It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody have experience with Hulu?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I've been contemplating dropping directv mostly because I'm tired of paying nearly $100 a month. They have great service but I just don't utilize it enough to justify the expense.
We have Netflix now and watch a bunch of different programming, but we find it doesn't have everything we want to see.

Anybody with Hulu experience out there?
And I've heard they have commercials...

Help please ATS!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You can pay extra for a no commercial sub, Make's it bearable. But personally i stick with Netflix and Crunchyroll. Anything I can't get from those places I just "find" online.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yes, hulu has commercials.

Also hulu primarily has the same MOVIES as netflix will have, as it seems that the studios must release "packages" of streaming movies to all the providers. I also notice that my amazon prime service has a similar overlap with regard to movies.

Now, Hulu's main benefit and the reason I have it in conjunction(and recommend it) with netflix is because of the TV content. Most popular series are available next day. It's a good option if you have some shows that you like to watch while the season is airing as opposed to months after a season has finished(and usually hits netflix).

Also, as for movies, hulu does actually have a bit of an eclectic mix of old/art house/niche films that it seems to go out of the way for. A lot of them I've never seen on netflix. One example is they have a nice sized library of Criterion Collection films. It's a plus if you like stuff outside of the mainstream new releases.
edit on 15-10-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I use hulu plus and I like it. They get current shows as they come out unlike Netflix. They just added the option to have showtime through them for 9$ a month and they even just added a commercial free option for a few extra bucks. I say its well worth it. Between hulu and Netflix I haven't needed anything else...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yes Hulu has commercials. It also has a commercial free version for a little more cash. They show first run TV shows from major networks one day after they run on TV. There is also and add on for their movie section where they offer Showtime movies; again there's a charge

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm not really interested in more movies, just more selection in tv shows.
My kid likes some Nickelodeon shows. "Clarence is frickin awesome!"
I also planned on keeping Netflix.

Thanks for the input so far..much appreciated.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I really like Hulu as it has a lot of good shows. It used to be that you could watch it free with certain programming and could opt to pay for shows on their regular programming without signing up with them.If you like BBC (English shows), check out "Acorn". It's like $5 a month and has a good variety, plus you get a whole free month to try it out . NO commercials either!! Crackle is another freebie, but drives you insane with commercials. Check out " free TV and movie" sites on line. There are really quite a few out there! Lotsa luck!!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

Commercials is a big reason I want out of broadcast tv. Can't stand the mind numbing things...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I have Hulu. Yes, they have commercials, but if you pay an extra 2 or 3 dollars a month, you can have them disabled. It's only $11.99 a month to get service without commercials. I enjoy the service. Though, just like Netflix, not everything is available. I like it because it has TONS of anime.
edit on 15-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Rubicon3

Commercials is a big reason I want out of broadcast tv. Can't stand the mind numbing things...

Well then get ready for the same 4 commercials every 10 minutes with HULU. At least on broadcast there is more variety. I wasn't entirely impressed with Hulu when I was using it. You do have kids though so it might work better for you...

TL
R: Ugh Commercials

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am in the UK, and have unlocated my computer so I get Hulu.

US adverts are very weird and scary especislly the pharmacological ones!

I would definitely pay more money to get rid of it, I just can't cos I don't have an American address. but the TV content is great. Far better than Netflix.

Also if you like WWE I think their network is well worth the money as well.

Does BBC America have adverts? Just asking.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Bbc has plenty of adverts on directv. And Doctor who!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hulu is great.

You get tons of new shows, same day, or next day.

You get a huge chunk of the Criterion Collection.

And you can get SHOWTIME as an add-on. It's cheaper than the SHOWTIME app.

When it comes to old TV shows, and movies, there is some overlap with Netflix. But there's enough original stuff to make it worth your while.

I think the combination of Netflix and HuluPlus (commercial free) will give you more than enough stuff to watch. And if you like SHOWTIME add that.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I to am a DirecTV customer. If it wasn't for my love of sports I would get rid of it!! While my house was being built this summer I went 4 months with Netflix and Hulu. I still like Netflix the best but if you have TV shows that you don't want to wait for then Hulu is the way to go.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
HULU SUCKS..

You should consider downloading TVMC for windows within that program you can add on

genesis
icefilms
phoenix

I use TVMC in my home theater there are countless movies and t.v. shows you can stream
also there are other useful things such as torrent downloaders, if you already have a media library you can download a program that will take out tags spaces and periods misspelled movies and replace them with the real names it will also download artwork and trailers for your collection as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
also TVMC doesn't have commercials or annoying pop ups..

try it you wont regret it.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Oh I guess I should have mentioned you can get TVMC for free no subscriptions.. no pop-ups.. no commercials..

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Buy a Raspberry Pi - all will then be free.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I tried it once, but the hoop wouldn't stay up...I went back to pogo-sticking.

Å99

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

No hulu, but for satellite, I strongly recommend Dish over DT. We had them for years. Dropped because the local cable package was far cheaper, but they have good service. If you want to consider hulu, check and see what is even available first, and be sure it is what you want. Remember, too, that some stations offer the shows the next day, and many do without any paid provider being necessary, though some do not. Netflix is great, too - we love it - because you can see the shows, if willing to wait. All I have done with hulu was watch a little of the free stuff they offered.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join