It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
Yeah.... what a shame people want an actual living wage. How dare they?

So you want to destroy everything in order to get wages you aren't worth? Nice.

Who are you to say what people are worth? I don't know what people are worth in dollars but I believe they are worth more than a wage that they work hard for that doesn't even pay the bills or put groceries on the table, so they have to ask for food stamps from the government.

What an elitist point of view you have.

People are worth exactly what they earn.

That is the beauty of Capitalism.

ETA: I am not talking some sort of existential value I am talking about dollars.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
Yeah.... what a shame people want an actual living wage. How dare they?

Yeah...why should they actually EARN it by working HARDER. Others ( like my son) work TWO JOBS, so that those lazy slobs can get more $ for doing LESS work. Gimme, gimme,gimme
edit on 14-10-2015 by M5xaz because: typo

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Walmart is still set to make a 1.2 billon ptofit for the year...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

No they don't care that just because people in the past, usually from a much better economy, didn't ask for a better wage doesn't mean the people of today shouldn't.

They can ask and then when businesses close because they can't afford to pay people more than their value they lose their jobs and my dad losses his retirement. Everyone losses. Great idea.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

You have no heart, my friend, and have highlighted the very basic problem with capitalism. It's all about the Benjamins and damn the humans that help make em.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cypress

Walmart is still set to make a 1.2 billion profit for the year...

Which on their gross of just over $482 billion is less than .21% which is absolutely a terrible profit for any company not to mention a person. This shows how naive you are about business.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Interesting point about being in a depression. You just might be right. Most young and a lot of older generation individuals are in debt to some degree.

There is too much imaginary money floating around out there. When the bubble pops, this time it'll be devastating.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You have no heart, my friend, and have highlighted the very basic problem with capitalism. It's all about the Benjamins and damn the humans that help make em.

So when I am donating my time and money to charity and local programs I have no heart? That makes no sense.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

So when I am donating my time and money to charity and local programs I have no heart? That makes no sense.

Perhaps there would not be such a need for local programs and charity if people's well-being was not considered less important than their worth as an employee.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

you can kill 99 people and save one, so that makes you a saint. think about it.

if it was up to the rich, we'd have the same wages as china does, because who cares about poverty when you're on your 40 foot yacht right?

have some empathy and consider what poverty is like.
edit on 14-10-2015 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

ETA: I am not talking some sort of existential value I am talking about dollars.

i cant find a job to save my life so i earn $0 so does that mean im worthless??? should i just put a bullet in my head so that the $150 i get in foodstamps to survive every month doesnt burden the people that get to work? There is basically no employer in my area that is hiring and i dont have a vehicle so commuting is out of the question and the few places around here that are hiring want 5-10 years of experience. i even applied at a few burger flipping joints and got told at 1 of them that i was over-qualified. and i refuse to goto college and put myself into horrific debt just to get out and not be able to find a job and like i said i dont have a vehicle or income to pay for the bus so i cant really GO to college unless i did courses and the only online colleges that have classes that i want to make a career of cost upwards of 70k. so yea im one of those lazy bottom feeders that wants everything handed to me right?

edit on 14-10-2015 by Rabb420 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

China is a good example of capitalism's failures.

Sweat shops. Those hard workers, as MM said, get screwed.

link   

Yea I am sure they are going to have to close their doors.

Typical fear mongering.

This is exactly what the oligarchies want us to do, argue over the damn crumbs while they eat the whole damn pie.
I don't think you really do have an issue with politics these days, this type of talk and business practices is exactly what the people in charge want and defend.

I am sure from your stance you did pull your self up, but admittedly with help from your dad and I would bet much more that you wouldn't tell us.
Small businesses get lots of help from the tax payer.

Oh and if your dad's retirement is solely based on the stock market he should get a new finical adviser, his is screwing him.
Which is why I am not falling for that "my poor dad" angle you keep throwing out.
edit on thWed, 14 Oct 2015 19:49:29 -0500America/Chicago1020152980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: namelesss

Today Wal-mart stock was absolutely clobbered as the CEO finally quantified what the $10 wage hike would do to his company and to shareholders. Wal-mart stock holders lost over 20 billion in market cap today which ended up hurting retirees, employees with 401-ks and people investing for their future.

This is just one more step in what is coming in the new gimme gimme economy as the self-described disenfranchised generation takes from those that work hard and save for their own retirement and destroy the existing economy to usher in a new age of Government taking care of us.

This is a sad day for those that have been playing by the existing rules and a win for the do-nothing Communists that are now trying to steal wealth from everyday Americans.

You must mean those damned lazy people who are working two jobs to feed their family!
Those poor wealthy haves might have a bit less!
Tough!
WalMart makes about $20million$ profit every hour!
Tough crackers on the parasites who grow fat on the slave labor of the people!
Screw 'em!

You mean those "wealthy"haves like my folks who have a very small retirement investment account the depend onto help flesh out their SS?

No one is talking about folks that have small retirement accounts to flesh out their SS, you do actually realize that if you make that kind of "LITTLE" money, 70K is non taxable, I had a client make 105K last year in retirement, and not pay a dime in taxes.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

That was actually a miss gype on my part thier profit margin is proje ted to fall about 1.2 billion. Regardless, the reasons for that has less to do with wage hikes than market forces. It is still a very profitable company. Also, there are several factors besides wage increases for walmarts stock price falling. Execs are just using this as an excuse to throw a fit about the issue again during election season.

