It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

See, you're a smart man!

I know so many middle managers that use their workers and promise them the world but never deliver. The best bosses I've ever had mentored me in everything they knew -- knowing full well they'd loose me to someone who paid better. They never tried to keep me in the mud chasing my tail. They helped make good workers better.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I think a lot of people on here are thinking of things in an emotional way. I don't know what the value of a human life is, but I imagine it is pretty darn high or at least I hope so. However, we are dealing with the value of the labor that someone is performing which is totally separate from the value of human life.

I am not dealing with emotions I am dealing with logic and mathematics. It may not make you happy that certain jobs aren't worth much, but the fact is there are ways to make more with just a little effort. I have attempted to point out many of them that I myself have employed throughout this thread.

I understand if people don't like me, but in business I deal with facts not emotions and the fact is that I am not going to pay you more than you will accept to work for me unless you have specialized skills I need. It doesn't take much to check people out at Wal-mart and frankly you could be replaced with a Kiosk.

If you are going to invest in education or a skill set make sure it adds value. If you go to school and major in Philosophy you simply aren't going to be as valuable to a business as someone with a accounting skills. Everyone knows this and then complains when they don't make as much as someone who made a more intelligent and logical decision when choosing a major.

It is the same with a trade-skill. I can't replace a plumber with a robot, but I can replace a cashier or line cook. Be smart about your decisions and be responsible for yourself.

You don't have to like what I am saying and you certainly don't have to like me, but if you aren't logical and honest about the problem you are going to continue to be disappointed.

Bedtime...peace.

Sorry I don't think you are using logic and mathematics, because you seem to be missing a lot of the problem.

The problem is there is not enough jobs to go around. Most of the manufacturing jobs went over seas, and now many of those jobs are being replaced by automation.

I saw on the BBC a while back they were saying how wonderful it as that some of the American companies were coming back to the United States from China. In the report they focused on one company that originally employed five hundred workers in the US, they then packed up and moved to China employing a thousand and then, they decided the Chinese laborers cost to much and were coming back to America with a fully automated factory employing forty eight people. From 500 American workers, to 1000 Chinese workers, to 48 American technicians; that is the future. Anyway you slice it 452 American's are out of a job and they can't all be technicians.

And that is what has happened and is happening. There are no longer enough jobs for the people in the United States to make a living from. And it doesn't matter what you do. You keep saying get the right skills and choose the right education, but how many plumbers can you really use? Can't have a nation full of plumbers, or electricians or any other trade skill, or any specialized job.

The problem is we don't have enough jobs period. There simply is not enough to go around. The manufacturing base that drove the American economy since the industrial revolution is mostly gone. The politicians sold everyone a bill of goods when they opened the door to the rampant outsourcing through the horrible trade deals, saying we will have technology and skilled jobs to fall back on. That was in the middle of the tech boom, which went tech bust. And they didn't tell the people there wouldn't be enough of those jobs to replace the manufacturing jobs we lost. Well now we are reaping the rewards of those decisions and it's only going to get worse, because the manufacturing base isn't coming back.

And the sad thing is you can't even see that all those trade jobs like plumbers rely on people making a living to afford those services. Meaning not only is there not enough of those jobs to go around, but as more and more people end up with low paying service jobs they won't be able to afford those services anymore and even that segment of the economy is going to go belly up.

Another thing you seem to be missing in all your logic and mathematics is what happens when the majority of a society begins to starve; the society collapses. And you probably should care about that if nothing else, because it defiantly will effect you.

edit on 15-10-2015 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 15-10-2015 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: prisoneronashipoffools

Nice rant.

Let me know when you are ready to back that up with facts.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

the self-described disenfranchised generation

What generation do you mean by this, Metallicus? What decades does it span?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Your thread title states they cannot pay 10$ an hour and it seems you agree..they already pay more than that in Canada( and are doing ok..different place but not that different.
As far as the rest of this thread goes it's great you have done well, it is just not going to happen like that for everyone, much industry and good jobs have gone for good..a staggering number I would say. If people are paid a bit more, they will spend more..probably at walmart.

Yup they pay more in the UK also so that dispels the lie that they can not afford it.( already pointed this out but OP ignored this fact).
TBH the OP has ignored all the other reasons and just blamed a 10 buck an hour wage.

edit on 15-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

You can't pay unskilled people who aren't interested in bettering themselves more than they are worth unless you intend to destroy the economy.

There's your problem right there, assuming "unskilled people aren't interested in bettering themselves".

What a load of tripe. I feel sorry for your employees, those poor people.

Even Henry Ford (you know, the bloke who invented the motor car) realised that paying decent wages to employees meant they had money to spend on his cars.
edit on 15/10/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: ketsuko

There aren't enough jobs that pay a living wage apparently for the entire population of the United States.

That's the problem. Someone still has to do those bottom-level jobs as well.

Yea. Funny how people tout 'get a better job,' while ignoring the simple fact that millions of such jobs must exist, and therefore this amounts to a simple guarantee that millions of working Americans must live in poverty and be unable to support themselves. And guess what!? BE FORCED TO UTILIZE GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE due to their inability to support themselves. Thus the unbelievable irony of simultaneously opposing a living wage and government assistance, where the lack of the first thing you oppose necessitates the expansion of the second thing you oppose.
edit on 15-10-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: prisoneronashipoffools

The problem is there is not enough jobs to go around.

