It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: EternalSolace
No one should just be given food, water, and a home. We have enough resources to end homelessness, poverty, and hunger 15x over, but we don't do it. We don't demand it. No one is entitled to the basic provisions of life.

The life working at McDonalds just doesn't equal the life of the CEO or Boardmembersof McDonald's. The life of that waitress just isn't worth the life of that computer programmer. That's why we will never end those issues.

You would allow people to suffer or starve, because of your view on what they are worth? Who died, and made you god?

People are responsible for themselves. It isn't my job to save everyone.

I ain't Jesus.

I ain't Jesus either, don't even believe in him, however societies are judged by how they treat those that are unable to take care of themselves and the elderly, how does that fit in your little rant?
edit on 10/14/2015 by BubbaJoe because: because I can't type when I am pissed at idiots

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm not being sexist, but well, who do you see more of filling these low wage jobs, men or women? heck I've watched them bring a man into my shop that had absolutely no experience in the field, and be given a starting wage more than I was making, and not only could I do his job, but I could do just about every job in the place! matter of fact, I was filling in doing his job before he was hired, and I was switched back over to doing his job after he slipped on the ice and "hurt his back" and was supposedly home on workmen's comp although he was working at the auto shop that sold my husband a van when we went to pick it up without any sign of any pain whatsoever.
we are just discussing who is working harder, and I have to tell ya, some of these lower paying jobs are much more labor intensive than many of the higher paying ones. and, I've got to say, probably most of the women are working longer hours than most of the men do when you include the work they do at home!!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

No one should just be given food, water, and a home. We have enough resources to end homelessness, poverty, and hunger 15x over, but we don't do it. We don't demand it. No one is entitled to the basic provisions of life.

The life working at McDonalds just doesn't equal the life of the CEO or Boardmembersof McDonald's. The life of that waitress just isn't worth the life of that computer programmer. That's why we will never end those issues.

You would allow people to suffer or starve, because of your view on what they are worth? Who died, and made you god?

People are responsible for themselves. It isn't my job to save everyone.

I ain't Jesus.

I ain't Jesus either, don't even believe in him, however societies are judged by how they treat those that are unable to take care of themselves and the elderly, how does that fit in your little rant?

I ain't society either.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Read into my post a little bit more and you'll come to understand its meaning.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Increasing wages will not solve anything.

Sorry. It won't.

Because things that you buy, or services you buy will keep increasing. Won't matter if you start someone out at 15 dollars an hour, because, quicker than you can blink your eye, the cost of everything will go up, as it always has, and will continue to do so.

Meaning that the wage increase pretty much did NOTHING in the long run.

Giving more money to people is meaningless if the cost of things keep going up, with no end in sight.

We do not need increased wages. What we REALLY need is increased buying power.

The money that we do make needs to go back to being worth more, like it was in the past.

I grew up in a military family, and no, my father was not an officer. He was enlisted. Yet, the pay check he brought home every 2 weeks back in the 70's was enough to pay the bills, buy gas for the car, and put plenty of food on the table....and that food included: T-bone steaks! Chuck roasts. You name it.

Our family of 4 back then ate well, and still had money left over to not only pay the bills, but to go do things. My mom was even able to put cash aside for a rainy.

I can remember taking a dollar, and I could buy a soda, a candy bar and 2 comic books with that dollar back in 1977. Today? I'd be lucky to buy the candy bar with just the dollar.

Go out and look at the price of things. Look how much a dozen eggs costs now (thank god I have my own chickens). Look at how much a gallon of milk is. T-bone steaks? I can't remember the last time I could afford to buy any.

We don't need MORE money. We need for the money we have to be WORTH more.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I only have men working for me in my business because I haven't found females with the skills I need for my business. It isn't that I don't want to hire women it is that I need qualified people with certain skill sets. I would much rather be surrounded by women. I like female energy.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: vjr1113
ok so lets go into this utopian fantasy. suddenly everyone can go to college and start their own business. everyone now has their own wallmart but no one to run it, no employees. then what happens?

I have employees, but I didn't create entry level jobs. My employees make between $25 - 32.50 an hour.

I actually work for a CPA, and we do the books for a lot of small businesses. If all of your employees make that kind of coin, you are paying extremely well, farming out the low paying stuff, or lying your ass off. No small business has every employee making that kind of coin. There are all kinds of 12 buck an hour admin jobs in every small business.

(post by boymonkey74 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Read into my post a little bit more and you'll come to understand its meaning.

Actually went back and re read it, you want to put worth on people's lives based on what they make, or the job that they do, and you somehow feel this is right? In my life I have made a boatload of money, not so much money, and no money, by your definition my worth as a human being would be adjusted by my W2?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Like I said, we could end poverty 15x over in the U.S. alone. I think it was around 5-8x over for ending poverty world wide. I can't remember where I read that from, I'll see if I can find it again. At any rate, we just won't do it. No one cares about anyone else so long as they're taken care of. That type of attitude is prevalent across this thread.

