It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
$10 an hour * 40 hours a week = $1733.33 USD a month before taxes.

Taxation, here in America through sales tax, federal tax, state taxes amounts to a minimum of 40% up to 50% of most worker's wages who file a standard exemption tax forms.

Let's use 40% for purposes of illustration.

The standard US worker's working at minimum wage to about $1040.00 per month after all taxes are paid.

If they are lucky.

A quick look in Los Angeles on Craigslist for a roommate situation in a bare bones living situation is at the very least - on the extreme - $500 USD a month + utilities. In Portland it's $400 a month. In San Antonio it's $375 a month. In Baltimore it's $550 a month. All + utilities. Utilities for these places - which at the very least include electricity, water, sewer typically range in the neighborhood of $100 per person, add internet it goes up a tad more.

So let's just say - average for BARE minimum living across the United States, which varies by location, is $550 a month with utilities.

Doing the math, you $1040 - $550 = $490.

Food and incidentals (shampoo, detergent, etc), for a single person living extremely frugally in the United States typically ranges in the neighborhood of $200.

So doing the math, ON minimum wage, you're now at $290 a month.

For a full transportation pass - transportation by bus or metro will wind up costing you $100 a month on most major cities to get to and from your destination.

So that's now at $190 a month extra left over.

Now.. Oh wait. We have health insurance. $40 bucks a month.

That's now $150 a month left over. Which leaves nothing if the employee actually has to see a doctor because of the copay for it. And oh yeah, god forbid you have to get any prescriptions.

So now, as a worker at Wal Mart or any minimum wage company, if you're single you're left with $150 a month for the absolute minimums.

You don't have a car with this income. You use public transportation. and you have barely enough left over to catch any unforeseen expenses. The income level is more than fair for those receiving it, it provides a sleight reward to them by encouraging their independence from their family, but it doesn't reward them too much which acts as motivation to them to pursue more lucrative career options or stay at this lifestyle and 'class level'.

Wal-Mart has arguably driven up costs of living across the nation by driving out competition and then elevating their prices accordingly once they seized market share. That level of profitability isn't sustainable, not without the company giving back to the community, with the exception of Chinese manufacturers, WalMart has arguably not done significantly enough to support the community it's profiting from.

So the community reacts.

What's this about communism?

This is a simple capitalistic free market response to communistic forces trying to deflate our market.

Macro and Microeconomics. Marvelous classes and education I highly suggest receiving an education in before placing further propaganda like this on civilized western society based forums.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: vjr1113
ok so lets go into this utopian fantasy. suddenly everyone can go to college and start their own business. everyone now has their own wallmart but no one to run it, no employees. then what happens?

I have employees, but I didn't create entry level jobs. My employees make between $25 - 32.50 an hour.

I actually work for a CPA, and we do the books for a lot of small businesses. If all of your employees make that kind of coin, you are paying extremely well, farming out the low paying stuff, or lying your ass off. No small business has every employee making that kind of coin. There are all kinds of 12 buck an hour admin jobs in every small business.

I hire day labor for a lot of my jobs. My full-time guys do my specialty work.

So who does your books, who pays your bills, you paying the taxes you owe, or just not bothering to keep track of that stuff?

ETA: Do you have W2 employees, or playing the 1099 game, so that all of the employer responsibility lies on them. Do you offer health benefits, do you offer any benefits?
edit on 10/14/2015 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Walmart and the shareholders who back it are the biggest Communist of them all, in bed with Communist China.
Pot, kettle black

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bgregory
$10 an hour * 40 hours a week = $1733.33 USD a month before taxes.

Taxation, here in America through sales tax, federal tax, state taxes amounts to a minimum of 40% up to 50% of most worker's wages who file a standard exemption tax forms.

Let's use 40% for purposes of illustration.

The standard US worker's working at minimum wage to about $1040.00 per month after all taxes are paid.

If they are lucky.

A quick look in Los Angeles on Craigslist for a roommate situation in a bare bones living situation is at the very least - on the extreme - $500 USD a month + utilities. In Portland it's $400 a month. In San Antonio it's $375 a month. In Baltimore it's $550 a month. All + utilities. Utilities for these places - which at the very least include electricity, water, sewer typically range in the neighborhood of $100 per person, add internet it goes up a tad more.

So let's just say - average for BARE minimum living across the United States, which varies by location, is $550 a month with utilities.

Doing the math, you $1040 - $550 = $490.

Food and incidentals (shampoo, detergent, etc), for a single person living extremely frugally in the United States typically ranges in the neighborhood of $200.

