It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a problem...with headphones!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I thought this was a headphone thread.

Can you say "Beltone"?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: gentledissident

I know a guy who put a crack in a cement wall using peavy black widows.

I jammed in an empty warehouse with a miked drummer. My Peavey Studio Pro 40 was a little over halfway up. Everyone could hear me fine.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

It does a great job as a preamp. The speaker unplugs easily.

As an amp, it's compact and loud. I don't need external effects.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Well, I've been breaking in the P5's some more, there's a lot of people who claim you need to "burn in" your headphones, and there are people who claim that's just superstition.

I think that there "might" be something to do with the diaphragm loosening up a bit, but I think it has more to do with you getting more used to the sound.

The biggest problem I have with the P5's is that they slide around on my head if I bend over lol.

I feel asleep last night with them for about 3 hours, woke up and my ears didn't hurt at all -- and that's saying something.

I'm wondering at a certain point just how "good" something can sound, or if it's just psychological. I mean, did the original recordings/production of the music contain so much more that even $300 headphones in lossless or direct CD listening can't hear? Does an expensive external DAC/amp and a pair of $1200 headphones "reveal" that much more? I mean, are the musicians and producers actually paying that much detail to the music, knowing that 99% of the public will never hear it that way?

It seems like diminishing returns after a certain point for me?

I'm looking at recording equipment myself, and I'm wondering just how expensive I have to go to get that "pro" sound. The Scarlett Solo or 2i2 looks like a solid USB interface, but then there's the Focusrite Forte and Apogee Duet -- both are almost 3 times as much. Is my voice going to sound three times as good?!

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I spend very little money on audio equipment, but I do a lot with it. I appreciate the Bose system in my car, but I think there's a point where the money is wasted.
Do Coat Hangers Sound As Good Monster Cables?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Like I said earlier, I think good quality stuff only sounds good if you know how to properly use it.

Although I will say, back in the day Alpine made KILLER car audio gear. When I sold my car, I took all the speakers and HU out of it lol. So I still have my old Alpine gear. Now that Best Buy sells it, I've noticed their quality has gone downhill and they're relying on their reputation and name.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I gotta admit, I've wondered why I've never aspired to be an audiophile. I've managed to come across some nice low end consumer stuff, but have never longed for anything more. I've been around other musicians who are the same way. I wonder what's wrong with us. LOL

However, I can tell a band how to fix their mix on stage and who's out of tune. I'm not the guy who's loud mouthing. I get thanked for the help.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

When I've mastered my own stuff, I'll spend HOURS tweaking things that I doubt anyone else would notice. Granted, you can't really master much with Garageband...lol

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Wee! I just scored the older Apogee Duet on ebay! It's used...but it looks like it's in good condition.

First part down...
edit on 18-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Yes they are a great practice amp with a preamp out socket. An ex guitarist always carried one around in the boot of his car just in case. Robust.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Nice... and midi in out too i see....

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR
Nice gear, I offer to help beat up the thief if u ever find out... A$$h0Les... and just before a gig too... now where did that b string go!!! haha been there.. hence my #2....
Never got a chance to try out the MTD's , not a lot of stuff gets over here to west coast oz, (and pre ebuy dayz), your current one looks a beauty, with enough scars to call a bitch im sure! and gentlemen prefer 'blondes' i believe...

but those days are past. I'm paycheck to paycheck these days. I'm excited when I buy new strings.

I hear u mate!!!... Im just lucky Im a hoarder...
The valve trace elliot stuff is nice (i gotta Hexa), the solid state stuff is a little too 80's sounding for me (and i mean the bad 80's)... I cant recommend the Marshall 7400's enough though (with basically a second power-supply that kicks in when needed) Tube pre and S/S power stages. (the hexxa is far too delicate for road use methinx)
Cheers...Yes there is a hard floor in the studio, but with a 'scalloped' kind of ceiling with adjustable absorption stuff (big solid Jarrah wood beams etc), and some carpet mats that the amps sit on (and in front of), You might just see the drum riser thingy too which can act as a big kick drum resonator. Kinda all adjustable and moveable depending on how I feel. (or how sludgey we want to get) Im lucky that its one of those rooms that sounds right even just with a couple of mics picking up ambient, almost self mixing at times.

edit on C2015vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 18 Oct 2015 04:38:11 -050031AM4America/Chicago10 by CovertAgenda because: spelling

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

My keyboard has MIDI in/out since it's a MIDI controller. I wonder if it can somehow be used with that interface? I have the M-Audio Axiom 49:

I usually just plug the USB directly into the computer and use a program like GarageBand with simulated instruments to play anything.

