It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: jacobe001

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: vjr1113

China is a good example of capitalism's failures.

Sweat shops. Those hard workers, as MM said, get screwed.

www.nytimes.com...

China’s Great Uprooting: Moving 250 Million Into Cities

The Chinese Government stole millions of their own citizens land and moved them to the cities to go make widgets for a dollar a day.

This is what the cheerleaders of Walmart like.
In this Corporate Globalist Utopia, if you of the working class, out of 6 billion people, if you make more than a dollar an hour, you are overpaid

If you are of the Capitalist Class, if you make less than a 1000 an hour you are underpaid.

I don't like Wal-mart. I don't own their stock. I don't shop at their stores. However, my OP is pointing out that the stupidity of paying minimum wage employees a 'living wage' is pie in the sky liberal stupidity.

People need to stop making excuses and be responsible for where they are in life.

No the stupidity is that the Republicans/right wingers keep supporting corporate welfare. Accept where you are in life and realize that you are a greedy ass.

YOU are the one advocating for taking what other people have earned. That is greedy to think you are entitled to someone else's money. Accept that you are greedy ass liberal.

The Republicans have given more away to corporations and millionaires than democrats ever have thought of. I don't want your money, don't need it, make my own. Recognize corporate f'n greed for what it is, and stop giving billionaires tax breaks. You and the Koch brothers are one in the same. Asshats all around.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The CEO of Wal-Mart got paid $25.6 million dollars last year, I'm sure he could lower his pay rate by half and still live better than 99% of the people in America right now and still be able to afford anything he could want. But you know, people are greedy and want more money than they could ever spend while they wipe the crumbs off the table for the plebes below them.

But that's capitalism for you. The poor are the issue, not the ones who are hoarding all the money for themselves.

Give me a break.

The people who get paid minimum wage at Wal-Mart bust their asses way harder than that CEO, but they get paid a fraction of a fraction of what he gets paid. But again, that's capitalism, the hardest workers get paid the least while those who push paper get paid the most.

People who bust their asses for minimum wage don't have to deal with angry Communists like you. That deserves hazard pay in my opinion.

Really that is all you got, hazard pay. What did that CEO done, that I haven't done in my life? Be the lucky sperm? I have made what would be considered a boatload of cash, and have worked for minimum wage, and lots of wages in between. So because of that, I am a communist, even though I am a veteran, have worked since I was 15, paid my taxes, given to charity, real charities (You never answered that question), adjusted my lifestyle to live within my means. All of that means, because you are this beacon of F'n capitalism, I am somewhat less of human being than you are?

CEOs either worked their way up the corporate ladder or founded the company. Either way they deserve the rewards of working hard and putting up with the morons. Now, a lot of CEOs are sociopaths, but that isn't against the law.

Really? A ceo gets fired from one company for being an asshat, and within weeks get's hired by another, you really going to tell me that it is that simple.

People with that level of training and expertise are in high demand. Also, no one cares if a CEO is an asshat if he is making money and increasing corporate profits.

Regardless, I am not a CEO nor do I desire to be one. Can you imagine being an CEO and having to deal with yourself? It would be horrible.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Someone who knows how to play poker can use their knowledge to be a good poker player, that doesn't negate the fact that they're still gambling.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

The Chinese Government stole millions of their own citizens land and moved them to the cities to go make widgets for a dollar a day.

In this Corporate Globalist Utopia, if you of the working class, out of 6 billion people, if you make more than a dollar an hour, you are overpaid

If you are of the Capitalist Class, if you make less than a 1000 an hour you are underpaid.

I don't like Wal-mart. I don't own their stock. I don't shop at their stores. However, my OP is pointing out that the stupidity of paying minimum wage employees a 'living wage' is pie in the sky liberal stupidity.

People need to stop making excuses and be responsible for where they are in life.

No the stupidity is that the Republicans/right wingers keep supporting corporate welfare. Accept where you are in life and realize that you are a greedy ass.

YOU are the one advocating for taking what other people have earned. That is greedy to think you are entitled to someone else's money. Accept that you are greedy ass liberal.

The Republicans have given more away to corporations and millionaires than democrats ever have thought of. I don't want your money, don't need it, make my own. Recognize corporate f'n greed for what it is, and stop giving billionaires tax breaks. You and the Koch brothers are one in the same. Asshats all around.

