control...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Gryphon66

I don't see it as mental illness, because even the staunchest young earth creationists (the most deluded Christians) are still able to function at high intellectual capacities in regards to things that aren't related to religion, or even in pursuit of promoting their religious causes. I see it as brainwashing. Pure and simple. It's the world's oldest and most effective propaganda.

I would agree with brainwashing, at least in the more fundamentalist sects. Having been there, I have wondered whether I was mentally stable, but after the long, arduous process of deprogramming, I felt a lot more sane than I had for decades. It's because of going through that, and re-educating myself, I can empathize with both sides of this issue, even though I may sound harsh at times. It's because I hate seeing others where I was at. It's occasionally scary to think of that time in my life, now.
edit on 10/16/2015 by Klassified because: re-word

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It may not seem like much of a difference to you, but to me I see a big difference. Brainwashing from propaganda can be resisted if you have the intelligence to overcome them (and once it is recognized and resisted it becomes easier and easier to break the programming as time goes on), while mental illnesses are ingrained in your head and it is pretty much a life long battle to stay on top of them.

You really want to quibble about the different ways you and I consider the negative aspects of religion?

Just in a scrappy mood today? LOL

Okay. You seem to be implying here that there is something inherent in a strong intellect that prevents the absorption of religious dogma. In general, I don't disagree with you. However, that's an exceedingly easy answer and one that doesn't really point to any solutions.

Witness the number of our compatriots here at ATS that are obviously very bright that at the same time hold these wildly irrational beliefs. To say or imply that no bright person ever falls prey to these mental instabilities is far too unilateral to be useful in my opinion.

But whether we think that there's some sort of mental disability or intellectual disability ... is it really that important to make the distinction between my perspective and yours?

What objective difference does it make? Does one perspective yield a better offer of "correction" than the other?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Ever had any minor psychological episodes that made reality a bit confusing?

I have in mind intense personal relationships, chemical alterations, etc.

I spent many many years living under what I consider the mental disability of religious upbringing.

When I came out the other end of it, it was very much like I had a disease that I had recovered from. /shrug

Maybe a distinction between the two ways of looking at it is "straining at gnats" though, LOL.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Ever had any minor psychological episodes that made reality a bit confusing?

Yes. When what I was learning first began to conflict with what I thought I knew.

When I came out the other end of it, it was very much like I had a disease that I had recovered from. /shrug

Indeed. Sometimes I feel like that disease left remnants, that to this day I occasionally contend with. Re-wiring the brain takes a lot of persistence. Lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Exactly. Ever notice how many times I use Bible quotes and metaphors to prove points?

Even though I know it's hogwash ... "it's in there."

Maybe a better metaphor that incorporates both concepts of brainwashing and mental illness would be of a poorly manufactured machine.

One that has been wired wrong by an incompetent crew on the assembly line on one shift or something.

We correct our bad wiring or mechanicals; suddenly, everything functions as intended.

LOL ... congratulations on your recovery. Be patient with those remnants.

And thankful for the amount of daylight you can now see.

Thanks for the thread.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join