It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ingestion issue found with V-22s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well I'm convinced. You and a blogger on the Internet decided it sucks so it must. Who cares what the actual operators think, some guy on the Internet knows better.

Like you?

Zap knows a lot more than he can say.
When I was at ED back in 06, I saw the V-22's up close. I remember when
the Viper block 52's came and they have upgraded them waay beyond that.
A fine wine takes time.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Unlike you, I listen to what the actual operators say, instead of someone with a blog.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Dust is a killer on aircraft and helos..Having driven in bulldust here in Auss you lose all sense of where you are going if you are behind someone..Plus it gets in EVERYWHERE and I mean EVERYWHERE...For something as mechanically complicated as the Osprey there will have to be a thorough going through of training procedures for landing in high dust areas..Wet pads might be an answer...
Heres an Ah-1 biting the dust..

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

That was a big issue during the early part of Desert Shield. Dust was getting into everywhere on rotary wing and fixed wing aircraft. They lost a few engines to it until they came up with a solution.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Just had a look at losses via crashes in Afghanistan and the V22 has only had one crash whereas the Chinook and Blackhawk seem to hold the worst records..Down the bottom is a nice table..
Losses
edit on 15-10-2015 by Blackfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

The investigation ruled it pilot error, but now with this, it's possible that it was related to this issue.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConF7
I know this post is a little out of place but I can't find a thread linked to it. Its been in the media recently that a RAF helicopter has crashed whilst flying in Afghanistan killing both pilots. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this whether this was an actual crash or whether it was shot down and if so who by...

Hi ConF7

Sadly both pilots, Flt Lt Geraint Roberts and Flt Lt Alan Scott were killed in the crash, but also 2 US service men and 1 French civilian were also killed in the incident.
I know lots of people at RAF Benson (home to our Puma force) and the word is that the helicopter struck a surveillance balloon cable whilst attempting to land, this was definitely not combat related.

Sad days
Robbie

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Unlike you, I listen to what the actual operators say, instead of someone with a blog.

"Someone with a blog" made perfect common sense on a host of issues about the Osprey.

Issues that will never go away because of inherent design problems.

Like "ingestion" problems which you were quick to cover as a "new" problem.

Same old problem.
edit on 16-10-2015 by intrptr because: portion redacted

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Zap knows a lot more than he can say.

Yes, the official line.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I've read your link 10 or 15 times. Every time there's an Osprey thread it gets posted.

War Is Boring is one of many "expert analysis" sites that thinks new sucks. I haven't seen them yet have anything good to say about a new system.

The link was for others to read.

But I get you need to discredit the truth. Here, for others…

Jack McCain is a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and Navy MH-60 pilot stationed in Guam. His opinions are not those of the U.S. military.

War is boring

Must be why officially, the ATS "Murica" crowd ridicule him.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

- I am more qualified on this topic than the MH-60 pilot.
- The War Is Boring piece is hardly a detailed analysis or the Osprey. The article is comparable to what you would find in a tabloid.

(regardless of whether the Osprey is good or bad)

What I find most amusing is how War-Is-Boring is full of F-22 fanboys.

edit on 16/10/15 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

- I am more qualified on this topic than the MH-60 pilot.

So is my dad. He was an aerodynamic engineer at Lockheed.Ttook me to every airshow, and every time the Osprey demonstrated, he would explain it was a failure conceptually because, its not a plane or a helicopter, its both. And both does neither well.

It was true then, don't see it changing. If hybrid planocopters were viable they would have combined the two long ago.

Doesn't matter anyway…

The Air Force bought just 50 CV-22s, whereas the Marines are getting more than 300. The Marines bet the proverbial farm on the V-22. And with all the CH-46s having left service and no money for a new helicopter, now the Marines are stuck with the V-22.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Oh really, same old problem, then you should be able to show where it's happened before. I'll wait.

Oh right, in your world downdrafts that knock people to the ground is the same as something going through the engine.
edit on 10/16/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

a reply to: C0bzz

.....he would explain it was a failure conceptually because, its not a plane or a helicopter, its both. And both does neither well.

It was true then, don't see it changing. If hybrid planocopters were viable they would have combined the two long ago.

Really? Tell that to the British and the Marine operators of the Harrier. Can land and takes off like helicopter, flies and fights like a jet.

Doesn't matter anyway…

Then why are you here, really? Your not going to win any arguments in here using the sources you have chosen.

Your preaching to the wrong crowd in this forum I'm afraid.
edit on 16-10-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Really? Tell that to the British and the Marine operators of the Harrier. Can land and takes off like helicopter, flies and fights like a jet.

Poor comparison. "Jump jets" are close air support, not troop transport, rescue, or fast rope missions, all miserably performed by the Osprey.

Your preaching to the wrong crowd in this forum I'm afraid.

"This forum" is open to everyone. And you're right, its full of the wrong crowd.

Needs ballast.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The only reason threads like this go on and on is because the Murica crowd hammers on anyone that goes against the official line.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

And the operators seem to disagree with you. But you have a guy with a blog to tell them how wrong they are.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

The reason threads like this go on and on is because people discuss things. This has nothing to do with the "Murica crowd". It has to do with your source being dead set against anything new and being wrong. I've actually agreed with some of the this they've said on that blog in the past. But in this case, as with many others, people on the sharp end, as well as the data show he's wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

a reply to: Sammamishman

Poor comparison. "Jump jets" are close air support, not troop transport, rescue, or fast rope missions, all miserably performed by the Osprey.

But that is not the comparison you made was it. You stated:

If hybrid planocopters were viable they would have combined the two long ago.

The Harrier is a perfectly fine rebuttal to your assumption. It can perform like a helicopter admirably, it can perform like an airplane admirably. It is both viable AND was combined long ago.
I don't see in your original post where you put restraints on the roll being performed. Do you?

I don't believe this forum needs ballast, it has factual threads and a plethora of knowledgeable individuals in all sorts of aviation relates field, giving well thought out and engaging answers.

What it does need however are less trolls.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join