That seems to be the prevailing theme here. Sadly, it's just not true.

In Raleigh NC, there are more IT jobs then there are applicants. IN Texas, there are more oil jobs then there are applicants. And with all those jobs, there are support jobs. How about North Dakota? New oil jobs there.

All of you who are whining about not enough jobs just aren't looking in the right places. Yes, you may have to move to get what you want. Yes, you may actually have to put in some effort to make things how you want them. But......nobody is going to be there waiting to offer you your lunch on a silver spoon. You have to earn it.

Metallicus, you did a good job trying to defend on this one. And I agree with your premise.
A little education and some hard work will put you above others. But not within the first few days. You may have to put in a little time so your resume' has good experience. And you may not get every job you apply for, but if you are persistent, and work hard, there are no limitations. (except in you mind)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

originally posted by: vonclod

Your thread title states they cannot pay 10$ an hour and it seems you agree..they already pay more than that in Canada( and are doing ok..different place but not that different.
As far as the rest of this thread goes it's great you have done well, it is just not going to happen like that for everyone, much industry and good jobs have gone for good..a staggering number I would say. If people are paid a bit more, they will spend more..probably at walmart.

Yup they pay more in the UK also so that dispels the lie that they can not afford it.( already pointed this out but OP ignored this fact).
TBH the OP has ignored all the other reasons

Iand just blamed a 10 buck an hour wage.

I'd like him to explain how McDonalds in the North Dakota Oil Fields managed to stay afloat when they paid their workers 15 bucks an hour to flip burgers?

Supply and Demand

The same reason why wages have stagnated when you make your own countrymen compete with Chinese that were making a dollar a day.

All brought to you buy lobbyists for Protected and Rigged Trade Agreements

There is your "Free Market" at work

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
next time, don't build a business model based on slave labor.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

They can't afford it?

Wal-Mart Has $76 Billion in Undisclosed Overseas Tax Havens

www.bloomberg.com...

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. owns more than $76 billion of assets through a web of units in offshore tax havens around the world, though you wouldn’t know it from reading the giant retailer’s annual report.

A new study has found Wal-Mart has at least 78 offshore subsidiaries and branches, more than 30 created since 2009 and none mentioned in U.S. securities filings. Overseas operations have helped the company cut more than $3.5 billion off its income tax bills in the past six years, its annual reports show.

I think they are full of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I am sorry if your parents didn't love you. Maybe that explains your current life.

Maybe the parents couldn't find their leprechaun's pot of gold because they were too busy working double shifts to earn enough to support their family, along with the corporate's world desire for more hotels, highways to no where, wars, and airports that no one wanted, along with pitching in and helping to pay half of their neighbors rent, food expenses, gas allowance, clothing, medical care, childcare, and whatever else the bestow upon the "poor", they couldn't even afford the clothes to put on their own kid's backs, let alone give them funds to start their own business.

and oh ya, those poor, poor ceo's having to deal with those commie chinese businessmen....they should get combat pay!!
ya, try working in a wal mart during the christmas season or on black friday!! now, that's combat, heck they should make a reality show based on that one!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

so does that mean that they are ripping off their shareholders, along with the IRS???

A new study has found Wal-Mart has at least 78 offshore subsidiaries and branches, more than 30 created since 2009 and none mentioned in U.S. securities filings.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

McDonalds answer to the min. wage hike, fully automated touch screen, human replacements.

Migration, robots a lot more competition for those lowest on the pay scale.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The three daughters of Sam Walton make about $200 billion per year between them. This is nothing a stock buy back won't solve.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

awhile back, the gov't was being pressured to expand the visas and let more immigrants come into the country. well, there was a machine shop complaining in an article about how the machinist is a great trade to have, why he was paying his machinists $100,000 a year, and he just couldn't find qualified applicants for these jobs!!

money.cnn.com...

Personally I think the story was a bunch of crap, just people whining because they can't get the machinists to stay in the trade or encourage their kids to follow in their footsteps and they want the gov't to bring them in some cheap labor because they don't want to pay anywhere near that $100,000 a year to lure the american machinists to stay in the trade and they don't want to train any of the younger generation in the trade.
but anyways, I wanted the opinions of other machinists, so I found this site...

www.practicalmachinist.com...

so my question is, are the jobs really there, or is it more like the companies want to make it look like there's a shortage of qualified people to fill these jobs hoping that the gov't will bring more people into the country so they can hire for less in pay?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You know.

That didn't occur to me that they are ripping off their stock holders.

Good catch.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Have a looksy-poo at Walmart wages in Canada:

Linky-poo

The minimum wage in Canada is $10.25/hr... and apparently (according to these job postings), Walmart Canada pays on average $1-2 an hour more than the standard minimum wage here. Hell, even the "bottomfeeder" cashiers are getting paid a livable wage.

How is that possible, eh ?!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That is priceless. You are telling folk to work hard and study hard yet you got a loan from dear old dad. Do you know how that sounds?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Half our oil workers are not working due to the low oil price, and your wrong if you think the same job opportunities are there..since shortly after NAFTA IMHO..next up TPP
edit on 15-10-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join