It's a shame we can't ensure everyone has food And a basic home.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If I am remembering right, wal mart put out a report about how much profit would be lost because the gov't cut food stamps.....

we have an economy where those who sell us our food, provide us with out medical care, rent us our apartments, abd provide us with our childcare can and do just keep hiking up the prices of their goods because well, the gov't will just increase the amount they give out to the poor, they won't lose that many customers.....
and well, they can pay as little as they want for most of the jobs, since well, more and more people are in a position where they just need a job, heck it doesn't even have to cover the childcare even, since the gov't is providing it for them...

gee at least an increase in the lower end of the wages might get some of the people off the government benefits and cut the expense down a little, and well, if we could elect some decent people into office, it could possibly reduce the taxes for those stockholders. but as long as things stay as they are, it's the government that is helping push the cost of living up and the wages down!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Like I said, we could end poverty 15x over in the U.S. alone. I think it was around 5-8x over for ending poverty world wide. I can't remember where I read that from, I'll see if I can find it again. At any rate, we just won't do it. No one cares about anyone else so long as they're taken care of. That type of attitude is prevalent across this thread.

It's a shame we can't ensure everyone has food And a basic home.

I will actually apologize EternalSolace, I read your post totally wrong, the lack of emotion in written communication [chat]. People won't do it, they are too greedy. The middle class is much more charitable to the truly needy than the rich will ever be, but the rich still get those tax deductions.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

No worries. It's a highly charged issue.
edit on 10/14/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

actually if you are in a position where you are waking up in the morning hurting like heck, limping to work and spending 8 hours in pain, then going home and listening to your family complain right off the bat that they are hungry while the stupid politician on the tv is saying that they have to raise the taxes on all these different things like cigarettes, property taxes, gas tax, dmv fees, and on and on, so they can for the rising cost of medicaid, and well, you yourself have already racked up so much in medical bills that you don't dare go back for any more medical care...
well that is just what you might interpret society as saying to you....
those poor, poor people are worth more than you or your kids, and those more wealthy people are worth more than you are, and well, quite frankly you can just keep on working till you drop dead, because you are just the fool that is working their butt off so that everyone else can have a good life.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

That is my life right now. I clean my own house. The money I could afford to potentially pay any possible cleaning service is well below the fees such businesses command. You know because we have to have a living wage and stuff. Too bad, there are a couple of teenage kids in my neighborhood who could use the summer work and have been looking for things to do.

Sorry, I am not rich and never will be. Most people aren't, but we sure can and do have a few extra bucks from time to time that we could use to pay someone else for an odd job or two.

edit on 14-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

We're headed back that way -- only it'll be more like indentured servitude to the corporations.

I envision a day where everything is owned by large companies. You ride the Walmart rail line to work, dressed in your Walmart approved clothing, with a Walmart haricut. If your job performance is lacking, you can be deemed to have "stolen company time" and therefore found guilty of theft. You will then be forced to "work off your debt" to the company, imprisoned on premises potentially forever, as they'll rig the system to ding you for any little thing they can to add to your company debt.

That happened in the past. Some companies in the frontiers would only pay their employees "company scrip". Those were tokens that could only buy items in the "company store":

en.wikipedia.org...

"The practice has been documented as recently as September, 2008. On September 4, 2008, the Mexican Supreme Court of Justice ruled that Wal-Mart de Mexico, the Mexican subsidiary of Wal-Mart, must cease paying its employees in part with vouchers redeemable only at Wal-Mart stores."

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Lmao..nice one, playing the stocks is hard work, bet it's awesome when your up.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

actually if you are in a position where you are waking up in the morning hurting like heck, limping to work and spending 8 hours in pain, then going home and listening to your family complain right off the bat that they are hungry while the stupid politician on the tv is saying that they have to raise the taxes on all these different things like cigarettes, property taxes, gas tax, dmv fees, and on and on, so they can for the rising cost of medicaid, and well, you yourself have already racked up so much in medical bills that you don't dare go back for any more medical care...
well that is just what you might interpret society as saying to you....
those poor, poor people are worth more than you or your kids, and those more wealthy people are worth more than you are, and well, quite frankly you can just keep on working till you drop dead, because you are just the fool that is working their butt off so that everyone else can have a good life.

You didn't quote my post, so not sure what you are replying to, but you and I are most likely on the same side.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That is my life right now. I clean my own house. The money I could afford to potentially pay any possible cleaning service is well below the fees such businesses command. You know because we have to have a living wage and stuff. Too bad, there are a couple of teenage kids in my neighborhood who could use the summer work and have been looking for things to do.

Sorry, I am not rich and never will be. Most people aren't, but we sure can and do have a few extra bucks from time to time that we could use to pay someone else for an odd job or two.

Amazing thing is I mowed grass for a living from 12 - 16, it was a living wage for me at that age, and probably a lot more than I made hourly in my first job. You seem to think a living wage is a bad idea? My first job at 15 was for 1.85 an hour, minimum wage went up and I made 2.25, somehow the fast food place I worked for didn't fold for the increased wages.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vjr1113
ok so lets go into this utopian fantasy. suddenly everyone can go to college and start their own business. everyone now has their own wallmart but no one to run it, no employees. then what happens?

I have employees, but I didn't create entry level jobs. My employees make between $25 - 32.50 an hour.

I actually work for a CPA, and we do the books for a lot of small businesses. If all of your employees make that kind of coin, you are paying extremely well, farming out the low paying stuff, or lying your ass off. No small business has every employee making that kind of coin. There are all kinds of 12 buck an hour admin jobs in every small business.

I hire day labor for a lot of my jobs. My full-time guys do my specialty work.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join