In general, inflation has greatly outstripped wages that have stayed stagnant for the last 2 decades. Rise of stores like walmart are a large reason why america has shifted and the middle class has shrunk

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: vjr1113

you can kill 99 people and save one, so that makes you a saint. think about it.

if it was up to the rich, we'd have the same wages as china does, because who cares about poverty when you're on your 40 foot yacht right?

have some empathy and consider what poverty is like.

That is a straw man argument.

You can do better.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: namelesss

Today Wal-mart stock was absolutely clobbered as the CEO finally quantified what the $10 wage hike would do to his company and to shareholders. Wal-mart stock holders lost over 20 billion in market cap today which ended up hurting retirees, employees with 401-ks and people investing for their future.

This is just one more step in what is coming in the new gimme gimme economy as the self-described disenfranchised generation takes from those that work hard and save for their own retirement and destroy the existing economy to usher in a new age of Government taking care of us.

This is a sad day for those that have been playing by the existing rules and a win for the do-nothing Communists that are now trying to steal wealth from everyday Americans.

You must mean those damned lazy people who are working two jobs to feed their family!
Those poor wealthy haves might have a bit less!
Tough!
WalMart makes about $20million$ profit every hour!
Tough crackers on the parasites who grow fat on the slave labor of the people!
Screw 'em!

You mean those "wealthy"haves like my folks who have a very small retirement investment account the depend onto help flesh out their SS?

No one is talking about folks that have small retirement accounts to flesh out their SS, you do actually realize that if you make that kind of "LITTLE" money, 70K is non taxable, I had a client make 105K last year in retirement, and not pay a dime in taxes.

But people like them comprise the shareholders. Ever scream "Eff the shareholders?", but if you own stock in any account, odds are you are a shareholder of some sort then you are yelling to screw yourself, not mainly rich guys like Buffet.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Wal-mart Stock Plummets

Takes from those who work hard? What is there to take when you barley make enough to survive?

This 20 billion dollars wasn't redistributed it just went poof into nothingness. All we are doing is destroying wealth and American companies. The proof is right there in front of you.

You can't pay unskilled people who aren't interested in bettering themselves more than they are worth unless you intend to destroy the economy.

Of course destroying the economy is the goal of these bottom feeders. They can't wait to have a world where every is poor and we rely on Government for our basic needs.

Pathetic.

I agree 100% but your reply will mostly fall on deaf ears.

Walmart will pay what they need to in order to get employees. In Williston ND, their starting pay is $17.00/$18.00 an hour. It's difficult to get employees so they raised the starting wage.

What so many here don't realize is that there are approx. 1.5 million people in the USA employed by Walmart. Not all of those employees are unhappy with their pay. I guarantee you, they'll be very unhappy to lose their min. wage jobs. It's not like they can run to Kmart or Target or other box stores. They're already full up. So unless you want another 1.5 million people laid off, maybe rethink those slave wages. Something is better than nothing and the people aren't sitting on their arses all day playing video games and watching the boob tube.

I've worked min. wage often. I do what I need to do to keep employed and pay my bills. Not all my jobs have been min. wage but many have, even recently. And quite frankly, if people would get out of the major metropolis areas, many smaller towns offer more jobs and better hours because there are less people in the pool of competition. At least that is what I see regularly in my neck of the woods.

I have never felt like a slave. I have wanted more money, not because of what I needed but because of what I wanted. I now choose many min. wage jobs over higher paying positions because with the higher pay comes the higher responsibility, stress etc. It's not worth it to me. To others it may be.

It's a proven fact that employed people get chosen for new hire over someone who has been unemployed for a length of time. It shows the person has determination and is willing to work even in undesirable positions, which happens to mean a lot to a potential employer.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Paid them 7.1 billion last year....

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
It's very hard to choose a side here. It's obvious that the old "new deal" system, things like social security, 401k, and the way taxes work here in the states in general, are outdated. Long gone are the days that hard work and perseverance can get you ahead in a company.

Sure, you can go to college, get a degree, come out 50k+ in debt, and if you're LUCKY you'll get started at a 35k a year job.

I'm 24. Most friends from my youth are now college grad of 2 years of more. Aside from a handful that got lucky with a 35-40k salary right out of school, the rest ARE working as a server in a chain restaurant, answering phone calls at a desk, selling used cars or... Working in RETAIL.

Luckily, I figured out the college scam within my first year, and got a good job as a salesman that gets me about 45k a year. But only because my dad "knew a guy".

To sum it up, the 60s-80s, this current system worked. But now, try telling my friends that are in so much debt that they are working 2-3 crappy jobs just to stay afloat, AFTER attending college with the promise of a good job afterwards, that the system is " fair ".

It isn't.

Unfortunately, things are always moving, I was very highly trained in a field in the military in the 80's, by the time I got out in 90, the field had virtually disappeared for those with only military training. Early 90's, anyone that could say computer was pretty much guaranteed a living wage of 30 - 50 k a year. I made some good cash, by 96 that had ended, and I worked for 8 bucks an hour using the skills I had learned in the military, that grew to 12 and then to 17, and then I got hurt. I have started over at 12 bucks an hour again working for my sister as her admin, folks that cannot adapt, change, or alter their lifestyles are the ones that are in serious trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join