I guess since the most recent OSX update Apogee stopped "supporting" the interface, but apparently people are saying it still works -- the company just won't provide any technical support if anything goes wrong. So for now, and $170 with shipping, I'll have a good preamp/interface until I can get a newer one.

I've decided to go with the new, 2014 Rhode NT1:

I guess it's a step up from the older one. It has a really, really flat frequency response:

I think then I'll use one of these highpass filters with it as well. ACX (the Amazon company that hires audiobook narrators) recommends them. They're supposed to help cut down on unwanted noise:

Get myself some auralex, moving blankets, bass traps for the corners of the room...

edit on 18-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Looks like your well on the way to a killa cost effective solution... the NT1s look nice in black(gunmetal whatever rather than gold)

Dont forget that MIDI is really like an electronic pianoroll, you can send from the axiom into your duet, and into your mac, and use garageband to convert into sound (or direct to mp3 etc (and btw garageband is a great app...my drummer uses it exclusively... I dont know enough about it as i dont use apple products)

Im pretty sure that you can do the bandpass filters/compressors, eq's etc from within garageband. (plugins maybe?)

Remember....Record as cleanly as possible without overloading and at the highest quality/resolution....then tweak to your hearts content within the app.... and save,,,save...save!

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
Wot... the hearing aid company?

LOL

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yup, I've got an external hard drive and a network attached drive as well!

The hardest part believe it or not is going to be for me to make ROOM for all of this LOL. My place is 753 sq. ft!

Back to headphones...

Has anyone had any luck getting in-ear headphones to fit? I can never find a pair that fits both of my ears well enough to sound good...I've tried all the various sized tips but I think I just have weird ears. I hear there are in-ear monitors that are molded specially for you, and I might try that someday.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I know it sounds silly, but just remember with most in-ears the cord goes (down/out) then over the top of the ears (between ear n head) and out back.... also acts as a strain relief.... and somewhere to hide the gaffa tape...lol
Or follow the manufacturers instructions...
Some hearing aid/noise supression / personal monitor companies will mould an insert to suit.... but they will require your ears for 15 mins or so.... so unfortunately ebay is out...lol

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.....
edit on C2015vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 19 Oct 2015 01:33:06 -050031AM1America/Chicago10 by CovertAgenda because: xtra

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
You can kind of make your own if you have the kind that has the rubber tips. You can take those off and buy this putty that softens in the microwave in a bowl of water. Once its soft, push the stuff around the headphone part, and plug it into your ears to fit...wait to cool, walah!

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This is my day-to-day stereo...

i15.photobucket.com...

...been at it for a while.

The Arcam DAC has added a little twinkle.

Surprised no one commented on the album I posted.
edit on 20-10-2015 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Alright...

I'm back...been recording and doing audio books now for a bit. I actually now have a FEW headphones I use :-P

For tracking (speaking into the microphone) I've been using the AKG 271 MKII's :

They are completely and utterly BORING and FLAT. Great for voice though! They don't exaggerate in any way, or flatter yourself. Not good for general music listening at all. One cool thing? The strap that goes over your head is self-adjusting and connected to a switch. When you take the headphones off, it mutes them -- so the microphone won't pick up any noise from them. With the velour pads, I can sit in front of the mic for HOURS without fatigue. I've heard people say the Beyerdynamic's are comfy...but they can't possibly be!

Now for editing and mastering, I just got a pair of ATH-M70x's (Audio Technica) today. HOLY CRAP. I love these things! They're also neutral and flat, but not nearly as flat as the AKG's. They sound...GOOD. Tight, controlled bass where it should be, full mid-range, and sparking highs that reveal detail:

They are, after all, designed to be used for mastering/monitoring -- which is probably why I like them. I've been comparing my microphones back and forth, and I can hear more of a difference using these headphones. I can also dial in some of the plugins inside of Logic Pro with more accuracy.

I simply can't use a pair of studio monitors...I don't have the room for a worthwhile pair, and my place is so small I'm lucky to have the tiny recording/vocal area I do.

I was using a D87, which is a "clone built to the exact specs, using the exact parts as a "vintage" Neumann U87. A guy in Cali hand made it for me. It sounds really good...styroflex capacitors and a Cinemag transformer...has the U87 capsule and the period appropriate PCB board.

For audio books though, I've been finding that a dynamic mic like my RE-20 seems to be a little easier to work with. Ya, I did have fun with some filters, but here's what I've been sitting in front of:

You can't see it...but I have huge foam bass traps in all the corners, and just about every surface I can adhere acoustic foam to, has it LOL. I just hope that spray adhesive will come off when I move...

Anyway, HIGHLY reccomend the Audio Technica headphones. The next step down, the M50x are supposedly a little more "exciting" and better for music, cheaper too. Apparently they're super popular and a great deal for the price...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join