It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

This is just one more step in what is coming in the new gimme gimme economy as the self-described disenfranchised generation takes from those that work hard and save for their own retirement and destroy the existing economy to usher in a new age of Government taking care of us.
Wal-mart Stock Plummets

Takes from those who work hard? What is there to take when you barley make enough to survive?

This 20 billion dollars wasn't redistributed it just went poof into nothingness. All we are doing is destroying wealth and American companies. The proof is right there in front of you.

You can't pay unskilled people who aren't interested in bettering themselves more than they are worth unless you intend to destroy the economy.

Of course destroying the economy is the goal of these bottom feeders. They can't wait to have a world where every is poor and we rely on Government for our basic needs.

Pathetic.

the minimum wage does not reflect inflation or cost of living increases. the rich keep getting richer but how dare the slave class ask for more peanuts.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

This is an example of how captilsim fails, greed based driven focused on only the next quarter profits to keep investors happy.

But captilsim can still work, I hold Gravity Payments out of Seattle as the poster child for this they offer a $70,000 minimum wage.
They are not publicly traded.

VIDEO

edit on 16-10-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Are you SERIOUS?!

Tax payers subsidize Walmart every which way to Sunday - starting with providing Food Stamps to their underpaid employees, and ending with corporate tax breaks.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
if walmart was a country it would be the 25th largest economy in the world. They are perfectly fine.

walmart funnels it's employees on to welfare so the government can cover their profit margins. But greed is good I guess.

I don't understand how people that are so militant against welfare, are also ok with the largest employers in America contributing to it.
edit on 10am11am312015-10-16T11:22:42-05:0011America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche
if walmart was a country it would be the 25th largest economy in the world. They are perfectly fine.

walmart funnels it's employees on to welfare so the government can cover their profit margins. But greed is good I guess.

I don't understand how people that are so militant against welfare, are also ok with the largest employers in America contributing to it.

Very good point. Wing nuts rant and rave about welfare but don't seem to have a clue that corporations privatize profits and socialize costs. They pay peanuts to Maximize their bottom line and their employees go on public assistance as a result, which is paid for by those very same taxpayers in the tea party who complain about welfare queens. Rather ironic IMHO.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: namelesss

Today Wal-mart stock was absolutely clobbered as the CEO finally quantified what the $10 wage hike would do to his company and to shareholders. Wal-mart stock holders lost over 20 billion in market cap today which ended up hurting retirees, employees with 401-ks and people investing for their future.

This is just one more step in what is coming in the new gimme gimme economy as the self-described disenfranchised generation takes from those that work hard and save for their own retirement and destroy the existing economy to usher in a new age of Government taking care of us.

This is a sad day for those that have been playing by the existing rules and a win for the do-nothing Communists that are now trying to steal wealth from everyday Americans.

You must mean those damned lazy people who are working two jobs to feed their family!
Those poor wealthy haves might have a bit less!
Tough!
WalMart makes about $20million$ profit every hour!
Tough crackers on the parasites who grow fat on the slave labor of the people!
Screw 'em!

You mean those "wealthy"haves like my folks who have a very small retirement investment account the depend onto help flesh out their SS?

If your folks are 'wealthy', they wouldn't have "a very small retirement investment account the(y) depend onto help flesh out their SS"!

There is sufficient resources for all to live well, if the Faithless and greedy and selfish did not take more than their share!
"Charity is not taking more than your share of anything! Ever!"

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Wing nuts rant and rave about welfare but don't seem to have a clue that corporations privatize profits and socialize costs.

That's because the Wing nuts place a person's value on how much money they have. You read it on here all the time.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: freethinker66
The billionaire banksters and ceo s have outsourced most of our good paying jobs overseas which has left us with a service economy. And to make it worse, they have allowed an invasion from our southern border of 3rd world peoples who dont mind working for low wages because thats what they are used to. I promise that this isnt the future our fathers and grandfathers had in mind for us. If a person is willing to work they should be paid a living wage even if it means that the ceo wont get to buy that 3rd airplane he wanted with the leather seats or his 5th or sixth home.

Good Post
And the kicker is the Globalist try and pin it as a Left / Right in order to play divide and conquer issue when it is neither.
When it comes to money and power, there is no partisanship.