Sounds like you have a problem with the Republicans. I am a registered Libertarian so maybe you need to take it up with the Koch brothers (I have no affiliation with them) or the Republicans. I am neither.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Someone who knows how to play poker can use their knowledge to be a good poker player, that doesn't negate the fact that they're still gambling.

That is because they are good at reading people not because they can predict what cards are going to be drawn. It isn't the same, but you already know that don't you?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I started at minimum wage at a fast food restaurant in 1976, you know, that entry level job geared towards high school kids and non-skilled labor. I worked my way up through supervisor, shift lead, all while a student at the local CC. When an asst. manager slot came up, I put school on hold while learning how to operate a med. volume store--a viable skill and good on a resume. 1 1/2 years later, I was offered a managers slot, which paid a decent salary plus insurance, sick and vac. Fast forward 15 years later, I groveled at the bank, secured loans, and bought a franchised unit. It took 8 years of 60-70 hour work weeks, scrimping on housing, transportation, and living costs to make it a success. I now own 3 locations, employ 80 people, and pay $11 per hour on all new hires, more if they have experience in our realm.

I realize that my employees struggle at times to survive in this economy, and encourage them to further gain skills or education(which I pay for for my key employees), and prod them to gain a skill set to make their work financially viable. For my FT employees, I pay med/dent. insurance, sick and vac, quarterly bonus system, quarterly raise reviews, and performance bonuses. Bottom like, those that help my business grow get compensated and rewarded. I want those that work for me, those that want to succeed and better their lives, to do just that, and I will help them up that ladder in any way I can.

The problem with mega corporations like Walmart is the inability to enact work structures like mine and other small businesses, and those shining stars that have the aptitude and ability to go up the ladder gets lost in the shuffle. The pettiness and advancement games that take place in places like Walmart are deathtraps for those who don't work the system, or whose efforts are stolen in other's names, or stifled to go unnoticed. It's all about numbers and quotas, all faces are the same.

Could Walmart pay $10 an hour and remain in business? Absolutely. Would it piss off shareholders and devalue stock? Probably. The potential fallout would most likely include terminating mediocre employees, streamlining schedules, and tightening up the vetting process of new hires, taking only the best of the crop of applications. This will further the unemployment of the low-skilled labor force. In the end, Walmart would gain positive feedback from the public, but current and future employees would suffer in light of the steps Walmart would enact to mitigate the increase in payroll. Just my .02.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Yet them reading other players is still part of the game, that's the "mathematics" of poker/stock market. What cards are drawn are the "outside forces" of poker/stock market.

There's no difference. Those who buy stock are hoping that their ability to read other players won't be affected by the hand they draw.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

You should know I also don't give a rats butt about Wal-mart, but this thread is about the stupid policy of paying people more than their labor is worth and the detrimental effects of its implementation.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The stock market is the biggest scam of all. It's basically legal gambling, except when the gambler loses it doesn't just hurt the one gambling, it hurts everyone else in the process.

You say a person's wage is a reflection of their work ethic and worth, yet the stock market goes against that logic in every way. Stockholders don't work for anything, they just gamble for a living.

You are investing in companies and their future success. If you are just throwing darts at a board and investing then you are gambling. I take it you don't have a business degree. If you do you should get a refund.

Lots of folks with business degrees lost money in the last Bush related recession.

Yes, they did. However, I was speaking to your lack of understanding of the stock market or at least pretending that you don't understand how it works.

You seem to seriously underestimate my intelligence. I am 55 years old, am a veteran, and have held a variety of jobs over the years, some white collar, some blue collar. I really don't have a lack of understanding of anything I am interested in, as I spend about 17 hours a day in front of a screen, I can research what I want. Unlike you, Faux news affects my opinions in no way, Rush Limbaugh has no influence on my opinions, and the religious d-bags can kiss my ass. You seem to have some pretty strong opinions based on air, while I can back mine with a boatload of evidence. You want to go to war, bring it on, I will destroy you, with nothing more than facts.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

We can agree to disagree. I don't really give a crap what you think investing is and how good you are at poker. It isn't relevant to this discussion and I can see we won't get anywhere with further discussion.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The stock market is the biggest scam of all. It's basically legal gambling, except when the gambler loses it doesn't just hurt the one gambling, it hurts everyone else in the process.

You say a person's wage is a reflection of their work ethic and worth, yet the stock market goes against that logic in every way. Stockholders don't work for anything, they just gamble for a living.

