It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Sold my soul to the company store?

In soviet russia; is more appropo...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheCretinHop
a reply to: Metallicus

You sound a touch ignorant. Ew. Cause that's all that matters,"Gotta work and bust your back to live that American Dream and save my mind ey and have a 401-K. Pssh most of us don't get 401-Ks as we are all too poor and insignificant to the mid-level management and upper corporate management moguls. I don't work at Walmart, but I work for the EMS system and get paid dirt keeping people alive and safe from life-threatening emergencies, threatening to us too, just so people can survive to collect there 401 Ks and you know what, I'd sure appreciate a raise myself. Maybe I won't be a working EMS provider living within the poverty level. But really, I'm starting to learn the best things in life are free. So enjoy your money and "breaking your tie I mean back while I enjoy traveling the world as a gypsy.

You sound ignorant as well. I am completely happy and my family is the most important thing to me. I love to volunteer to coach girls softball. I love to donate to local high school teams. I love my life, but it just didn't 'appear' out of thin air. I had to work to get where I am.

Now a days people look at what I have and expect to have it given to them. I mowed lawns. I moved furniture. I did a lot of not so glamorous jobs that I don't have to do anymore, but it wasn't given to me nor did I rely on others. When I didn't have work I have gone door to door for odd jobs. I don't sit on my ass and complain.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Why do you assume people CAN'T do things?

Because it's a reality.

It sounds to me like you're living in some kind of bubble where everyone is as fortunate as you are. They're not.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well I did work 2 or 3 jobs and put myself through school,no loans,no parents,no rich benefactors.If I could do it,anyone can.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
Well I did work 2 or 3 jobs and put myself through school,no loans,no parents,no rich benefactors.If I could do it,anyone can.

I am sorry to be hard on you. You sound pretty awesome, but I also believe you can work smarter not necessarily harder. I have worked a lot of grunt jobs, but it was never one where I thought it was my career. I was always working for something better.

edit on 2015/10/15 by Metallicus because: Can't spell anymore...way past my bedtime

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheCretinHop
This really gets me. It is horrible how we treat the people who truly deserve a comfortable wage. Our priorities are so screwed. Someone who happens to be a smooth talker and makes a good business deal is rewarded more than someone who saves lives?

I can't give you a raise and pay, but I offer my respect and appreciation. Thank you for placing the value of someones life over things money can buy.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Why do you assume people CAN'T do things?

Because it's a reality.

It sounds to me like you're living in some kind of bubble where everyone is as fortunate as you are. They're not.

Let's say you are right and there are a lot of sadly untalented, stupid people out there. What do you expect ME to do about it? I don't agree to be responsible for them I have enough to worry about in my life with my own family, friends and community. You can't hold other people responsible for others without their agreement. That would be making ME a slave and working against my will. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
a reply to: TheCretinHop
This really gets me. It is horrible how we treat the people who truly deserve a comfortable wage. Our priorities are so screwed. Someone who happens to be a smooth talker and makes a good business deal is rewarded more than someone who saves lives?

I can't give you a raise and pay, but I offer my respect and appreciation. Thank you for placing the value of someones life over things money can buy.

People want different things out of life. I never wanted to be more than a husband, father and successful in whatever I chose to do. We all come in to life with different goals and ideas of the ideal life. I am saying you are responsible for making your own happiness, your own life and attaining your own goals. You can't hold others responsible for what you want to accomplish.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
And I have to love the "no one helped me, so screw everyone else! I ain't helping nobody!"

Wow, way to be a good human being...

Actually, I am extremely generous and give to many charities. Anyone that knows me also knows I volunteer my time and money to many different things. I just don't need Government to legislate what I give and to whom.

See, that is the difference between a "conservative" and a "liberal" -- a conservative only gives to charities they approve of, people that they believe are morally like-minded, and align with their religion or ethnic cultural background.

A liberal will give to people they don't know, will never know, with the understanding that helping anyone (no matter what their religion, sex, race or creed is) helps the overall human race as a whole.