So doing the math, ON minimum wage, you're now at $290 a month.

For a full transportation pass - transportation by bus or metro will wind up costing you $100 a month on most major cities to get to and from your destination.

So that's now at $190 a month extra left over.

Now.. Oh wait. We have health insurance. $40 bucks a month.

That's now $150 a month left over. Which leaves nothing if the employee actually has to see a doctor because of the copay for it. And oh yeah, god forbid you have to get any prescriptions.

So now, as a worker at Wal Mart or any minimum wage company, if you're single you're left with $150 a month for the absolute minimums.

You don't have a car with this income. You use public transportation. and you have barely enough left over to catch any unforeseen expenses. The income level is more than fair for those receiving it, it provides a sleight reward to them by encouraging their independence from their family, but it doesn't reward them too much which acts as motivation to them to pursue more lucrative career options or stay at this lifestyle and 'class level'.

Wal-Mart has arguably driven up costs of living across the nation by driving out competition and then elevating their prices accordingly once they seized market share. That level of profitability isn't sustainable, not without the company giving back to the community, with the exception of Chinese manufacturers, WalMart has arguably not done significantly enough to support the community it's profiting from.

So the community reacts.

What's this about communism?

This is a simple capitalistic free market response to communistic forces trying to deflate our market.

Macro and Microeconomics. Marvelous classes and education I highly suggest receiving an education in before placing further propaganda like this on civilized western society based forums.

You are pretty much smoking crack, at those income levels, outside of personal property and sales tax, social security and medicare, these folks pay no income tax, and in fact a lot of them, even as individuals qualify for EIC. Do they pay taxes, yes, do they pay the 40 - 50 % you are claiming, you are seriously smoking dope.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The CEO of Wal-Mart got paid $25.6 million dollars last year, I'm sure he could lower his pay rate by half and still live better than 99% of the people in America right now and still be able to afford anything he could want. But you know, people are greedy and want more money than they could ever spend while they wipe the crumbs off the table for the plebes below them.

But that's capitalism for you. The poor are the issue, not the ones who are hoarding all the money for themselves.

Give me a break.

The people who get paid minimum wage at Wal-Mart bust their asses way harder than that CEO, but they get paid a fraction of a fraction of what he gets paid. But again, that's capitalism, the hardest workers get paid the least while those who push paper get paid the most.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The CEO of Wal-Mart got paid $25.6 million dollars last year, I'm sure he could lower his pay rate by half and still live better than 99% of the people in America right now and still be able to afford anything he could want. But you know, people are greedy and want more money than they could ever spend while they wipe the crumbs off the table for the plebes below them.

But that's capitalism for you. The poor are the issue, not the ones who are hoarding all the money for themselves.

Give me a break.

The people who get paid minimum wage at Wal-Mart bust their asses way harder than that CEO, but they get paid a fraction of a fraction of what he gets paid. But again, that's capitalism, the hardest workers get paid the least while those who push paper get paid the most.

People who bust their asses for minimum wage don't have to deal with angry Communists like you. That deserves hazard pay in my opinion.
edit on 2015/10/14 by Metallicus because: Fixed There to Their.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The stock market is the biggest scam of all. It's basically legal gambling, except when the gambler loses it doesn't just hurt the one gambling, it hurts everyone else in the process.

You say a person's wage is a reflection of their work ethic and worth, yet the stock market goes against that logic in every way. Stockholders don't work for anything, they just gamble for a living.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: vjr1113

China is a good example of capitalism's failures.

Sweat shops. Those hard workers, as MM said, get screwed.

www.nytimes.com...

China’s Great Uprooting: Moving 250 Million Into Cities

The Chinese Government stole millions of their own citizens land and moved them to the cities to go make widgets for a dollar a day.

This is what the cheerleaders of Walmart like.
In this Corporate Globalist Utopia, if you of the working class, out of 6 billion people, if you make more than a dollar an hour, you are overpaid

If you are of the Capitalist Class, if you make less than a 1000 an hour you are underpaid.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

The stock market is the biggest scam of all. It's basically legal gambling, except when the gambler loses it doesn't just hurt the one gambling, it hurts everyone else in the process.

You say a person's wage is a reflection of their work ethic and worth, yet the stock market goes against that logic in every way. Stockholders don't work for anything, they just gamble for a living.

You are investing in companies and their future success. If you are just throwing darts at a board and investing then you are gambling. I take it you don't have a business degree. If you do you should get a refund.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Give me a break.

People who bust their asses for minimum wage don't have to deal with angry Communists like you. That deserves hazard pay in my opinion.