You are investing in companies and their future success. If you are just throwing darts at a board and investing then you are gambling. I take it you don't have a business degree. If you do you should get a refund.

Lots of folks with business degrees lost money in the last Bush related recession.

Yes, they did. However, I was speaking to your lack of understanding of the stock market or at least pretending that you don't understand how it works.

You seem to seriously underestimate my intelligence. I am 55 years old, am a veteran, and have held a variety of jobs over the years, some white collar, some blue collar. I really don't have a lack of understanding of anything I am interested in, as I spend about 17 hours a day in front of a screen, I can research what I want. Unlike you, Faux news affects my opinions in no way, Rush Limbaugh has no influence on my opinions, and the religious d-bags can kiss my ass. You seem to have some pretty strong opinions based on air, while I can back mine with a boatload of evidence. You want to go to war, bring it on, I will destroy you, with nothing more than facts.

You seem to think I care. Regardless, you obviously have no idea who I am either or how hard I have worked to be where I am. I don't listen to Limbaugh. I hate Republicans. I don't like religious people. Clearly you don't know crap about me either not that it matters.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Are you saying the CEO's labor is worth $25 million a year? What does he do that is THAT much harder than what a minimum wage Wal-Mart worker does? He gets paid more in one hour than a full time Wal-Mart employee gets paid in an entire year. How is that fair?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

10 years ago I risked everything to start my first company. Now I employ people and have five different businesses. All it takes is a little ingenuity and hard work and you can better your situation. I am not special and if I can do it anyone can do it that isn't a lazy leeching fool.

ETA: Oh, and I did it with $800 loan from my father. I didn't have a lot of money just an idea.

So basically, you are saying you got a handout from daddy. Must have been nice to have that kind of support. Now, if you had started out as a homeless 16 year old with just the clothes on your back, then I might consider the fact that it was hard work. Why didn't you work for that $800 instead of bumming it of daddy. Even if you paid it back, and I am sure you did, I don't think you realize you had more help than anyone getting help from the government.
edit on 10/14/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

10 years ago I risked everything to start my first company. Now I employ people and have five different businesses. All it takes is a little ingenuity and hard work and you can better your situation. I am not special and if I can do it anyone can do it that isn't a lazy leeching fool.

ETA: Oh, and I did it with $800 loan from my father. I didn't have a lot of money just an idea.

So basically, you are saying you got a handout from daddy. Must have been nice to have that kind of support. Now, if you had started out as a homeless 16 year old with just the clothes on your back, then I might consider the fact that it was hard work. Why didn't you work for that $800 instead of bumming it of daddy. Even if you paid it back, and i am sure you did, I don't think you realize you had more help than anyone getting help from the government.

I am sorry if your parents didn't love you. Maybe that explains your current life.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Are you saying the CEO's labor is worth $25 million a year? What does he do that is THAT much harder than what a minimum wage Wal-Mart worker does? He gets paid more in one hour than a full time Wal-Mart employee gets paid in an entire year. How is that fair?

I don't know what they are worth, but I doubt either of us could do the job. I can't hit a major league curve ball either. Sometimes people make money because of a particular rare skill set. It's life.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I'm sure 26 million helps to wash the horrible away, also if you think the stock market is not gambling whether reading a player or reading the market..well I just don't even know what to say.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

If you don't know how much a CEO is worth then how can you claim to know that a regular Wal-Mart employee isn't worth $10 an hour?

I can assure you, a CEO isn't worth more in one hour than an employee is in an entire year. That's freaking bonkers if you think so. If not, where's your outrage over that?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

You seem to think I care. Regardless, you obviously have no idea who I am either or how hard I have worked to be where I am. I don't listen to Limbaugh. I hate Republicans. I don't like religious people. Clearly you don't know crap about me either not that it matters.

So you are just an "I got mine, now you get your's" asshat in the world. We could really be a better place without people like you.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

If you don't know how much a CEO is worth then how can you claim to know that a regular Wal-Mart employee isn't worth $10 an hour?

I can assure you, a CEO isn't worth more in one hour than an employee is in an entire year. That's freaking bonkers if you think so. If not, where's your outrage over that?

I don't know what they are worth, but the free market does.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So you are just an "I got mine, now you get your's" asshat in the world. We could really be a better place without people like you.

So you are just an "I don't agree with you so you need to die asshat". You sound like a Nazi.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join