Giving here and there to charities you pick and choose isn't the same thing at all. You can claim you aren't biased at all when donating, but we all (liberal and conservative) have biases, it's an inherent human trait.

This sums it up pretty well:

Because all members of a hunter-gatherer tribe are genetic kin or at the very least friends and allies for life, sharing resources among them does not qualify as an expression of liberalism as defined above. Given its absence in the contemporary hunter-gatherer tribes, which are often used as modern-day analogs of our ancestral life, it may be reasonable to infer that sharing of resources with total strangers that one has never met or is not likely ever to meet – that is, liberalism – was not part of our ancestral life.

The primary means that citizens of capitalist democracies contribute their private resources for the welfare of the genetically unrelated others is paying taxes to the government for its social welfare programs. The fact that conservatives have been shown to give more money to charities than liberals is not inconsistent with the prediction from the Hypothesis; in fact, it supports the prediction. Individuals can normally choose and select the beneficiaries of their charity donations. For example, they can choose to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti, because they want to help them, but not to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Chile, because they don’t want to help them. In contrast, citizens do not have any control over whom the money they pay in taxes benefit. They cannot individually choose to pay taxes to fund Medicare, because they want to help elderly white people, but not AFDC, because they don’t want to help poor black single mothers. This may precisely be why conservatives choose to give more money to individual charities of their choice while opposing higher taxes.

Psychology Today

So basically, conservatives are holding onto an older evolutionary model, as sharing resources with people they don't know or aren't similar to wasn't good on the grasslands of Africa. You wouldn't hunt the mighty Ibex in the Sahara, only to give it away to people you've never met before. That wouldn't make good evolutionary sense in prehistoric times.

We don't live as hunter gatherers anymore. We don't sharpen sticks to slay the beast (despite how I've heard some of my conservative friends liken their job to bringing back a slain animal for their family). We live in a modern, democratic and technological society where we have resource abundance. We could feed, clothe, house and give medical treatment to all the poor and homeless in America -- we could, but we would have to decrease our defense budget and other pork barrel spending.

Humans and their societies change, and remaining hard-fast to old evolutionary models is pointless and futile. We always march forward, some people kicking and screaming the entire time.

I for one don't want to fight the inevitable progress.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Where did I say you had to pay these Wal-Mart workers? My issue is with these big money CEO's getting paid ridiculous salaries while riding on the backs of minimum wage slaves then complaining that they're asking for too much money.

Maybe these CEO's could settle for a Corvette instead of a Lamborghini or a $5 million dollar private jet instead of a$20 million dollar one? That would go a long way to helping the people they ride to have a livable wage.

Am I asking them to give everything they have away? No. Some? Yes, because they're vastly overpaid to begin with.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Where did I say you had to pay these Wal-Mart workers? My issue is with these big money CEO's getting paid ridiculous salaries while riding on the backs of minimum wage slaves then complaining that they're asking for too much money.

Maybe these CEO's could settle for a Corvette instead of a Lamborghini or a $5 million dollar private jet instead of a$20 million dollar one? That would go a long way to helping the people they ride to have a livable wage.

Am I asking them to give everything they have away? No. Some? Yes, because they're vastly overpaid to begin with.

That seems reasonable to me.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I am not arguing with your premise, but I am saying it isn't your job or that of the Government to give away my money. The problem is that I don't care who you want to give your money to, but you want the power to tell me who I can give to...I don't cede that power to you so we have a conflict that will never be resolved.

Regardless, this isn't the premise of the thread and we are moving off topic.

I am simply saying I disagree with paying someone more money than a job is worth and for some businesses that isn't practical like in the case of Wal-mart who already has small margins and makes a very small profit as a percent of gross sales.
edit on 2015/10/15 by Metallicus because: another darn spelling error...arghh

ETA: Also, I don't make political donations. I donate mostly to local youth sports teams and your right that I believe strongly in youth sports and the benefit it has to the kids.
edit on 2015/10/15 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Minimum wage here is 10.25

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Minimum wage here is 10.25

Where is 'here' and what does that have to do with Wal-mart?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
FTR: I know a lot of people who "work hard". They bust their behinds and are the best at what they do. They believe that the boss will see them working hard, being dedicated and promote them.