I can tell you the Bilderberg Attendees that are part of who spearheaded this "Globalist Utopia" are neither left nor right.
Bilderberg Attendees come from the Big Multinational Corporations and Banks including the politicians that also come from those same institutions.

Everything being done is for their circle of influence and have everyone else pay for it.
You do not see them taking a lower standard of living. On the contrary, they are wealthier than ever.

They do not have a Pro American cell in their body and sell out this country and their soul for a few more dollars.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Are you SERIOUS?!

Tax payers subsidize Walmart every which way to Sunday - starting with providing Food Stamps to their underpaid employees, and ending with corporate tax breaks.

Walmart is one of the top lobbyists for Food Stamps.
Walmart loves Big Government and Free Money

business.time.com...

Washington cut the amount of food stamps awhile back, and at the same time increased Big Ag subsidies to make up the difference lost.

it is pretty obvious who Washington serves and it is the not majority in this country

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
also dont forget that the food stamps given to walmarts employees mostly go into walmarts pockets because all those employees on benefits will do most of their shopping at walmart

its a double boon for the company as they get to pay low wages and get the benefits money from the employees

if you think the average benefit is anywhere from 200-400 dollars what will pay a good portion of the employees check that month

i would also like to say that as a homeless person i am looked upon with much disdain by those who think themselves better and just think of me as a leech but should i get a job , say at walmart then i will be still be looked down upon and with almost as much disdain . its fascinating to see how people are so deluded by their own good circumstances that they dont notice how close they are to becoming the object of their own prejudices

its not easy to find work without an address or phone . but i continue to try . but some of the things people believe about those who work for walmart is truly inhuman. truly
edit on pm1020153112America/ChicagoSat, 17 Oct 2015 12:31:19 -0500_10000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

just wondering here, you have no address, can you even get food stamps???

serious question here... since well I might find myself homeless sometime in the future and as far as I know, you need an address...

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

just wondering here, you have no address, can you even get food stamps???

serious question here... since well I might find myself homeless sometime in the future and as far as I know, you need an address...

No to the best of my knowledge I cannot. . But a call to your local provider would be a better source of info .U2u me if you need advise on being homeless.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The way Americans treat their homeless is an utter disgrace, my heart goes out to you mate. Being treated like a subhuman for having the misfortune of being poor for whatever reason is disgusting, and it is a negative reflection on American society as a whole.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
Yeah.... what a shame people want an actual living wage. How dare they?

So you want to destroy everything in order to get wages you aren't worth? Nice.

What's your occupation?

It seems to include judging how much people are worth while comparing them to your alleged self success story which you have not proven and sounds like bs to me.

You are trying very hard to portray yourself as better than the average hard worker.

Sounds like you are trying to impress us, it's not working for me at least. I've had to work minimum wage even though I have degrees. The economy sucks and people will do what is needed to survive to feed their family. I am willing to bet that you have no wife or kids.

I'll walk away now while you mock single parents trying to feed their kids. How's the air up there?

edit on 17-10-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Your at kidding right? 10 bucks an hour? That is nothing.

And to rephrase your comment.." I risked my daddy's $800 dollars which was everything to me so I could start my own business. Now I got five of them but I'm still an asshole"

So you didn't even work for your money how the hell are you risking everything! You are a totally prick many people can't do better than Minimun due to intelligence or geographic location.

By all means continue spitting on fellow Americans. Yuck.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsukoyes a education helps but allowing a lot of the better paying jobs to go over seas because labor is cheaper is a main art of problem also the fact that the ones who left to produce stuff overseas are bot getting hit with big tariffs is bad to. the idiots in congress let this happen and only they have power to really change it.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

ive only read the first post cause this discussion is always the same. i just wanted to point out that the big evil wal mart is no different than 99% of the companies out there.
i work for a company that has plants in ohio, texas, france, and south africa.
share holders = 4 people.

