It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing homemade natural cleaning products.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I have been making my own homemade cleaning products. They are non-toxic all natural, so no nasty chemicals. I am pretty impressed by their results. My favorite so far has been an enzyme cleaner. It cuts through soap scum better than any store purchased product I have ever seen.

The cleaners are; Multipurpose cleaner, degreaser, floor cleaner, and enzyme cleaner.

What you'll need for all 4 types of cleaners.

4 mason jars
White vinegar, although I did substitute with apple cider vinegar on my 2nd batch.
Distilled water
5 lemons and 5 oranges.
Rosemary (optional, but effective against e-coli so it is recommended)
Active yeast
brown sugar
Pine needles

For the multipurpose cleaner:
Peel 2 lemons and 2 oranges. Place peels in one of the mason jars. Put the pulp aside for another cleaner.
Fill the mason jar with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 distilled water. Add rosemary. Let sit 5-7 days. Add to a spray bottle when ready to use. Works well on kitchen counters and windows.

For the degreaser: Take the peels of 2 lemons and 2 oranges. (once again, set the pulp aside)
You are going to need to press them. I personally took a cookie sheet lined it with wax paper and used a rolling pin to squeeze the oil out of the peels. If someone has a better way, let me know.
Once you have squeezed out all the oil you can pour it into a mason jar, add the peel of one lemon for good measure and fill the jar half way with vinegar. Do not add water this is a concentrated cleaner and the batch is smaller than the other cleaners.
Works great on ovens.

For the floor cleaner:
Take the remainder of the peels from the degreaser and the peels from the remaining lemon and orange and place in mason jar.
Add a small handful of pine needles.
Fill jar with vinegar and let sit for 5-7 days. (I made one batch with apple cider vinegar, and seems to work just as well)

For the enzyme cleaner:
Add the pulp you had set aside to a mason jar.
Add 2 table spoons of brown sugar.
Add 1/8 cup active yeast.
Add 3parts vinegar and 1 part distilled water.
Add lid very loosely.
Let sit for two weeks, removing lid to let out air once a day for the first 3-4 days and then every few days after that.
After two weeks, strain and add to a squirt bottle.

I love it as a bathroom cleaner. For soap scum let sit for no less than 5 minutes, no longer than 10. The soap scum just wipes away. My faucets looked super shiny afterwards. It can cause skin irritation so I recommend gloves. My cat jumped in the tub when I was letting it sit and the bottom of one of her paws became irritated.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Nice. I tried one I saw on facebook:

1:! ratio of heated white vinegar (heating helps it to mix well) and original blue dawn. Put in a squirt bottle and clean your tub and toilets, etc. Spray it on and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Works really good. I had a tub in a rental unit that I could not get the grime off with comet and abrasives - this stuff got rid of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Thank you very much. You have just given me my family Xmas presents idea.. I feel all buzzy and inspired. Just what I need on a Friday afternoon. I'm surprised there's no baking soda in there.
Have a great weekend.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Do the lemon and oranges take away the smell of the vinegar? I love products that smell good.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Yes, in all of them except the enzyme cleaner. My husband always remarks on how good the house smells when I use the multipurpose cleaner.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Thanks, I'll try and make some!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
I haven't done this yet, but you could probably add essential oils to it to give you a variety of scents.

top topics

join