It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They shouldn't be in business if they can't survive without slaves.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I risked everything

Many, many people do the same and that risk does not pay off. Some people are not in a position to risk anything because they have other people to care for.

It is much more complicated than how you are presenting it and that is where you are wrong. Plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So who do we the people blame more for the predicament we're in?

The poor or the government?

Doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything about it.

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
It is sad that we let made up money in the game of wall street dictate what we should do by if it goes up or down.

Talk about being in complete control and having people by the balls...

The stock market is a way to build wealth for the long term. Destroying it will only hurt people like my dad and others that rely on it for their income.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

I risked everything

Many, many people do the same and that risk does not pay off. Some people are not in a position to risk anything because they have other people to care for.

It is much more complicated than how you are presenting it and that is where you are wrong. Plain and simple.

No, it isn't. If I can do it anyone can.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

If you really believe that....

I just....

Okay...

And I thought people like you were firmly against the 'everyone is special' mentality.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

The stock market is a damn bubble that we artificially create and it already almost destroyed us once.
I lied, almost destroyed us TWICE.

We always want to talk about scams and the gov backing them, well that is the biggest of them all.

Not saying we need to 86 it over night, but we do need to get our economy off of its damn tit.

What is your business if you don't mind saying.
edit on thWed, 14 Oct 2015 19:23:52 -0500America/Chicago1020155280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thWed, 14 Oct 2015 19:24:11 -0500America/Chicago1020151180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

It is the damn Ayn Rand fantasy.

I got mine so screw you get yours.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: introvert

I risked everything

No, it isn't. If I can do it anyone can.

Like I said, it is not that simple. Your position is not rooted in any sort of reality.

Earth to Mettalicus......come back down.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

No one is forcing anyone to work for them. Try again.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It is the damn Ayn Rand fantasy.

I got mine so screw you get yours.

No one GAVE me crap. I have worked hard my whole life.

So, yeah, screw you.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Someone who applies and works there voluntarily is not a slave.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Are we still harping on the Horatio Alger myth?

The "Horatio Alger myth" is the "classic" American success story and character arc, the trajectory from "rags to riches". It comes from the novels of Horatio Alger, Jr., which were wildly popular after the Civil War in the United States.

Alger wrote over 120 books for young working-class males, a well-known early example of which is Ragged Dick, which was published in 1867. His books have been described as rags to riches stories, although often "rags to upper-middle class respectability" might be more accurate.[1] "By leading exemplary lives, struggling valiantly against poverty and adversity", Alger's protagonists gain both wealth and honor, ultimately realizing the American Dream.[2] The characters in Alger's stories sometimes improved their social position through the aid of an older, kindly, wealthy helping person.

Wikipedia

You realize that the whole "American Dream" and "bootstrap yourself up" was nothing more than popular post-Civil War propaganda to give newly freed slaves hope and keep them passive and not causing riots, right? It's nothing more than social programming that was used to keep the country from descending into chaos after the war...and somehow it's now ingrained into people's brains as some kind of reality.

It's really nothing more than some feel-good storytelling based on the Just-world fallacy:

The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions are inherently inclined to bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, to the end of all noble actions being eventually rewarded and all evil actions eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance.

Wikipedia

Work hard and be rewarded!

Look, you can shoot a shotgun and one of the shot pellets will travel further than the others. That shot pellet is now going to assume because it made it, all the others just didn't try hard enough.

The reality is, hard work does not always equal success and the only ones calming it does are the lucky few who the stars aligned just right for. Hard work and labor are only weakly associated with success.

If hard work = success, there'd be far fewer sweat shops. Those people sure work hard as hell.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

It's government and labor policy that has shaped our present economy where most manufacturing has been shipped overseas to escape labor union and regulatory measures combined with tax policy.

Business will do what it must to survive and make a profit. That is its only reason to exist. Contrary to what most left leaning people seem to think, it is not to provide you with a living.

A healthy economy is one here businesses grow and expand and new businesses start up. In case you haven't noticed, we are sadly lacking in that kind of economy.
edit on 14-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
And I have to love the "no one helped me, so screw everyone else! I ain't helping nobody!"

Wow, way to be a good human being...

+5 more 
link   

I didn't say you were given anything...
And you already said you were given 800 dollars by your old man, so it isn't all that true.

I am sure you could have done it without, but you admittedly were given something.

I would even venture you were given tax breaks through your building of the business and other benifits of taxes.

Worked hardly plenty my self, still do, doesn't mean I want to tell every one to screw off.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Someone who applies and works there voluntarily is not a slave.

Nah, just a brainwashed idiot.

Can't eat money.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

It's government and labor policy that has shaped our present economy where most manufacturing has been shipped overseas to escape labor union and regulatory measures combined with tax policy.

Business will do what it must to survive and make a profit. That is its only reason to exist. Contrary to what most left leaning people seem to think, it is not to provide you with a living.

You're really good at those non-answers.

Try politics!

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I mean think about it -- how many people have you seen promoted that didn't work as hard as you?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

It's not a non-answer. It's reality and economics.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join