2 weeks ago we got called in for the doom and gloom meeting. the price of copper is down. orders are down. blah blah.
the 'share holders' need to see a change.
so a bunch of people got laid off. we shut down 2 furnaces...

meanwhile not 1 week ago our gm rolled in with a new mercedes that the company leases for him.
the company flew in a metallurgist from south africa. he was here for 5 weeks and we became quite close.
he told me all about the share holders.
they are one of the richest families in the south african area he is from.
the VP who is from south africa lives in texas has a kick ass 'kardashian' style mansion. a few boats. a porshce. a mercedes. a ferari.
that kind of #.
my point is, orders are down and profits are down but you will not see them give any of their # up. instead they lay people off.
oh, they also cut middle management salaries by 5%

its just the way it goes. it is not just wal mart and it is not just retail

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

This is an example of how captilsim fails, greed based driven focused on only the next quarter profits to keep investors happy.

But captilsim can still work, I hold Gravity Payments out of Seattle as the poster child for this they offer a $70,000 minimum wage.
They are not publicly traded.

VIDEO

Capitalism can work if within the confines of the Constitution

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Do you seriously think Corporate and Banking Lobbyists that own our government care about the above in the Preamble?

It is done via policies, and selling our markets to China only enriches the wealthy in this country and the Chinese

edit on 17-10-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So what changed since the 1980's when people could make a career out of working for Corporations ? Among a number of factors, such as disastrous trade deals, the demise of unions and collective bargaining, to name a few , was something called "Share Buybacks" which is basically a way for very few to share in the profits the Company generates.

But one under-appreciated factor is a pervasive business model that encourages top managers of American corporations to loot their company for short-term gains, depriving those companies of the funds they need to build and enlarge, and invest in their workers for the long haul.

How do they loot their company? By using large stock buybacks to manage the short-term objectives that trigger higher compensation for themselves. By using those stock buybacks to manipulate the share price, which allows them to use inside information to time their own stock sales. By using buybacks to funnel most of the company’s profits back to shareholders (including themselves).

www.marketwatch.com...

In my lifetime ( I'm 52 yr. old ) I've worked for my families small business, which was comfortably profitable for 25 years,although the store was in business for 35 years, but once the big box stores started moving in the business declined until my parents closed the store. I went to college and opened my own business, I lasted 4 years before deciding "if I can't beat them, join them" and went to work for a large corporation. I started out at store level and worked my way up to middle management, which payed MUCH better then the in store union jobs, however, once you accepted the "salary" job, you were no longer in the union, worked LONG hours and in fact a BIG part of what ended up being my job was to convince the union workers they needed to do the same amount of work with less hours, and that the company could not possibly survive with them getting the wages and benefits that this successful company had been paying their employees since 1915. The thing is at one point I really believed this was true after meeting after meeting after meeting convincing us/ management that the union had to be broken and it basically was, and to my shame I was part of that.

It all started becoming very clear to me when instead of yearly bonuses, which ranged from anywhere from 20k to 100k for managers depending on the years profits in their areas, was replaced with stock options instead. The stocks were very stable for many years and many managers were counting on those stocks for retirement, remember you are no longer in the union, so you will not get a pension. Then all of a sudden the stock prices took a BIG dive after the CEO and his buddies all sold their stock when it was at record high's prior to plummeting. So I guess the moral of the story is this, be careful when you become a well paid "strong arm" of greed and convincing yourself that your valued anymore then the labor force that is the life blood of any corporation.

Interestingly enough this particular co. did succeed in severely breaking the union for the most part. It is no longer a good job a person can support a family on, the turn over rate has drastically hurt customer service in stores and the management team is disgruntled and defeated. Last I heard from friends that still work for them is that the company is going to be sold.....very sad, a lot of good people once put their hearts and pride into working for them.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

10 years ago I risked everything to start my first company. Now I employ people and have five different businesses. All it takes is a little ingenuity and hard work and you can better your situation. I am not special and if I can do it anyone can do it that isn't a lazy leeching fool.

ETA: Oh, and I did it with $800 loan from my father. I didn't have a lot of money just an idea.

Not everyone is going to have your luck, are you aware of the failure rate of businesses? On top of that, how many employees do you have? 10? That means for every 1 of you there needs to be 10 people on the bottom. Maybe you have 100 employees? That's 100 people who by definition cannot earn the big bucks.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join