Does that happen?

No. More often than not they are taken advantage of, promised raises and promotions and never see them. They'll switch jobs and repeat the same thing over and over.

If you have a dedicated and hard worker, doesn't it make sense to keep that reliable producer where they are in order to maximize profit?

I've seen this so many times I've become pretty jaded because of it. The people who are promoted are the cut throat, vicious, behind-kissing butt snorkelers. A lot of people get ahead by finding advantages, using other people to help lift them up and stand on other people's shoulders.

If you bust your behind and stay in the same job for to long, you'll be taken advantage of and the management will begin to get used to you always producing and performing.

Never give 100% starting day 1. Always give 70% -- always. This way if you are sick or under performing for some reason and putting out 50% of your actual capacity, it will seem like you are only dropping 20% in your total capacity. If, by some reason, you really need to kick ass -- go all out at 100%. You will look like a crazy mad man giving 130% and be noticed.

This is why Scottie told Geordie LaForge, "Why laddy, you never tell em' how long it's REALLY going to take! How do you expect to be a miracle worker!"

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying. I need very reliable workers with specialized training. I don't mind paying them well because they allow me to make what I do from my business. I am just saying that obviously Wal-mart isn't making good money because their financial numbers are garbage.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Your thread title states they cannot pay 10$ an hour and it seems you agree..they already pay more than that in Canada( and are doing ok..different place but not that different.
As far as the rest of this thread goes it's great you have done well, it is just not going to happen like that for everyone, much industry and good jobs have gone for good..a staggering number I would say. If people are paid a bit more, they will spend more..probably at walmart.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think a lot of people on here are thinking of things in an emotional way. I don't know what the value of a human life is, but I imagine it is pretty darn high or at least I hope so. However, we are dealing with the value of the labor that someone is performing which is totally separate from the value of human life.

I am not dealing with emotions I am dealing with logic and mathematics. It may not make you happy that certain jobs aren't worth much, but the fact is there are ways to make more with just a little effort. I have attempted to point out many of them that I myself have employed throughout this thread.

I understand if people don't like me, but in business I deal with facts not emotions and the fact is that I am not going to pay you more than you will accept to work for me unless you have specialized skills I need. It doesn't take much to check people out at Wal-mart and frankly you could be replaced with a Kiosk.

If you are going to invest in education or a skill set make sure it adds value. If you go to school and major in Philosophy you simply aren't going to be as valuable to a business as someone with a accounting skills. Everyone knows this and then complains when they don't make as much as someone who made a more intelligent and logical decision when choosing a major.

It is the same with a trade-skill. I can't replace a plumber with a robot, but I can replace a cashier or line cook. Be smart about your decisions and be responsible for yourself.

You don't have to like what I am saying and you certainly don't have to like me, but if you aren't logical and honest about the problem you are going to continue to be disappointed.

Bedtime...peace.
edit on 2015/10/15 by Metallicus because: I still can't spell

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Your thread title states they cannot pay 10$ an hour and it seems you agree..they already pay more than that in Canada( and are doing ok..different place but not that different.
As far as the rest of this thread goes it's great you have done well, it is just not going to happen like that for everyone, much industry and good jobs have gone for good..a staggering number I would say. If people are paid a bit more, they will spend more..probably at walmart.

If people are paid more then Wal-mart has to raise prices and it all nets to zero in the wash. This is common sense. It is great you pay more in Canada, but the value of your money is less than an American dollar (.77) so essentially you are paying LESS than we do in this country or about $7.89. What do you think of THAT? You pay your workers LESS than US.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

The $ not good now but not long ago it was at par or even up a few points or cents..I see your point

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join