Really that is all you got, hazard pay. What did that CEO done, that I haven't done in my life? Be the lucky sperm? I have made what would be considered a boatload of cash, and have worked for minimum wage, and lots of wages in between. So because of that, I am a communist, even though I am a veteran, have worked since I was 15, paid my taxes, given to charity, real charities (You never answered that question), adjusted my lifestyle to live within my means. All of that means, because you are this beacon of F'n capitalism, I am somewhat less of human being than you are?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

www.nytimes.com...

The Chinese Government stole millions of their own citizens land and moved them to the cities to go make widgets for a dollar a day.

In this Corporate Globalist Utopia, if you of the working class, out of 6 billion people, if you make more than a dollar an hour, you are overpaid

If you are of the Capitalist Class, if you make less than a 1000 an hour you are underpaid.

I don't like Wal-mart. I don't own their stock. I don't shop at their stores. However, my OP is pointing out that the stupidity of paying minimum wage employees a 'living wage' is pie in the sky liberal stupidity.

People need to stop making excuses and be responsible for where they are in life.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Communist? Is that supposed to hurt my feelings?

Why don't we focus on the real issue here: those at the top hoarding all the money for themselves while getting people to blame those at the bottom.

I read a quote not too long ago: "we're being taught to hate downwards", meaning we're placing blame on the poor instead of the ones who make them poor.

Like I said, Wal-Mart's CEO could still live just as lavish of a lifestyle with half the money he makes now, but when it comes to greed, that's not an option. Let's put all the burden on the poor so we can get ours, right? They're not worth the dirt under our feet.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

You are investing in companies and their future success. If you are just throwing darts at a board and investing then you are gambling. I take it you don't have a business degree. If you do you should get a refund.

Lots of folks with business degrees lost money in the last Bush related recession.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Give me a break.

Really that is all you got, hazard pay. What did that CEO done, that I haven't done in my life? Be the lucky sperm? I have made what would be considered a boatload of cash, and have worked for minimum wage, and lots of wages in between. So because of that, I am a communist, even though I am a veteran, have worked since I was 15, paid my taxes, given to charity, real charities (You never answered that question), adjusted my lifestyle to live within my means. All of that means, because you are this beacon of F'n capitalism, I am somewhat less of human being than you are?

CEOs either worked their way up the corporate ladder or founded the company. Either way they deserve the rewards of working hard and putting up with the morons. Now, a lot of CEOs are sociopaths, but that isn't against the law.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

I don't like Wal-mart. I don't own their stock. I don't shop at their stores. However, my OP is pointing out that the stupidity of paying minimum wage employees a 'living wage' is pie in the sky liberal stupidity.

People need to stop making excuses and be responsible for where they are in life.

No the stupidity is that the Republicans/right wingers keep supporting corporate welfare. Accept where you are in life and realize that you are a greedy ass.

link   

Lots of folks with business degrees lost money in the last Bush related recession.

Yes, they did. However, I was speaking to your lack of understanding of the stock market or at least pretending that you don't understand how it works.

link   

And what is investing? A form of gambling. It's a game of chance. People who invest in stock are no different from someone who sits at a casino table and hopes the house doesn't win. You don't need a business degree to realize that. No one can predict the future, not even stockholders, thus it's gambling.

link   

www.nytimes.com...

No the stupidity is that the Republicans/right wingers keep supporting corporate welfare. Accept where you are in life and realize that you are a greedy ass.

YOU are the one advocating for taking what other people have earned. That is greedy to think you are entitled to someone else's money. Accept that you are greedy ass liberal.
edit on 2015/10/14 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Give me a break.

CEOs either worked their way up the corporate ladder or founded the company. Either way they deserve the rewards of working hard and putting up with the morons. Now, a lot of CEOs are sociopaths, but that isn't against the law.

Really? A ceo gets fired from one company for being an asshat, and within weeks get's hired by another, you really going to tell me that it is that simple.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

And what is investing? A form of gambling. It's a game of chance. People who invest in stock are no different from someone who sits at a casino table and hopes the house doesn't win. You don't need a business degree to realize that. No one can predict the future, not even stockholders, thus it's gambling.

I can make a lot of money in the market by applying mathematics and analytics. They train you to do this in business school which you obviously didn't attend.

This does not protect you from external forces such as demand in China and the outbreak of war, but it does allow you to make educated guesses in regards to which companies will be successful moving forward.

I have no way of predicting where the roulette wheel will land.
edit on 2015/10/14 by Metallicus because: Added last sentence

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join